Last Clip Behaviour Preference

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

28 Jun 2020

Hi All!

I have an idea. I just e-mailed Reason Studio's with it.

In the Preferences General Tab, Last Clip Behaviour.

Last Clip Behaviour -

Loop Back To Start                                 
Stop                                 
Stop At End Marker                                 
Off

If Loop Back To Start is selected, when the Song Position Pointer reaches the end of the last clip it automatically loops back to the start of the song. If Stop is selected, the Song Position Pointer stops at the end of the last clip and thus the song stops playing. Stop At End Marker stops playback when it reaches the End Marker and Off behaves as it does now, doesn't react at all after the last clip.

Also an End Marker Shortcut Amount in the preferences. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (the amount of bars a new keyboard shortcut (I propose ctrl E) will place the End Marker after the last clip in the sequencer. So ctrl E in the sequencer will place the End Marker the specified (in the above preference) distance after the last clip. This preference defaults to say 5 so that if you use the shortcut without specifying, it will assume 5 bars. I have mentioned in the End Marker shortcut in a previous "Shortcuts" thread I made, I think.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

28 Jun 2020

Complicated....Keep it simple please.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

29 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Complicated....Keep it simple please.

guitfnky

29 Jun 2020

I think it would be better off to base it on the end (E) marker. setting it to do something at the end of a clip might work in some cases, but if you’ve got a clip going through a time-based effect like reverb or delay, it’s going to cut off right at the end of the clip, so you would need to drag the endpoint of the clip out to accommodate if you wanted to hear the delay/reverb fade off naturally.

personally, I’d settle for an automatic stop, and return the play head to where it was (based on the setting for that in Preferences). another thing that kind of baffles me, as to how it’s still not there.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
29 Jun 2020
I think it would be better off to base it on the end (E) marker. setting it to do something at the end of a clip might work in some cases, but if you’ve got a clip going through a time-based effect like reverb or delay, it’s going to cut off right at the end of the clip, so you would need to drag the endpoint of the clip out to accommodate if you wanted to hear the delay/reverb fade off naturally.

personally, I’d settle for an automatic stop, and return the play head to where it was (based on the setting for that in Preferences). another thing that kind of baffles me, as to how it’s still not there.
I agree, a common request is to have playback stop and the song end marker. So with that approach one could also have "loop song" as a second option.
So three simple options could be:
1-Keep Playing past End Marker (current functionality)
2-Stop Playback at End Marker
3-Loop Song (from bar 1 to End Marker)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

30 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
29 Jun 2020

It wouldn't stop playing the reverb or delay though at the end of the last clip, it doesn't do that now if you stop it so that isn't an issue. :-)

Creativemind

30 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
29 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jun 2020

I agree, a common request is to have playback stop and the song end marker. So with that approach one could also have "loop song" as a second option.
So three simple options could be:
1-Keep Playing past End Marker (current functionality)
2-Stop Playback at End Marker
3-Loop Song (from bar 1 to End Marker)
I personally wouldn't want the song to loop at the end marker necassarily, it could be 5 bars after the last clip or more so a big gap of nothing and also for continuity. I still think the best behaviour is to play to the end marker or past the end marker, or stop / loop at the end of the last clip. A lot of daw's do the loop back to the beginning after the last clip, FL Studio and Reaper that I know of.

selig
RE Developer

30 Jun 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jun 2020
I personally wouldn't want the song to loop at the end marker necassarily, it could be 5 bars after the last clip or more so a big gap of nothing and also for continuity. I still think the best behaviour is to play to the end marker or past the end marker, or stop / loop at the end of the last clip. A lot of daw's do the loop back to the beginning after the last clip, FL Studio and Reaper that I know of.
Then simply put your end marker to make it happen as you wish - if you want a big gap, it's totally under your control in this scenario. And if you don't want it to loop, don't select the loop option, simples!

IMO it's about having control vs some "automatic" behavior - I guess "I" want to define the end of my song, not the last clip…
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

30 Jun 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jun 2020

It wouldn't stop playing the reverb or delay though at the end of the last clip, it doesn't do that now if you stop it so that isn't an issue. :-)
still, there would be downsides to doing it this way. if the end of the clip is at one tempo, and the start of the song is at the other, any tempo-based effects will produce audio glitches when the section loops back. and even if it’s at the same tempo, if you’ve got a long delay of stuff from the end of the song droning on while it’s looped back around back to the beginning of the song, the start of your song won’t sound as it’s supposed to, unless you stop playback and wait for the sound to die down. or artificially lengthen the song by dragging out the clip or adding a blank one at the end.

I think the end marker is still the best way to handle it—right now, unless I’m mistaken, the only purpose it serves is to tell a song export when it’s supposed to stop. it would make the most sense to use that for auto-return/auto-looping at the end of the song. building new functionality that could easily be added to existing functionality wouldn’t be a great use of RS’ time (unless the existing functionality was outdated and warranted a ground-up replacement, which isn’t the case, here). and using the end marker has the added benefit of not causing other potential weirdness, like I’ve just described.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information