Anyone syncing external sequencers/drum machines?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DJMaytag

10 Aug 2017

I'm trying to sync my Roland TB-03, and it works fine ONLY when I start at 1.1.1.1. Otherwise the external device is off by a half beat to a full beat. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out what's going on, if it's a Reason problem or a TB-03 problem.

EnochLight

11 Aug 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Aug 2017
I'm trying to sync my Roland TB-03, and it works fine ONLY when I start at 1.1.1.1. Otherwise the external device is off by a half beat to a full beat. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out what's going on, if it's a Reason problem or a TB-03 problem.

I use my Trigger Finger Pro's built-in step sequencer to sometimes program patterns for Kong and even Redrum, and then record the MIDI data into Reason's sequencer. Depending on your interface and latency settings, there will always be some amount of delay when using external MIDI devices and Reason's External MIDI device.

I don't know if messing with Reason's PDC will help - have you tried adjusting it? Also, try adjusting Reason's MIDI Sync Output/Input.

With me, since my TFP's data that is recorded back into Reason's sequencer is not used in realtime, I just quantize and I'm good to go. I haven't tried to sync to an external drum machine playing live or other percussive instrument live, though.

*EDIT: sorry, I just now watched your video. I see that you already tried adjusting Reason's MIDI Sync Output/Input. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DJMaytag

11 Aug 2017

Thanks for the reply. This just sparked the idea to try to sync the sequencer in my Arturo's Keystep. I don't have any other MIDI devices that have sequencers, so I'll give this a shot to see if it's a Reason problem or a TB-03 problem.

That said, I had a similar wierd problem trying to sync an old school drum machine (TR-606) via the Silent Way VST suite and the associated hardware it interfaces with to generate CV/gate/clock signals to use in the real world (mainly analog modular gear, but old drum machines as well).

The problem with the 606 was that it would "start" at bar one, but it *wouldn't* play until bar 2. It wasn't as much of a sync issue as it was a delay in response.

DJMaytag

11 Aug 2017

Yes, I understand that there will always be SOME form of delay between a DAW and incoming audio, but the problem doesn't fit within that scope.

Now that I think of it, I was also having. Similar delay problem with D16's Drumazon VSTi drum machine. It was set to play a loop that was A/B/A/Fill 1. What it actually did was play A/A/B/A/Fill 1. It "played" bar one but for somehow started itself over again at bar 2.

EnochLight

11 Aug 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
11 Aug 2017
Yes, I understand that there will always be SOME form of delay between a DAW and incoming audio, but the problem doesn't fit within that scope.

Now that I think of it, I was also having. Similar delay problem with D16's Drumazon VSTi drum machine. It was set to play a loop that was A/B/A/Fill 1. What it actually did was play A/A/B/A/Fill 1. It "played" bar one but for somehow started itself over again at bar 2.
Have you tried unchecking "Send Song Position Pointer" in Reason's Preferences? I had to uncheck that to correct some timing issues with my TFP...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DJMaytag

11 Aug 2017

Yes, I've tried every combination of those three options.

AttenuationHz

11 Aug 2017

Trial Ableton or another DAW to rule out the tb-03.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Bjørn Felle

27 Jun 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Aug 2017

@DJMaytag
Did you ever solve this? I am having exactly the same problem syncing Reason with my Polyend Tracker. Everything about the problem is exactly the same; if I start from 1.1.1.1 then it's in sync, but if I start after that it's off by between 1/8 and 1/4.

DJMaytag

27 Jun 2020

Bjørn Felle wrote:
27 Jun 2020
@DJMaytag
Did you ever solve this? I am having exactly the same problem syncing Reason with my Polyend Tracker. Everything about the problem is exactly the same; if I start from 1.1.1.1 then it's in sync, but if I start after that it's off by between 1/8 and 1/4.
No, not without resorting to using an Expert Sleepers Eurorack setup (and have sample accurate sync to all my external hardware sequencers now). I even ended up selling the TB-03 and built a Din Sync RE-303!

Bjørn Felle

27 Jun 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
27 Jun 2020
Bjørn Felle wrote:
27 Jun 2020
@DJMaytag
No, not without resorting to using an Expert Sleepers Eurorack setup (and have sample accurate sync to all my external hardware sequencers now). I even ended up selling the TB-03 and built a Din Sync RE-303!
Thanks bud. It seems this is not actually a Reason issue as I installed a trial of Ableton and it behaved exactly the same way. I emailed Polyend and they sent me a beta firmware to try which was different but still not right, so hopefully they will be able to update it to make it work better with clock sync. At least I know it's not a configuration issue my end and I can wait for Polyend to work on it.

Thanks for the replay man, really appreciate it.

dmcghee

28 Jun 2020

I sync Reason with my MPC60ll and MPC X to track to Reason. They all sync perfectly. My MPCs have always been the master clock. I haven’t ever used Reason as the master for Midi Clock or Midi Time Code. Try using your drum machines as the master clock.

Bjørn Felle

03 Jul 2020

Update: Polyend sent me a beta firmware which solved the problem :)

bama

16 Feb 2024

Hi,
I'm gonna pull this back up, because I have the same issue with an old Yamaha RX7 Machine.
When starting the Song from the beginning the Drumparts start at the beginning. As soon as I stop and go to the start of another beat in Reason. the Drumpart on the RX 7 is off.
The funny thing is, checking the issue with a Roland R5, that thing works fine. Checking the RX7 on Studio One, it also works fine and always starts the Part at the beginning when I position the marker in Studio One on the beginning of any beat.
So, is the isue with Reason, or the RX7? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

• Information