Reason Rack plugin, how to send midi to two separate devices?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
songsmite

14 Jul 2020

Hi, I would like to send midi to separate 'channels' or racks in the Reason Rack Pluign (vst) in my host Cubase. Usually, that's done by channel but I don't seem to see that option, or?
thanks

Billy+

14 Jul 2020

If you're running the rack as a plugin how does your host handle sending midi?

You should be able to put the two devices into a combinator with a mixer, unless I'm miss reading your question

DaveyG

14 Jul 2020

Use two instances of the RRP.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jul 2020

In live up can select the same midi source for different instruments. So you could have one RRP sending midi and several instruments receiving the same midi.

songsmite

14 Jul 2020

Bummer... Thought that maybe it was a issue of full version.. Well hopefully they will consider this feature as I need to put some 'same sounds' together in one VST (if possible) as the sounds are combined.. I can double up my instrument count which and do the extra bussing in Cubase but it would be far better if RRP can just have midi channel 1-16 for instruments 1-16..

ty

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jul 2020

songsmite wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Bummer... Thought that maybe it was a issue of full version.. Well hopefully they will consider this feature as I need to put some 'same sounds' together in one VST (if possible) as the sounds are combined.. I can double up my instrument count which and do the extra bussing in Cubase but it would be far better if RRP can just have midi channel 1-16 for instruments 1-16..

ty
Wait, I'm confused now. Not sure what you want to achieve exactly.

Send midi to instruments in cubase from RRP? Or send midi to instruments in RRP?

songsmite

14 Jul 2020

I want to use one RRP like a multi-timbral vst. Honestly, it's only for one instrument so for most tracks one instrument is fine. I'm using A-List guitars and some patches have regular range then another for hi range. I'm combining them into one instrument but I send separate midi from the sequencer.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jul 2020

songsmite wrote:
14 Jul 2020
I want to use one RRP like a multi-timbral vst. Honestly, it's only for one instrument so for most tracks one instrument is fine. I'm using A-List guitars and some patches have regular range then another for hi range. I'm combining them into one instrument but I send separate midi from the sequencer.
I think you should be able to do this with the combinator splitting the range and perhaps some utility players 🤔

c_harnach

19 Jul 2020

I'm really disappointed in this as well. Running Reason under Rewire allowed me to access as many devices as I wish via separate MIDI channels. Not so the plugin version. Also, the plugin version doesn't seem to allow assigning MIDI CC values to sliders, knobs, etc. I feel like I've taken a step backward.

QVprod

20 Jul 2020

c_harnach wrote:
19 Jul 2020
I'm really disappointed in this as well. Running Reason under Rewire allowed me to access as many devices as I wish via separate MIDI channels. Not so the plugin version. Also, the plugin version doesn't seem to allow assigning MIDI CC values to sliders, knobs, etc. I feel like I've taken a step backward.
You have to look at it as a different beast. With Rewire you were running the full version of Reason. The plugin is just a piece of that. It’s pretty normal to run multiple instances of a plugin. a built in Midi learn would be better though. Studio One recognizes any parameter I click with the mouse though so it is possible at the DAW level.

songsmite

22 Jul 2020

c_harnach wrote:
19 Jul 2020
I probably could do what I want with muting automation but I don't see how that is possible in Cubase right now. If somebody knows I'd like to know how to do that. Some users are able to do this in some DAW's by some posts I've read here.
(update) you can automate any rack in RRP with Cubase by accessing automation on any track)

• Information