New RE "Obsession"

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
I do miss parameter locking. I've got my effects locked OFF in the VST version. Not that the onboard fx are bad, but I would just rather have them off globally as I flip through the presets. Not Synapse's fault, I know.
Agreed and I hope Reason can at some point have this feature across the board, to be assigned to any parameter in the rack. That would be incredibly useful. For me, I really need to be able to lock pitch bend when using my Seaboard Block.

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020
dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
While assigning controllers...... I noticed on the following buttons I was not able to right click "edit automation" submenu.

Can you get this fixed?

Screenshot_3.jpg
Well the LFO buttons on the left are only for editing. The left most buttons for each are for viewing the parameters for LFO 1 or 2 and the right buttons for each are for viewing/editing steps for step mode. So no need to automate those.

Being able to automate the LFO Shape though could be handy.
There is a need actually. When creating sounds and you want to switch back and forth between LFOs to access its modulation options from a controller and be able to see it onscreen. The only way to see all the modulation options on screen is from the LFO 1 and 2 buttons.

LFO 1 and LFO 2 buttons (1 & 2 ) change the display to show the modulation lane options for that LFO. Among those options which do have (edit automation) are all the other buttons in the lane not shown by the red box image I uploaded earlier. For example.... Frequency button on and off for OSC 1 / OSC 2 / FILTER. By your logic none of these buttons "need" to be automated.... so why are half of them have automation and the other half not? The only one that makes sense that you've mentioned is the EDIT button. The rest imo need automation.

You are telling me that no one would ever want to swap different LFO shapes in the automation lane? Or to select LFO SHAPE from a controller on a patch they are working on?

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Well the LFO buttons on the left are only for editing. The left most buttons for each are for viewing the parameters for LFO 1 or 2 and the right buttons for each are for viewing/editing steps for step mode. So no need to automate those.

It can be automated via the sequencer (custom controls lack the right-click option)

Richard

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

Here is the updated screen shot.

I really need to be able to switch from LFO 1 and 2 lanes to fully utilize this synth from a hardware controller.
Screenshot_4.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 3277 times

mjxl

13 Jul 2020

Can you do it via the almighty Combinator?

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020

There is a need actually. When creating sounds and you want to switch back and forth between LFOs to access its modulation options from a controller and be able to see it onscreen. The only way to see all the modulation options on screen is from the LFO 1 and 2 buttons.

LFO 1 and LFO 2 buttons (1 & 2 ) change the display to show the modulation lane options for that LFO. Among those options which do have (edit automation) are all the other buttons in the lane not shown by the red box image I uploaded earlier. For example.... Frequency button on and off for OSC 1 / OSC 2 / FILTER. By your logic none of these buttons "need" to be automated.... so why are half of them have automation and the other half not? The only one that makes sense that you've mentioned is the EDIT button. The rest imo need automation.

You are telling me that no one would ever want to swap different LFO shapes in the automation lane? Or to select LFO SHAPE from a controller on a patch they are working on?
Well I agreed that automating LFO shape would be handy...and it sounds like they can be automated. Just not via right-click or option-click. And sorry I was only thinking of automation because that's what you mentioned. I wasn't thinking of assigning to a controller.
SynapseAudio wrote:
13 Jul 2020
It can be automated via the sequencer (custom controls lack the right-click option)

Richard
Thanks, Richard! :thumbs_up:

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Here is the updated screen shot.

I really need to be able to switch from LFO 1 and 2 lanes to fully utilize this synth from a hardware controller.
You can remote-control LFO shape, just select Remote override from the main menu - it is just that custom controls don't have the right-click option. About the LFO 1/2 switch, not sure whether that is possible, since it is not a sound parameter, it just switches the view. For sure the proper way is to simply remote what's inside.

Richard

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

This device is released just as I started my demo for The Legend! Guess I'll have to wait a while before trying and buying Obsession
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Despondo
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

adfielding wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Synapse are amazing, I really need to set some time aside to try the RE!
And make another sound set?!? hint. hint. ;-)

manisnotabird

14 Jul 2020

I notice when I assign "Random" to "LFO 1 rate" every time I press a new key while holding a chord, the LFO speed of all the voices changes by the same (random) amount, which is not what I expected. Also assigning either of the two key tracking sources to "LFO 1 Rate" isn't having any effect.

While I'm at it, many of the patches are very loud and are clipping the master output. :(

Loque

14 Jul 2020

The reverb sounds pretty nice and i just read, that it was coded by Mirko Ruta. He coded for a lot of the "big" names as you can see here:
* https://ruta-sound.com/dsp-development-2/
* https://ruta-sound.com/sounddesign/

The cool thing with the RE is, that you can send audio through it (did i already said <3 Synapse!). Would be interesting to see, what this guy can do with some good support and ideas. Maybe he would create some cool and unique fx...
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020
I notice when I assign "Random" to "LFO 1 rate" every time I press a new key while holding a chord, the LFO speed of all the voices changes by the same (random) amount, which is not what I expected. Also assigning either of the two key tracking sources to "LFO 1 Rate" isn't having any effect.

While I'm at it, many of the patches are very loud and are clipping the master output. :(
Seconded!

Auryn

14 Jul 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Dear Richard at Synapse, please consider Quixotic Sound Design for your next synth's patch design, I'll make some amazing patches AND equalize the patch volumes for the same money ;)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

14 Jul 2020

Auryn wrote:
14 Jul 2020
manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Dear Richard at Synapse, please consider Quixotic Sound Design for your next synth's patch design, I'll make some amazing patches AND equalize the patch volumes for the same money ;)
lol

Self promotion smells...
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

14 Jul 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Auryn wrote:
14 Jul 2020

lol

Self promotion smells...
sometimes you gotta hustle
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

antic604

14 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Hi Richard, can you please update the browser thumbnail for Obsession RE? It seems to be missing knobs or step-sequencer display :)

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

14 Jul 2020

Not directly, thumbnails are created by Reason. We'll have to ask them about this, thanks for bringing it up!

Richard

selig
RE Developer

14 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Not directly, thumbnails are created by Reason. We'll have to ask them about this, thanks for bringing it up!

Richard
Hi Richard, maybe that is related to using a custom display for that section?
Selig Audio, LLC

buddard
RE Developer

14 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Richard
In SDK 3 and later you can provide your own custom thumbnail images, called "custom snapshots" in the documentation.

doze

14 Jul 2020

Will this be going into the Synapse Bundle? for an upgrade price?

antic604

14 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Richard
Awesome, thanks! :) :thumbs_up:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DJMaytag

15 Jul 2020

Whoa! I'd heard about the VST but wasn't terribly interested in getting ANY more VSTi's, but an RE... this is going to be an upcoming purchase. Kudos to Synapse on this release!

manisnotabird

16 Jul 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Ah, I read the manual and see both LFOs are global.

Loque

16 Jul 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
16 Jul 2020
manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Ah, I read the manual and see both LFOs are global.
Is this only in "sync" mode or are they always global? A voice-bound LFO is usefull within a synth, global LFOs can be used outside. Not sure, what the OBX had...
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Jul 2020
The reverb sounds pretty nice and i just read, that it was coded by Mirko Ruta. He coded for a lot of the "big" names as you can see here:
* https://ruta-sound.com/dsp-development-2/
* https://ruta-sound.com/sounddesign/

The cool thing with the RE is, that you can send audio through it (did i already said <3 Synapse!). Would be interesting to see, what this guy can do with some good support and ideas. Maybe he would create some cool and unique fx...
Have you tried rapid loque? Lots of the fx are by Mirko ruta (possibly all).

• Information