What is your interest in and use of the RRP?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.

What is your interest in and use of the RRP?

I upgraded to Reason 11 Standard: I primarily use the DAW
13%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Standard: I primarily use the RRP
8%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Suite: I primarily use the DAW
40%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Suite: I primarily use the RRP
12%
Reason Lite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
2%
Reason Lite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
No votes
Reason Intro 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Intro 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
1%
Reason Standard 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Standard 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
No votes
Reason Suite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Suite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
1%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm not interested in the RRP
7%
I use Reason 1-10: The Lite RRP is enough for me and I will use it regularly
5%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm just playing with the Lite RRP and less interested in using it regularly
2%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm just playing with the Lite RRP and interested in getting the standard RRP eventually
2%
I use Reason 1-10: The Intro RRP is enough for me
1%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm not using any version of the RRP, but interested in getting the standard RRP eventually
6%

Total votes: 122
MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2020

madmacman wrote:
11 Jul 2020
For me it was the cheapest option to buy me out of the Reason ecosystem.

Of course, it's a pity for some of my ReFills (e.g. Kings of Kong, which I used regularly), but I'm sure I can learn to live with it. Nowadays I start only Studio One for new projects/ideas, so Reason as a DAW has finally died for me.
Find the samples from the refill thatyou want to use in a particular song and bounce them to audio. Takes a little time but if it’s only like 16 drum hits at least it gets them out of the refill and makes them useable. :)
Last edited by MrFigg on 11 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zakalwe

11 Jul 2020

i mainly upgraded so i can use my RE outside of reason standalone but the new players and synths since my old version are a big bonus. RRP seems really well done overall.

madmacman

11 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jul 2020
Find the samples from the refill thatyou want to use in a particular song and bounce them to audio. Takes a little time but if it’s only like 16 drum hits at least it gets them out of the refill and makes them useable. :)
Yeah, that's what I probably will do. :) It's not that I have already uninstalled my R10. Originally I hoped I could use it via Rewire, but for unknown reasons Rewire is broken on my Mac/Catalina. :( As soon as I add a device to the Rack, the rewired Reason instance freezes and also kills StudioOne as Rewire-host. I gave up on this.

NDKay

11 Jul 2020

I am a bit surprised to see around 25% (atm at 90 Votes) of the RT-users using more the plugin.

I had thought it would be less than 10 %. But maybe it changes if more users vote.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

stratatonic

11 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jul 2020
*Looks at the poll... At first, I was like "oh sweet - most users seem to use Reason DAW proper, so maybe Reason Studios will continue to focus on that as well!?"

Then I realize (at the time of my post)... 25 people voted for Reason DAW proper. That's... TWENTY. FIVE. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

* sigh *

:( :o :shock: :?
*Looks at the poll...

26 people have Versions of Reason less than the current. That's... TWENTY. SIX. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

No wonder ReasonStudios is not putting more effort into the DAW. Almost everyone has upgraded anyways.

* sigh *

:( :o :shock: :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

stratatonic

11 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Indeed, and truth be told - I was just being facetious. ;)
Ahh, you were just being facetious. I thought you were just being a proper troll. ;)

stratatonic

11 Jul 2020

stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020
EnochLight wrote:
09 Jul 2020
*Looks at the poll... At first, I was like "oh sweet - most users seem to use Reason DAW proper, so maybe Reason Studios will continue to focus on that as well!?"

Then I realize (at the time of my post)... 25 people voted for Reason DAW proper. That's... TWENTY. FIVE. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

* sigh *

:( :o :shock: :?
*Looks at the poll...

26 people have Versions of Reason less than the current. That's... TWENTY. SIX. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

No wonder ReasonStudios is not putting more effort into the DAW. Almost everyone has upgraded anyways.

* sigh *

So, almost 1/3 of Reason Talk folks have still not upgraded to Reason 11. That doesn't seem like a very high conversion rate for Reason fans after almost a year.

