"Precision Stereo Compressor" New RE from Red Rock Sound

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NDKay

10 Jul 2020

New Compressor landed....

Go here : https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/

Intro Price until 31 July !
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

MarkTarlton

10 Jul 2020

I have the UAD Neve 33609 and I don't use it as much as I should and am not looking for a RE version, but this looks interesting for people who want an alternative to the SSL or API.

Djstarski

10 Jul 2020

Great addition to the rack . Quick question . How do you control Mid and side with only one set of controls ? You would need two . one to control mid and one to control side .

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Great addition to the rack . Quick question . How do you control Mid and side with only one set of controls ? You would need two . one to control mid and one to control side .
You would use two instances of the re? One set in mid and another in side?

I would just use it in mid and leave the side alone in most cases 🤷‍♂️

Djstarski

10 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020

That makes sense . but why put an M/S mode on the device ? Isn't that a little confusing ?

guitfnky

10 Jul 2020

I was going to say, check the manual, but it doesn’t seem like there is one.

does anyone know what specifically this is emulating? if it’s a 1:1 emulation, maybe it’s the same way the original was designed?
Last edited by guitfnky on 29 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kalm

10 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jul 2020

That makes sense . but why put an M/S mode on the device ? Isn't that a little confusing ?
Sometimes yes. Acustica has done that recently and threw me for a bit.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Kalm

10 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2020
I was going to say, check the manual, but it doesn’t seem like their is one.

does anyone know what specifically this is emulating? if it’s a 1:1 emulation, maybe it’s the same way the original was designed?
First post above, Neve 33609. S1 has a Fat Channel Compressor based on this as well.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Many other Reason REs do this from Synapse GQ7 to my own ColoringEQ, not to mention Red Rock C1-L1, Red Queen 10 Band 3 Mode Equalizer, Pandemic Multiband Autopan, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some more. Often times you only want to affect one or the other in my experience.
Selig Audio, LLC

Djstarski

10 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Many other Reason REs do this from Synapse GQ7 to my own ColoringEQ, not to mention Red Rock C1-L1, Red Queen 10 Band 3 Mode Equalizer, Pandemic Multiband Autopan, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some more. Often times you only want to affect one or the other in my experience.
When ever i use any waves plugins , they have separate controls for the Mid and Side . Which makes sense to my brain . If i wanted to control the mid and side separately from one another , could that be done with one device ?

guitfnky

10 Jul 2020

Kalm wrote:
10 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2020
I was going to say, check the manual, but it doesn’t seem like their is one.

First post above, Neve 33609. S1 has a Fat Channel Compressor based on this as well.
ah right, I saw it and glossed right over it. thanks!

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
selig wrote:
10 Jul 2020

When ever i use any waves plugins , they have separate controls for the Mid and Side . Which makes sense to my brain . If i wanted to control the mid and side separately from one another , could that be done with one device ?
Yes it's possible but doubles the number of controls and potential CPU to do it in one device. It's really such a rare thing to need in my experience, and Reason allows duplicating the device for the other channel which is next to impossible to do (or do as simply and efficiently) in any other DAW as it is in Reason. And personally, if I need separate mid and side EQ or compression I'd actually much prefer to see both setting at the same time side by side rather than superimposed over each other on one UI.
[and as far as ColoringEQ goes, some folks already say it's too complicated, so I really don't want to add further complexity!]
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2020

I use the IK Multimedia Vari-mu compressor for mid/side as it has dual setups of knobs. Very handy.
For EQs I will agree it is ok to just handle mid OR side in an instance, but I prefer to have mid AND side in a compressor.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Red Rock

10 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
In M/S mode input stereo signal is encoded into Mid/Side format, then both signal components are processed by two compressors and maximum gain reduction of both compressors is used. This mode is used as a special effect for stereo signal.

To save space in the rack, we abandoned the duplication of knob's. If you want to adjust the Mid and Side differently, just use 2 compressor modules, one in mid mode, the second in side mode
Last edited by Red Rock on 11 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rock

10 Jul 2020

MarkTarlton wrote:
10 Jul 2020
I have the UAD Neve 33609 and I don't use it as much as I should
It would be interesting to compare them side by side.:)

geronimo

11 Jul 2020

Recovery controls have not identical values ..!
I have the impression that the sensitivity in effect input, processor is not at all the same _

Djstarski

11 Jul 2020

Red Rock wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
10 Jul 2020
In M/S mode input stereo signal is encoded into Mid/Side format, then both signal components are processed by two compressors and maximum gain reduction of both compressors is used. This mode is used as a special effect for stereo signal.

