New RE "Obsession"

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Bes
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... obsession/

Obsession is a powerful vintage synthesizer emulation. At its core, it uses a classic synth design comprised of two oscillators, a switchable two/four pole low-pass filter, two ADSR envelope generators and two LFOs, all meticulously modeled from the hardware.

A comprehensive modulation matrix, two Step controls for powerful rhythmic sequences, and a high-quality effect chain greatly enhance the versatility of the instrument. Two parts with Single/Dual/Split modes offer plenty of extra room for experienced sound designers.

The individual voice control is perhaps the most important feature of Obsession: Each voice board can differ noticeably from the others in many ways, creating that organic, lively sound that vintage-analog poly synths are famous for.

The back panel of Obsession gives access to the high-quality effects section, the modulation matrix, as well as the CV connections and audio inputs+outputs. The high-quality reverb coded by Mirko Ruta with the added Shimmer effect lifts pads, leads and athmospheric to a new dimension. A stereo delay as well as a Chorus/Ensemble effect can be applied to enhance the output yet further. Temperature-dependent fluctuations can be simulated by the novel “Organic” knob, lifting the expressiveness and sound quality to a new level.

Obsession comes with a massive library of more than 400 patches, crafted by leading sound designers.
- Certified Reason expert

chimp_spanner

13 Jul 2020

I gotta say, this is one of the best sounding REs I've tried in a long time. Just picking patches at random and it's total inspiration fuel. The editing might take some getting used to as there are potentially a lot of voices to control but yeah, this thing absolutely kills. Three of them and a L1M and it's sounding super fat with no mixing or effects beyond what's in the patches. Outstanding!

Loque

13 Jul 2020

Excellent! Audio Input. I <3 Synapse!

Now we just need a song contest :-D
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

13 Jul 2020

This thing does sound amazing! Kinda weird no intro price though or is it already ‘discounted?’

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

Finally it's out! Was impressed with this during testing but couldn't say anything. Any synth heads should trial this one ASAP and see if it fills a void (it does for me!).
Selig Audio, LLC

altron

13 Jul 2020

Currently trialing this RE. First impression is quite good but if I compare it directly with OPX-Pro-II that one still wins for me. It would be cool though to have an RE that could replace the OP-X-Pro since the UI of that VST has super-jumpy knobs on my system.

Tried to recreate one of the simpler brass patches on the Obsession (the 80s Brass III from the Borsetti patch collection) and it doesn't sound as good as the OPX, the sound turns out way brighter than the OPX. I guess a lot depends on the voice fine-tunings but the filter does seem to sound quite different.

Was a bit bummed to not find any patches with vibrato on the mod wheel but instead lots of them with modernish filter LFO mods.
Trap is where music goes to die.

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

altron wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Tried to recreate one of the simpler brass patches on the Obsession (the 80s Brass III from the Borsetti patch collection) and it doesn't sound as good as the OPX, the sound turns out way brighter than the OPX. I guess a lot depends on the voice fine-tunings but the filter does seem to sound quite different.
Do you have an example of both patches that we can compare?

I am thinking you might have stopped short of recreating the patch and decided through bias combined with a rushed decision that one was better than the other.

... seems a bit unbalanced to come to a conclusion based on one patch.

I really would like to hear your comparison to see what you are talking about.
Last edited by dannyF on 13 Jul 2020, edited 3 times in total.

EdGrip

13 Jul 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
13 Jul 2020
This thing does sound amazing! Kinda weird no intro price though or is it already ‘discounted?’
I think this is its standard price. It'll come up on sale in due course - probably 50 like The Legend. But I think the free crossgrade option isn't available if you buy The Legend on sale.

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Finally it's out! Was impressed with this during testing but couldn't say anything. Any synth heads should trial this one ASAP and see if it fills a void (it does for me!).
I agree!

I was looking at a hardware poly but this sounds quite nice indeed.

Would save a bit of coin.... at 1/40 the price of a OB-6. is the OB-6 40x better?

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
13 Jul 2020
What could you have possibly spoiled if the VST has been out for weeks already and the RE sounds the same?

Unless the RE doesn't sound the same... :shock:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
selig wrote:
13 Jul 2020
What could you have possibly spoiled if the VST has been out for weeks already and the RE sounds the same?

