Lockdown Music, or a soundtrack for the end of the world

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
EsotericSound

28 Jun 2020

Curious how the current state of the world affects creativity. Has anyone written anything specific regarding the state of the world?

While, I started writing a couple of these songs before the pandemic his the US, by the time it was in full swing, my brain just kept catching fire with ideas.

I released that EP ideas today called Thinkpieces:
https://esotericsounddesign.bandcamp.com

Post your apocalypse music in this thread.

*Edit: I don't know if I need to say this, but I realize that the times we're in can be hard on a lot of people, and this thread is in no way any attempt to make light of any situation someone may be facing. Music can be great therapy, so no pressure to share if it's too personal.

EdwardKiy

28 Jun 2020

This whole lockdown thing has done miracles for me. I finally lost 12 kilos, made a ton of cash, learned to hand-break-reverse a car 180 at 80 kmph, re-kindled with an old friend and an enemy died. Pure magic.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2020

Nicely done Mr Sound. Very evenly mixed. Good cover too.

This was mine: Pandemic Diaries: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2020/04/1 ... c-diaries/

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

guitfnky

28 Jun 2020

nice EP! great sounds. definitely has a feeling of heavy desolation. really feel it in The Way Forward--how the plucky synth seems cut just short of where you might expect it, amidst the drawn out soundscapes around it--makes it feel very alone (I know it's not a pluck, but a better term is failing me).

oddly enough, I just released the first single from my upcoming album today--a concept album based around the nihilism resulting from the current state of the world (cynicism is new for me; I've been a very optimistic person almost all of my life). this first one is mainly about the state of the environment, specifically the cost of 'progress', and the lack of forethought involved in ignoring the problem...and what will happen after we pass the point of no return.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EsotericSound

28 Jun 2020

I like the groove on that song in the YouTube video. Is that your stuff?

Also, a work in progress with EZKeys? I hadn't heard of that software until now? What's that like?
EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Jun 2020

This whole lockdown thing has done miracles for me. I finally lost 12 kilos, made a ton of cash, learned to hand-break-reverse a car 180 at 80 kmph, re-kindled with an old friend and an enemy died. Pure magic.

EsotericSound

28 Jun 2020

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I really like yours. I hear a lot of different stuff. Some if it reminds me of the Bowie/Eno stuff from Heroes, some if it reminds me of Chariots of Fire, some if it reminds me of the in-between music from This Mortal Coil, and some of it reminds of BBC/PBS music from the 70s (in a good way. :D )

Are you using all software, or are you using some outboard gear too? The center synth from A Future With Connection makes me think of Eno's work.
Benedict wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Nicely done Mr Sound. Very evenly mixed. Good cover too.

This was mine: Pandemic Diaries: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2020/04/1 ... c-diaries/

EsotericSound

28 Jun 2020

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it. The Way Forward is my favorite track off the EP. And yea, the OB-6 synth line in the beginning intentionally ends before you are ready for it. It adds some tension. Oddly enough, I think just about every instrument in that song never falls directly on the 1. Even though I quantized it, nothing ever consistently falls directly on the beat. I blame Panda's PSQ. :) I used the PSQ for the bass line and the synth pattern that fades up in the middle and then fades out at the end. While both of those were synced to tempo, I think I had their pattern steps set differently as the sequencer was running.

So, I was not expecting what I heard from your song. WOW! This is really good. It sounds kind of like where 80s Pink Floyd meets later 90s era REM. The mixing sounded nice and solid. That kick drum punches just enough to not get too tiring. Lyrically, I think you've captured what you set out to.

Thanks for sharing.
guitfnky wrote:
28 Jun 2020
nice EP! great sounds. definitely has a feeling of heavy desolation. really feel it in The Way Forward--how the plucky synth seems cut just short of where you might expect it, amidst the drawn out soundscapes around it--makes it feel very alone (I know it's not a pluck, but a better term is failing me).

oddly enough, I just released the first single from my upcoming album today--a concept album based around the nihilism resulting from the current state of the world (cynicism is new for me; I've been a very optimistic person almost all of my life). this first one is mainly about the state of the environment, specifically the cost of 'progress', and the lack of forethought involved in ignoring the problem...and what will happen after we pass the point of no return.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I really like yours. I hear a lot of different stuff. Some if it reminds me of the Bowie/Eno stuff from Heroes, some if it reminds me of Chariots of Fire, some if it reminds me of the in-between music from This Mortal Coil, and some of it reminds of BBC/PBS music from the 70s (in a good way. :D )

Are you using all software, or are you using some outboard gear too? The center synth from A Future With Connection makes me think of Eno's work.
Benedict wrote:
28 Jun 2020
All cool names and very relevant for me (except for some reason I didn't get into This Mortal Coil).
Everything 100% within Reason - no external samples etc. Basically everything is Europa, Thor, Sub and some bits & pieces here & there. Actually, you can see it here:

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EdwardKiy

29 Jun 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
28 Jun 2020
I like the groove on that song in the YouTube video. Is that your stuff?

Also, a work in progress with EZKeys? I hadn't heard of that software until now? What's that like?
Oh I wish it was, but it's Breakbot - a french Dj/producer. It's his dj mix he posted of oldies and goodies. Linked it to show how everyone feels different about quarantine.

As to the EZkeys, I just downloaded the trial two days ago and been messing with it. So far I have mixed feelings.

It's two things - an instrument (every instrument sold separately) and a midi arranger (midi packs sold separately). Too early to tell for sure, but for a Reason user, the "instrument" is quite redundant - Reason's Radical Piano wurlitzer sounds waaay better and is customizable. I can only view it as an advanced version of ID8 with a built in midi browser and arranger. The midi arranger capabilities are also nothing special - it's simple and intuitive, but the GUI is very small and uncomfortable to work with for extended periods. You cannot scale it like the Arturia V Collection vst.

BUT! The midi data they sell is of very high quality and it's sorted by music genre and by song structure - passages for intros/verse/chorus/bridge etc. Naturally, I won't use any of the actual midi data for a finished work with my name on it, but it's super useful as a learning tool for arrangements within different genres.

So I definitely won't be buying the instrument VSTs when the trial runs out, but I might just get the midi files if I'm stuck with a certain genre.

P.S.: you got some good stuff on bandcamp there! Keep it up!

guitfnky

29 Jun 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it. The Way Forward is my favorite track off the EP. And yea, the OB-6 synth line in the beginning intentionally ends before you are ready for it. It adds some tension. Oddly enough, I think just about every instrument in that song never falls directly on the 1. Even though I quantized it, nothing ever consistently falls directly on the beat. I blame Panda's PSQ. :) I used the PSQ for the bass line and the synth pattern that fades up in the middle and then fades out at the end. While both of those were synced to tempo, I think I had their pattern steps set differently as the sequencer was running.

So, I was not expecting what I heard from your song. WOW! This is really good. It sounds kind of like where 80s Pink Floyd meets later 90s era REM. The mixing sounded nice and solid. That kick drum punches just enough to not get too tiring. Lyrically, I think you've captured what you set out to.

Thanks for sharing.
guitfnky wrote:
28 Jun 2020

wow, thanks for the kind words! 🙏

love using stuff to help get a more “human” feel into things. I think after this album is out, I might try to get back into programming/generating beats. Lectric Panda makes some great tools to help with that stuff that I really ought to start taking advantage of. haven’t tried PSQ yet, though I may have to take a look at it. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information