How do I setup sustain pedal in Complex-1?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Vocalead

28 Jun 2020

Can anybody here please explain how does one route a sustain pedal to work with the Complex-1 modular synth?

Bjørn Felle

30 Jun 2020

my sustain pedal isn't working so I can't test this, but if you put Complex-1 into a Combinator then you can choose sustain pedal as source in the combinator programmer and route it to various parameters of Complex-1. If that doesn't give enough control then you could use a CV generator rack extension (I like the Aftermath Audio CV 8x4) and have sustain routed to that so it generates a CV signal, then wire the CV cable to the CV input on the Complex-1, and then on the front of Complex-1 route the CV input to whatever you want to modulate. I'd be really interested to know if this works as I can't test it myself

Vocalead

06 Jul 2020

Hey man thanks for your reply. Yeah, this is totally possible. I've done it before with a combinator and a ModPanel16 rack extension.

What I did was I assigned a physical pedal to a switch in the ModPanel that would in turn output CV, which was connected to the combinator CV1 input, and then used the programmer section of the combinator to route this to the amp Release portion of several instruments at once, including NNXT a Malmstrom and a Thor. This is possible with any instrument that has an amp ADSR which is pretty much any.

I had to do this a couple of times for a show in which the pedal I had was not outputting a sustain (CC64) message but converting the CC of the pedal was not an option. It works flawlessly.

On the other hand, I was able to successfully do this with the Complex-1 as well, with a newly created patch from scratch, however for some reason I haven't been able to make it work in another already established patch that I have. Granted I'm still learning my way through the Complex-1 and modular synthesis, so I know I'm pretty close.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestion, I was just wondering if this could be done natively somehow within the Complex-1.

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2020

Sustain controlling Release time isn't sustain - it will eventually decay to silence. What a sustain pedal needs to do, which it cannot do with Complex, is to hold the gate open even after a key is released (latch).

One solution I found is to use a Combinator and the AutoLatch Player, with your sustain pedal assigned to turn it off and the Player in LATCH mode (third option, IIRC). Works perfectly!
Selig Audio, LLC

Vocalead

10 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2020
Sustain controlling Release time isn't sustain - it will eventually decay to silence. What a sustain pedal needs to do, which it cannot do with Complex, is to hold the gate open even after a key is released (latch).

One solution I found is to use a Combinator and the AutoLatch Player, with your sustain pedal assigned to turn it off and the Player in LATCH mode (third option, IIRC). Works perfectly!
I've been looking into this AutoLatch rack extension and it seems interesting. I'm a MIDI guitar player and was wondering if you can use this to program an auto-sustain. One that would sustain notes while I'm holding down a chord and once I change the chord (lift both hands so there's a full note-off message on all notes) and hold down a new chord, the sustain would lift and then activate again until the next lift.

Could you do something similar with the AutoLatch and how would you go about it? Thanks

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2020

Vocalead wrote:
10 Jul 2020
I've been looking into this AutoLatch rack extension and it seems interesting. I'm a MIDI guitar player and was wondering if you can use this to program an auto-sustain. One that would sustain notes while I'm holding down a chord and once I change the chord (lift both hands so there's a full note-off message on all notes) and hold down a new chord, the sustain would lift and then activate again until the next lift.

Could you do something similar with the AutoLatch and how would you go about it? Thanks
OK, to be clear, you want sustain to activate ONLY when you're NOT playing a chord? And then deactivate when the next chord is played? Like how a piano player would use a sustain pedal?
I don't think AutoLatch can do this as designed, but I could be wrong. Maybe Delta MIDI Computer could be programmed to do something like this?
Selig Audio, LLC

Vocalead

14 Jul 2020

Thanks, actually I looked into the AutoLatch rack extension and ended up buying it, seems to be suitable for a couple of ideas that I had wih my MIDI guitar, plus I've never seen anything like it before.

I can't really program it to do exactly what I was hoping for as mentioned in my previous post however it works great as a workaround so all in all I'm happy with the solution.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

• Information