I`m sorry you lost me . I thought mid/side processing was created for mastering mainly , so that you can process the mid and side information independent from one another with EQ and Compression . That`s why that m/s mode throws me off .I could be wrong ,so please forgive me if i am .

selig
RE Developer

11 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
11 Jul 2020
Red Rock wrote:
10 Jul 2020

I`m sorry you lost me . I thought mid/side processing was created for mastering mainly , so that you can process the mid and side information independent from one another with EQ and Compression . That`s why that m/s mode throws me off .I could be wrong ,so please forgive me if i am .
I believe Red Rock already said if you want separate Mid/Side, use two compressors (like just about ever other Reason device that supports Mid/Side).
But these days if your mix needs that level of work during mastering, better to simply load up the mix in your DAW and fix it there. M/S in mastering was a "fix" to address mixes that could not be recalled.
These days M/S processing is more creative effect, since as soon as you vary the level of one or the other signals, the stereo image is no longer retained (which is often the point if you're being creative!).
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

11 Jul 2020

so if I understand correctly, in devices with a single set of mid/side controls, it works like this...

-stereo audio goes in...
-it’s then split into a mid signal, which is compressed (or EQd, etc.)...
-and a side signal, which is compressed separately, from the mid signal, BUT using the same settings...
-then they’re summed back together into a modified stereo output

so it’s sort of analogous to taking two different tracks and slapping the same compressor on them, with identical settings, then mixing them together into a bus—both compressors will be working differently because even though the source material is (probably) similar, they’re not actually identical. is that in the ballpark?

ProfessaKaos

12 Jul 2020

Anyone compared this to the UAD version?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2020
so if I understand correctly, in devices with a single set of mid/side controls, it works like this...

-stereo audio goes in...
-and a side signal, which is compressed separately, from the mid signal, BUT using the same settings...

so it’s sort of analogous to taking two different tracks and slapping the same compressor on them, with identical settings, then mixing them together into a bus—both compressors will be working differently because even though the source material is (probably) similar, they’re not actually identical. is that in the ballpark?
Nope, normally not:

-stereo in
-mid/side split into two signals
-In IK's TRackS you can affect M/S simultaneously, but normally you switch to Mid only - and set your singel knob setup as you like it, then when you switch to Side only the knobs on the unit will show and affect Side only. Your Mid settings remains in effect, you just don't see it when you have a single knob setup. So the knobs will jump to whatever they were set to in Mid or Side respectively when you switch from M to S.
-However for the units with DUAL setup of knobs, you get one set for Mid and one set for Side on the panel.

Since the side signal typically is very weak you NEED to be able to control those setting separately from the Mid IMO.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Djstarski

12 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
11 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
11 Jul 2020

I believe Red Rock already said if you want separate Mid/Side, use two compressors (like just about ever other Reason device that supports Mid/Side).
But these days if your mix needs that level of work during mastering, better to simply load up the mix in your DAW and fix it there. M/S in mastering was a "fix" to address mixes that could not be recalled.
These days M/S processing is more creative effect, since as soon as you vary the level of one or the other signals, the stereo image is no longer retained (which is often the point if you're being creative!).
Just when I thought something makes sense , it now becomes confusing again . I mix and master tracks using reason . So if I purchase a device with a mid/side mode I expect it to have two controls for me to do my job . I believe if the mode does not work in that way it should not be there .

If you go to other plugins with this function , you’ll see two separate controls . One for mid and the other for side . I now know that I can use two instances of the device to achieve my goal.

It’s like having a stereo reverb, but it does not give you true stereo . To get true stereo you need two reverbs .

It’s just the way my mind works .
I hope this makes sense.

Red Rock

12 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2020

-stereo audio goes in...

Nope, normally not:

-stereo in
-In IK's TRackS you can affect M/S simultaneously, but normally you switch to Mid only - and set your singel knob setup as you like it, then when you switch to Side only the knobs on the unit will show and affect Side only. Your Mid settings remains in effect, you just don't see it when you have a single knob setup. So the knobs will jump to whatever they were set to in Mid or Side respectively when you switch from M to S.
-However for the units with DUAL setup of knobs, you get one set for Mid and one set for Side on the panel.

Since the side signal typically is very weak you NEED to be able to control those setting separately from the Mid IMO.
I don’t have IK Multimedia plugins, but I assume that the “=” sign means that the settings for the mid and side channels are the same, it’s the same as the M / S mode in our compressor

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2020

-stereo audio goes in...

Nope, normally not:

-stereo in

it seems we might be talking about two different things—I’m with you on the way it works when a plugin has separate controls for each band (mid vs. side)—whether or not both sets of controls are visible to the user at any one time.

I’m specifically talking about plugins where there is no second set of controls at all. based on what Red Rock is saying, I *think* I may have it right.

Djstarski

12 Jul 2020

Red Rock wrote:
12 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Nope, normally not:

-stereo in

I don’t have IK Multimedia plugins, but I assume that the “=” sign means that the settings for the mid and side channels are the same, it’s the same as the M / S mode in our compressor

The = sign means stereo not m/s
This is the way i understand it :

Stereo = Both left and right channels are treated equally

Dual mono = Left and right channels are treated separately

Mid/Side = The middle information and the side information are treated separately .

Please correct me if i`m wrong ?

• Information