What is your interest in and use of the RRP?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.

What is your interest in and use of the RRP?

I upgraded to Reason 11 Standard: I primarily use the DAW
13%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Standard: I primarily use the RRP
8%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Suite: I primarily use the DAW
40%
I upgraded to Reason 11 Suite: I primarily use the RRP
12%
Reason Lite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
2%
Reason Lite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
No votes
Reason Intro 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Intro 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
1%
Reason Standard 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Standard 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
No votes
Reason Suite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the DAW
No votes
Reason Suite 11 is my first version: I primarily use the RRP
1%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm not interested in the RRP
7%
I use Reason 1-10: The Lite RRP is enough for me and I will use it regularly
5%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm just playing with the Lite RRP and less interested in using it regularly
2%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm just playing with the Lite RRP and interested in getting the standard RRP eventually
2%
I use Reason 1-10: The Intro RRP is enough for me
1%
I use Reason 1-10: I'm not using any version of the RRP, but interested in getting the standard RRP eventually
6%

Total votes: 122
joeyluck

08 Jul 2020

Like Reason, there are a few versions of the RRP (Reason Rack Plugin). Until recently, there was just the Intro version and the Standard version. Now there is also the Lite version. With the number of built-in devices not included in Reason Lite, I would think that it would appeal more to those who are new to Reason and less to someone who is a Reason Standard user. I'm curious what version of Reason people are using and what interest they have in the different versions of the RRP.

A comparison of Reason Lite/Intro/Standard:
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 11-3-Lite-

There are many options here, and hopefully I covered them all. So please read through the options carefully. This is more of a focus on the RRP. In case of confusion, revoting is allowed.

Please feel free to expand upon your answers below with the reasons why.

A note of clarification: in the options that say you are using the Lite RRP and are interested in the standard RRP, “standard” here specifically just means “non-Lite” (standard or suite versions).

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2020

My personal interest in upgrading Reason hinges a lot on VST midi out in Reason as well as in RRP. From social media and various Reason groups I see this request quite a bit.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2020

The only reason I wanted the RRP was to liberate my REs. Chances of me upgrading from 10 are next to nothing. I’ll probably never need another DAW other than Reason 10 anyway but it’s good to know that if I ever did move then the thousands (probably) I’ve spent on REs just won’t go to dust :).
Yeah...and Lite does that for me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2020

I perhaps wrongly worried where reason was heading when 11 came out and was disappointed that the focus didn't appear to be on the daw much. I had also had issues with some vst not being fully functional so had been looking at alternatives available. The rrp gave me an opportunity to still use the re's I had bought and I'm quite happy with using it in s1 now you have midi out.

zoidkirb

08 Jul 2020

Happily using the RRP Lite in Cubase and Live at the moment.
Still regularly firing up R10 standalone too.
What Reason is strong at - modulation, automation, the 'sound design playground' is always going to mean for me that RRP+Daw 'x' is never going to be a substitute for the real deal.
IMO Reason 11 was lacklustre, and getting this Lite gift has further cemented me into not upgrading. I fully expect to jump on R12 eventually however.

stratatonic

08 Jul 2020

I'm probably more interested in R11.2Lite with full devices than the cut-down R11.3Lite with RRP.

I'm currently on R8, but was using R10Lite to get ideas down and to have a few VSTs along for the ride. So I'll be happy with the few workflow improvements that R11 brings.

I've already encountered issues using the RRP Lite with Logic, namely combinator patches for REs, for example, will not open up due to the stripped down device offerings in 11.3 , and the lack of a Dr. OctoRex - which I personally use a lot. Yes, I do realize that is the point of a Lite version - to get you just frustrated enough to pony up and buy the full version, but so far my initial enthusiasm for using the RPP in Logic has been lessened somewhat. It feels like an awkward hack, somehow, in the limited time so far that I have experimented with it. Totally agree with:
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Jul 2020
...for me that RRP+Daw 'x' is never going to be a substitute for the real deal.
I do expect to upgrade to a full Reason eventually. I just personally thought that R11 did not give enough value for the money on the DAW side of the equation, and also there was no AU RRP support initially as well. With no discount yet for the regular version of Reason (only for Suite - not interested), I suppose I was just waiting for R12 to come along. No rush - I am still on R8!

I hope Props focus more on the Reason DAW for the next version.

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2020

On reason 10 and will be on it through Reason 11. I'd be fine using R10 for a really long time if necessary. R12 better have lots of new DAW things or I won't update to that either. If all 12 has to offer is the resizable GUI and teeny tiny DAW updates like 11, that's not enough for me to upgrade. Don't care about Reason's factory devices at all so the Lite RRP is serving me well.