Maybe ReasonStudios should put more value in product going forward.

joeyluck

11 Jul 2020

Well this poll doesn't necessarily seek to answer who is on what version. Since everyone not on Reason 11 is grouped together in this poll, we can't say for sure who is on what version (would need to revisit another poll for that).

But I would say that if the vast majority of the customers are always on the current version or most previous version (in this case Reason 11 or Reason 10), that would be a success. But yeah this poll can't really answer that. That's my hunch though based on posts I see here and around the web.

EnochLight

11 Jul 2020

stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020

*Looks at the poll...

Blah blah blah
stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020
Ahh, you were just being facetious. I thought you were just being a proper troll. ;)
Serious question: how was my post in any way trolling? :roll:

I'll wait.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ninjadog

12 Jul 2020

Where is the what the heck is an RRP option?

zakalwe

12 Jul 2020

stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020
stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020

*Looks at the poll...

* sigh *

So, almost 1/3 of Reason Talk folks have still not upgraded to Reason 11. That doesn't seem like a very high conversion rate for Reason fans after almost a year.

i appreciate that they've added a lot of DAW features that i wanted over the last couple of versions but compared to the value i got out of my studio one 4 upgrade (which i also got at half price) reason upgrades just don't seem good value at all.

reason intro, on the other hand, is an absolute bargain. unless you have other stuff attached to your licence, why would you upgrade reason standard over buying a new licence for intro?

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

Ninjadog wrote:
12 Jul 2020
It refers to the Reason Rack Plugin (the plugin version of the rack that can be used in other DAWs as a VST3/AU/AAX).

stratatonic

12 Jul 2020

zakalwe wrote:
12 Jul 2020
stratatonic wrote:
11 Jul 2020

i appreciate that they've added a lot of DAW features that i wanted over the last couple of versions but compared to the value i got out of my studio one 4 upgrade (which i also got at half price) reason upgrades just don't seem good value at all.

reason intro, on the other hand, is an absolute bargain. unless you have other stuff attached to your licence, why would you upgrade reason standard over buying a new licence for intro?
I’m still a huge Reason fan, but I agree that not much value is happening on DAW side, compared to the other software that seems to give more value per upgrade. I’ve been somewhat worried, that maybe ReasonStudios has been spreading themselves too thin. Have there been layoffs, perhaps? Nothing’s being done with mobile lately, tickets go unanswered, more energy seems spent on the RPP side of things…There seems to be a real lack of creativity over there as well lately, unless you call breaking up channel strip into separate units creative. I sure didn’t expect that - but I had been expecting a Kong FX break-up at some point... I dunno, maybe in R12…
Here’s hoping that Reason 12 will focus more towards the Reason DAW - there’s not much more value to add to the RPP, is there?

Intro is a great deal, unless you like Malstrom and/or Grain, or you have older sessions that included them...or need 17 tracks... :)
joeyluck wrote:
11 Jul 2020
Well this poll doesn't necessarily seek to answer who is on what version.
Well, your poll didn’t specifically ask that, but it does break the respondents into Reason 11 users and non-Reason 11 users.
joeyluck wrote:
11 Jul 2020
But I would say that if the vast majority of the customers are always on the current version or most previous version (in this case Reason 11 or Reason 10), that would be a success. But yeah this poll can't really answer that. That's my hunch though based on posts I see here and around the web.
Yeah, you could be right. I don’t really follow what’s happening around the web - Reason-wise, but having a ReasonTalk poll with hard-core Reasoners responding, the results would/should definitely be skewed towards more people on the current version(s), rather than not.

A little sale on the regular Reason upgrade will likely get more sub R11’s on board. However, I think I understand the business decision of pushing a Suite discount or three before that even happens.

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2020

@stratatonic

They seem to have been much more focused on RE's, which IMO are pretty awesome.

In the last few years, I've gotten the impression that Propellerhead prefers a less-is-more approach to UX. It has the fewest options of any DAW, and feels very centred around simple concepts that have few modalities.