I am also curious about performance comparisons.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

I asked for the RE (through email) at 9:14 am and it was in my RS account by 9:21.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
selig wrote:
13 Jul 2020

Out of respect for the dev, I chose to not comment about the RE since it was still in "speculation" stage in the general public at the time I started testing. I guess that comes from being a dev myself, just practicing some "golden rule" living! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

altron wrote:
13 Jul 2020
It would be cool though to have an RE that could replace the OP-X-Pro since the UI of that VST has super-jumpy knobs on my system.

The OB-X is a synth with different technology inside, not to be confused with the OB-XA or OB-8.

Here's the comparison of Obsession with the hardware:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/obcomparisons.zip
altron wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Was a bit bummed to not find any patches with vibrato on the mod wheel but instead lots of them with modernish filter LFO mods.
I'm not a fan of having MW=vibrato on every patch. Sure it would be more vintage, but it just feels like an unnecessary limitation. Also note that Aftertouch is sometimes used instead of the modulation wheel to do vibrato type effects. Ihmo that feels much better in the first place, and it frees the mod wheel for other tasks.

Richard

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
13 Jul 2020
I'm not a fan of having MW=vibrato on every patch. Sure it would be more vintage, but it just feels like an unnecessary limitation. Also note that Aftertouch is sometimes used instead of the modulation wheel to do vibrato type effects. Ihmo that feels much better in the first place, and it frees the mod wheel for other tasks.
I'm using this with my Seaboard Block (more specifically trying the VST with MPE support for that) and performing my own vibrato :) :thumbs_up:

The Seaboard Block still works ok with the RE, but without MPE support and individual note pitch bend, it's not quite as useful. I hope someday Reason can have MPE support. Still sounds great though!

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
I asked for the RE (through email) at 9:14 am and it was in my RS account by 9:21.
So you got it for free? what makes you deserving of that when the rest of us have to pay for it?

If I understand what you are saying here.... if you got a deal I wouldn't go around bragging about it out of respect to the developer.

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
So you got it for free? what makes you deserving of that when the rest of us have to pay for it?

If I understand what you are saying here.... if you got a deal I wouldn't go around bragging about it out of respect to the developer.
I believe this means he had bought the VST. The crossgrade is free.

altron

13 Jul 2020

SynapseAudio wrote:
13 Jul 2020
altron wrote:
13 Jul 2020
It would be cool though to have an RE that could replace the OP-X-Pro since the UI of that VST has super-jumpy knobs on my system.

The OB-X is a synth with different technology inside, not to be confused with the OB-XA or OB-8.

Here's the comparison of Obsession with the hardware:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/obcomparisons.zip
altron wrote:
13 Jul 2020

Richard
Thanks for the reply!

Right! The OP-X is based on the OB-X and the Obsession is (supposedly?) based on the OB-XA so a comparison doesn't seem fair. The oscillators of them sound quite different.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020

LOL.

And yes thanks Joey - I purchased the VST and asked for the RE version.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Jul 2020
dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020

LOL.

And yes thanks Joey - I purchased the VST and asked for the RE version.
Cool. Which version do you prefer?

adfielding

13 Jul 2020

Synapse are amazing, I really need to set some time aside to try the RE!

DaveyG

13 Jul 2020

The VST version is a tad cheaper, at least in GBP. Save yourself a pint and a half of beer!

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

I don't hear a difference in sound, which is great.

I do miss parameter locking. I've got my effects locked OFF in the VST version. Not that the onboard fx are bad, but I would just rather have them off globally as I flip through the presets. Not Synapse's fault, I know.

I REALLY like the LFO step sequencers being on the front panel and I wish the VST was like this (I HATE HATE HATE flipping back and forth on the VST).

And again, not Synapse's fault but it's hard going back to a tiny interface when the VST version is big and all up in your face.

Both versions are great.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dannyF

13 Jul 2020

While assigning controllers...... I noticed on the following buttons I was not able to right click "edit automation" submenu.

Can you get this fixed?
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
13 Jul 2020
While assigning controllers...... I noticed on the following buttons I was not able to right click "edit automation" submenu.

Can you get this fixed?

Screenshot_3.jpg
Well the LFO buttons on the left are only for editing. The left most buttons for each are for viewing the parameters for LFO 1 or 2 and the right buttons for each are for viewing/editing steps for step mode. So no need to automate those.

Being able to automate the LFO Shape though could be handy.

• Information