In conclusion, Reason 10 + Reason Lite's RRP is the right combo for me, and I have absolutely ZERO desire to upgrade to 11 and I'm not expecting much for R12 either, so thanks Reason Studios - I'm all set now.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jlgrimes

09 Jul 2020

I pretty much use Reason as a plugin getting instruments when I need them.

I find my most favourite instruments:

1. Grain
2. Uumpf Retro drums
3. Complex.
4 monobassline module.
5 new chorus
6 new flanger
7 beatmap

Reason becomes even more useful when using DAWS like Reaper that lacks good basic instruments especially the drum machines.

kuhliloach

09 Jul 2020

I have lots of RE's. The Lite RRP is truly a blessing as a Reason 10 owner. I'm so excited about it in Logic Pro X 10.5 because Apple managed to develop Logic in some amazing ways without charging existing customers for upgrades. Meanwhile Reason keeps asking for paid upgrades without delivering the most important fundamental aspects of DAW development. I had thought switching to Logic as a primary DAW was going to mean saying goodbye to all the RE's I've purchased. So, my interest and use is literally the "rescuing" of my plug-ins, and for that I am grateful.

lrey

09 Jul 2020

I'm a Reason 11 Suite user. I could care less about Reason as a plugin. Reason is in catch-up mode in terms of DAW features. I'm definitely envious of other DAWs with their solid list of features.

Reason Studios need to quit twiddling their fingers and listen to their customers. I mean, a lot of other companies go out of their way to get customer/user input.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Jul 2020

Reason as a plugin is my new jam. I'm loving it. Still fire up standalone for variation (and the day job, of course) but finishing music is all done in live now, and the rack plugin is awesome there.

R11 suite user.

EnochLight

09 Jul 2020

*Looks at the poll... At first, I was like "oh sweet - most users seem to use Reason DAW proper, so maybe Reason Studios will continue to focus on that as well!?"

Then I realize (at the time of my post)... 25 people voted for Reason DAW proper. That's... TWENTY. FIVE. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

* sigh *

:( :o :shock: :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jul 2020
*Looks at the poll... At first, I was like "oh sweet - most users seem to use Reason DAW proper, so maybe Reason Studios will continue to focus on that as well!?"

Then I realize (at the time of my post)... 25 people voted for Reason DAW proper. That's... TWENTY. FIVE. PEOPLE. Out of tens of thousands of licensed users.

* sigh *

My guess is that Reason has good user data from the online logins, purchases, and see pretty well how the usage is, hence why they still say they are committed to the DAW.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

10 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jul 2020

* sigh *

To be fair, tens of thousands haven't voted though...

Also, the poll as well as the options for Reason 1-10 users is still completely focused on the RRP. It's always difficult to make a comprehensive poll with a limited number of options.

But if wanting to look at the DAW, 39 out of 61 (currently 64%) say they primarily use the DAW or aren't interested in the RRP.

EnochLight

10 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
10 Jul 2020
My guess is that Reason has good user data from the online logins, purchases, and see pretty well how the usage is, hence why they still say they are committed to the DAW.
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Also, the poll as well as the options for Reason 1-10 users is still completely focused on the RRP. It's always difficult to make a comprehensive poll with a limited number of options.

But if wanting to look at the DAW, 39 out of 61 (currently 64%) say they primarily use the DAW or aren't interested in the RRP.
Indeed, and truth be told - I was just being facetious. ;) With Mattias chiming in recently and assuring us Reason DAW proper will of course still be developed, I'm not worried. But seeing polls like this does often remind me just how small of a lens we are in this community.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

10 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
10 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Indeed, and truth be told - I was just being facetious. ;) With Mattias chiming in recently and assuring us Reason DAW proper will of course still be developed, I'm not worried. But seeing polls like this does often remind me just how small of a lens we are in this community.
Indeed. I suspect the majority of active users on RT are mostly DAW only users. And while there are thousands registered, there’s probably about 50ish people that post regularly. Not surprising, Reason has always had a bit of a cult/loyalist following stemming from it being closed off for so long. Don’t think there’s any other DAW community that defended their software so hard :lol: . Then there the bragging rights of making something 100% Reason. And we being sort of the “official” forum aside from Facebook/Twitter. Not sure how big the Reddit community is. Thinking of it like that gives a much larger appreciation for RS stopping through here from time to time.

joeyluck

10 Jul 2020

Yeah forums in general are not as popular with the younger crowds, which are often but not always the newest users.