I find the most recent features are the ones that are most likely to require a bit of jigging around to work, and even then it's much simpler than every other DAW out there. Instead of a complete track freeze that automatically unfreezes when you make edits, you get a bounce with muting of the instrument track.

Although they promised to update the whole UI, grooves (which I suspect isn't used by enough users) was never updated. Pretty sure the UI update was about 4-5 years ago.

But I don't think they've neglected the DAW. I wouldn't be surprised if they're not constantly trying out new UX designs over at ReasonStudios HQ, but only making changes they've found to improve or simplify workflow.

stratatonic

12 Jul 2020

avasopht wrote:
12 Jul 2020
@stratatonic

They seem to have been much more focused on RE's, which IMO are pretty awesome.
I was under the impression that a lot of Reason branded REs were outsourced. But they probably bring in decent revenue - I’m sure the ReasonStudios branded REs do the best in sales.
avasopht wrote:
12 Jul 2020
In the last few years, I've gotten the impression that Propellerhead prefers a less-is-more approach to UX. It has the fewest options of any DAW, and feels very centred around simple concepts that have few modalities.

But I don't think they've neglected the DAW. I wouldn't be surprised if they're not constantly trying out new UX designs over at ReasonStudios HQ, but only making changes they've found to improve or simplify workflow.
Well, here's hoping that you are right. Anyways, I just found out that MP3 export is in Reason Lite. :o :cool: :cool: :thumbs_up: GawdDamnIt! it's about #@##$@!! time!)

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

stratatonic wrote:
12 Jul 2020
Well, your poll didn’t specifically ask that, but it does break the respondents into Reason 11 users and non-Reason 11 users.
Well also, this thread specifically asks "What is your interest in and use of the RRP?" So I imagine not as many users are clicking on the thread to participate as they would with "What version of Reason are you on?" But who knows...

Here's the last poll I think? This was from October, but only 128 total votes. And it allowed up to 5 selections...so it's impossible to know who voted for R11 and R10 etc. In any case, I guess more people have jumped on R11 since then...
viewtopic.php?p=472800

And then you look back at this poll where a vast majority is on the latest version (Reason 9). But more participation—almost 400 votes. But also single options.
viewtopic.php?t=7499417&start=50

So polls here have varied in participation and weren't consistent with the number of selections.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2020

Okay, I've just been using Ableton Live Lite with RRP 11 Lite and I'm loving it.

I'm not even doing much with it, just using Live to sequence a handful of VST and RRP instruments (also using RRP for some effects).

I think this RRP is a goldmine. There's tremendous value even with just the Lite version. As an effect it's like NI's Guitar Rig on steroids!

What I think I like most is how easy it is to context switch and contain Reason chains to a single cohesive plugin window.

songsmite

14 Jul 2020

Adding some instrument parts from reason directly into cubase for easier use of certain functions, eg expression maps.
Although not everything such as automation will be compatible, it will be better for me to work in Cubase Key Editor.

Ninjadog

15 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020
Ninjadog wrote:
12 Jul 2020
It refers to the Reason Rack Plugin (the plugin version of the rack that can be used in other DAWs as a VST3/AU/AAX).
Thanks, I even tried to google RRP and came up empty.
Crazy how much has changed in the almost 10 years since I used Reason.

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

Ninjadog wrote:
15 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Thanks, I even tried to google RRP and came up empty.
Crazy how much has changed in the almost 10 years since I used Reason.
Oh indeed. As you might have noticed, this is now in the new RRP forum. So perhaps that might help.

Billy+

16 Jul 2020

I want to use RRP but I'm still experiencing licensing issues with it when using Odesi.

Crumbfort

18 Jul 2020

I upgraded to 11 Standard (decided I didn't really need Scenic and I owned most of the other stuffs). I use the RRP 100% of the time now in Reaper.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

• Information