Volume automation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bman70

26 Jun 2020

When I'm down in the timeline adjusting the automation for Level, the top of the sequencer toolbar shows a number like "724" reflecting my adjustments. I have to go to the mixer and scroll through the instruments and hover my mouse over the fader in question if I want to see "-4.15db" instead of "724." I find this completely useless for on the fly tweaking of the automation, especially if doing it during playback. A random integer doesn't give me the same sense of what I'm doing as a decibel value. Is there some way to make the display show my real time adjustments in dB? New to Reason 11 so it's possible I'm overlooking something incredibly simple.. that's more likely than Propellerhead using two different values for Level in two areas of the DAW. I hope :lol:

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2020

Bman70 wrote:
26 Jun 2020
When I'm down in the timeline adjusting the automation for Level, the top of the sequencer toolbar shows a number like "724" reflecting my adjustments. I have to go to the mixer and scroll through the instruments and hover my mouse over the fader in question if I want to see "-4.15db" instead of "724." I find this completely useless for on the fly tweaking of the automation, especially if doing it during playback. A random integer doesn't give me the same sense of what I'm doing as a decibel value. Is there some way to make the display show my real time adjustments in dB? New to Reason 11 so it's possible I'm overlooking something incredibly simple.. that's more likely than Propellerhead using two different values for Level in two areas of the DAW. I hope :lol:
Sorry, but this is one of Reason's unexplained quirks. No idea why it's this way, and everyone and their brother has pleaded with the Props (Reason Studios) to make the automation read the same as the tool tip. No words.

I got so frustrated I created Selig Gain just so I'd have a gain control that could be automated and read in decibels… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

ProfessaKaos

27 Jun 2020

Yep, quite annoying.
I tend to use Selig Gain also as the last device in the chain because of this, and you also get a peak level reading which Reason's Mixers individual channels don't display.
Last edited by ProfessaKaos on 28 Jun 2020, edited 2 times in total.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

ProfessaKaos

27 Jun 2020

Yep, quite annoying.
I tend to use Selig Gain also as the last device in the chain because of this, and you also get a peak level reading which Reason's Mixers individual channels don't display.
Last edited by ProfessaKaos on 27 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Bman70

27 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2020

Sorry, but this is one of Reason's unexplained quirks. No idea why it's this way, and everyone and their brother has pleaded with the Props (Reason Studios) to make the automation read the same as the tool tip. No words.

I got so frustrated I created Selig Gain just so I'd have a gain control that could be automated and read in decibels… ;)

Interesting, well I might have to buy it. How would that work, do I need it as an insert on each track? If Selig Gain is automated for my Violins, for instance, can I adjust in the curves in the timeline while seeing dB change in the Sequencer toolbar? (Where Reason just shows random three digit numbers.)

chaosroyale

27 Jun 2020

Yes, this is one of many problems that Reason Studios definitely know about, but don't care about. People have been saying this for years.

I think they will never fix it, but if they do, I would expect them not to actually fix the underlying problem, but just stick another layer on top. Band-aids and workarounds are "the Reason style" after all. You've probably noticed the tempo value has a similar problem. In one part of the UI it is a value in hundreds of thousands (!!! why?) and in another part of the UI it is a decimal value, like it should be. That would actually be harder to code than doing it the right way in both places. Probably that was another workaround.
Bman70 wrote:
26 Jun 2020
I have to go to the mixer and scroll through the instruments and hover my mouse over the fader in question if I want to see "-4.15db" instead of "724." I find this completely useless for on the fly tweaking of the automation, especially if doing it during playback. A random integer doesn't give me the same sense of what I'm doing

• Information