how to use keyboard sounds in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fredphoesh

15 Jul 2020

Hello peeps, sorry about the newbie question.

I have a new Arturia Keylab Essential 88 keyboard which comes with thousands of really good sounds.
I have always used a keyboard to play Reason sounds, so I have no idea how to make Reason "hear / see" the sounds that come from the keyboard.
I'm guessing this is pretty easy, but I'm not seeing it!

Help please!
Thanks,
Mark.

QVprod

15 Jul 2020

The sounds, Analog Lab, is a plug-in. It will be listed as a VST in the same place as all the other instrument devices

fredphoesh

15 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
15 Jul 2020
The sounds, Analog Lab, is a plug-in. It will be listed as a VST in the same place as all the other instrument devices
Hi QVprod, thanks for the response.
The keyboard actually arrives tomorrow, so I guess I will find out, but I know you can change the sounds on the keyboard itself. Will this automatically change in Reason, or do you have to select the sounds manually in Reason? Can all the faders and knobs control Reason parameters, cutoff, resonance, LFO etc...?

Thanks,
Mark

Italophile

16 Jul 2020

fredphoesh wrote:
15 Jul 2020
QVprod wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Hi QVprod, thanks for the response.
The keyboard actually arrives tomorrow, so I guess I will find out, but I know you can change the sounds on the keyboard itself. Will this automatically change in Reason, or do you have to select the sounds manually in Reason? Can all the faders and knobs control Reason parameters, cutoff, resonance, LFO etc...?

Thanks,
Mark
The keyboard is designed to control the standalone version of Analog Lab. It can also control the VST in some DAW's (my Keylab MkII works just fine with Reaper).

Reason uses its own control protocol called Remote. Without the Remote files for the keyboard your options are rather limited. The files aren't included with Reason and I'm not sure that Arturia will provide one. They didn't for the Keylab MkII.

fredphoesh

16 Jul 2020

Italophile wrote:
16 Jul 2020
Reason uses its own control protocol called Remote. Without the Remote files for the keyboard your options are rather limited. The files aren't included with Reason and I'm not sure that Arturia will provide one. They didn't for the Keylab MkII.

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
I am really disappointed in the Keylab 88 essential. It is very limited in what can be done with Reason, but worst of all is that it keeps on "disappearing" - there seems to be a driver issue, so if I go to the Midi Control Center and then back to Reason, then Reason has no sound from the keyboard at all. I have been reinstalling software, drivers etc all afternoon and am going to return this keyboard as I cannot get any Transport control or Midi parameter control, so really it is an unreliable and feature-less keyboard at the moment. Pity, it is very pretty and white and not too deep... so it fits in with my aesthetics. Most keyboards are very ugly.

I will start another post asking for advice on a £300 88key keyboard that works well with Reason.

Thanks for the input,
Mark.

TheDragonborg

17 Jul 2020

Frist thing, the Keylab makes no sound of it's own...

Second... nowhere are you going to find a good keyboard with 88 keys for that price.

fredphoesh

17 Jul 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Frist thing, the Keylab makes no sound of it's own...

Second... nowhere are you going to find a good keyboard with 88 keys for that price.
Hi
I am returning the Keylab because it's integration with Reason is almost zero.
I'm getting a Nektar Panorama P6, which has superb integration.
Cheers...

• Information