EnochLight

10 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
10 Jul 2020
Indeed. I suspect the majority of active users on RT are mostly DAW only users. And while there are thousands registered, there’s probably about 50ish people that post regularly. Not surprising, Reason has always had a bit of a cult/loyalist following stemming from it being closed off for so long. Don’t think there’s any other DAW community that defended their software so hard :lol: . Then there the bragging rights of making something 100% Reason. And we being sort of the “official” forum aside from Facebook/Twitter. Not sure how big the Reddit community is. Thinking of it like that gives a much larger appreciation for RS stopping through here from time to time.
Totally! Being such a small group I'm really appreciative that RS does chime in here occasionally. Oh boy - I guess I should put the brakes on before I'm labelled a "Reason Studios Apologist" :roll: or something! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2020

If I were considering migrating or occasionally using another DAW, RRP will allow me to access my Refills and REs.

I've considered Live with Push for its workflow, and Studio One for better supporting the transport controls on my keyboard. Ableton with Push is the only reason I'd use another DAW at the moment (or maybe Melodyne in Studio One).

I got myself RS 11 Lite just in case. At least with that I can use REs and some Redrum kits - but I'd need at least Thor, Maelstrom and NNXT for a serious migration. I like my Refills ;)

chimp_spanner

10 Jul 2020

avasopht wrote:
10 Jul 2020
If I were considering migrating or occasionally using another DAW, RRP will allow me to access my Refills and REs.

I've considered Live with Push for its workflow, and Studio One for better supporting the transport controls on my keyboard. Ableton with Push is the only reason I'd use another DAW at the moment (or maybe Melodyne in Studio One).

I got myself RS 11 Lite just in case. At least with that I can use REs and some Redrum kits - but I'd need at least Thor, Maelstrom and NNXT for a serious migration. I like my Refills ;)
Live 10 Suite and Push 2 over here. It is pretty amazing. But, so far, I’m still working primarily in Reason. I think I might try making loops and clips in Live, bouncing and then arranging and automating effects in Reason.

Data_Shrine

10 Jul 2020

I think I will use the RRP, eventually. Updating to R11 isn't just a priority. The next version might do the trick, we'll see. For now, using R10 on it's own is good enough, taking a break from my other DAW.

BlkRd

11 Jul 2020

I own Bitwig and Maschine as well as 11 Suite. I honestly feel all things considered I have had value from every update. Ive updated every version on release day haha despite trying not to. But then, tinkering with DAWs is quite literally all I really do when not with fam or at work.

I love the RRP and use it with Bitwig extensively (they are a very powerful pairing, and endlessly modular and inspiring), though recently I figured I could open the RRP in the Nekterine VST within Maschine. I am really enjoying working out the possibilities with that set up, and especially like how nekterine can be used to create patches for RRP stacks.

I would also say that I love the Reason Daw. I use it daily, I find all three DAWs (I know maschine technically isnt a DAW) are amazing and fun, just different. Due to finances though, I will say that I upgrade Reason over Bitwig, and never want to give NI any of my cash again due to a distaste for them as a company.

I would stop upgrading and supporting Reason Studios should they go down the subscription route.

BlkRd

11 Jul 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
10 Jul 2020
avasopht wrote:
10 Jul 2020

Live 10 Suite and Push 2 over here. It is pretty amazing. But, so far, I’m still working primarily in Reason. I think I might try making loops and clips in Live, bouncing and then arranging and automating effects in Reason.
I do similar with maschine. I make compositions very quickly with the hardware of maschine and its deep integration with the software (KU10 suite) now the RRP too, I then bounce out the groups (idividual drum hits, no buses) and then arrange and process more in Reason. Always fancied Live and Push, but went with Maschine when I had the opportinuty of getting either set up. Dont regret Maschine as I feel I have plenty DAW functionality between Bitwig and R11 and I grew to really like the limitations of Maschine when composing and creating, its just a big mad clunky sampler thing haha. I bet Live and Push are great though, I'll inevitably get that set up one day, but wont be for a long time!

How does the RRP work with Push when jamming on the HW and avoiding the mouse? Can you make decent ground on making patches from scratch in synths etc?

madmacman

11 Jul 2020

For me it was the cheapest option to buy me out of the Reason ecosystem.

Of course, it's a pity for some of my ReFills (e.g. Kings of Kong, which I used regularly), but I'm sure I can learn to live with it. Nowadays I start only Studio One for new projects/ideas, so Reason as a DAW has finally died for me.

• Information