Using 2 kboards in r4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
glass-puppy

27 Jun 2020

Can you use 2 identical midi controllers in reason 4? I have two kmi kboards and it's only responding to one of them.

The midi input shows two kboards but no distinction between them in name. And when I try the "find" thing it doesnt show any midi data when u press a key or button. Any ideas?
I have no issue using both c ok ntrollers in live but r4 it's a different story.

I'd appreciate any help

Bewlay

27 Jun 2020

Just add the second one manually. Give it a different name. Once the computer (Mac or Windows?) recognises the keyboard, and you say it's working in Live, then it shouldn't be a problem.
If you're still having a problem, select a generic manufacturer and go from there. Use a completely different name and port.
It's a long time since I used Reason 4 but I don't think it should be an issue.
Fyi, I don't think Reason has ever been able to 'auto-detect' for me. I've always added manually.
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

glass-puppy

27 Jun 2020

Bewlay wrote:
27 Jun 2020
Just add the second one manually. Give it a different name. Once the computer (Mac or Windows?) recognises the keyboard, and you say it's working in Live, then it shouldn't be a problem.
If you're still having a problem, select a generic manufacturer and go from there. Use a completely different name and port.
It's a long time since I used Reason 4 but I don't think it should be an issue.
Fyi, I don't think Reason has ever been able to 'auto-detect' for me. I've always added manually.
I did that actually, I think the issue is I cant name the two midi inputs differently. Both are called kboard.. can you change the names? In live 7 theres a distinction between the two because one is called kboard port two. I cant find where to change the name.. I even went to the midi input device to see if I could. It doesnt look like I can do that. I even looked in the kboard editor and no such option. I know you can use more than one controller with r4 I've seen it done. I've just never had more than one until now.

Bewlay

28 Jun 2020

Are you on a Mac or PC?
I'd forgotten I do have Reason 4 still loaded on a Win 10 computer and I added 2 different USB controllers (not the same model).
In Preferences, I added them manually and called them the same thing. In other words, in the drop down menu I selected the same make and model and they both worked.
You have to manually select the In Port & Out Port for each device
The computer should recognise a separate device in each port.
Are you saying you can get past this stage and they still don't work?
Maybe tell us each step you're going through to see if there's an error along the way.

glass-puppy

28 Jun 2020

Bewlay wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Are you on a Mac or PC?
I'd forgotten I do have Reason 4 still loaded on a Win 10 computer and I added 2 different USB controllers (not the same model).
In Preferences, I added them manually and called them the same thing. In other words, in the drop down menu I selected the same make and model and they both worked.
You have to manually select the In Port & Out Port for each device
The computer should recognise a separate device in each port.
Are you saying you can get past this stage and they still don't work?
Maybe tell us each step you're going through to see if there's an error along the way.
I'm using windows 7 sp1 on a PC

In preferences under (keyboards and control surfaces) I manually added the second k-board. First I did the find feature and reason only picks up activity from one controller.. so I go and try to select an input manually from the drop down menu. Both of them are named kboard..

For the kboard that isnr being read, I have manually added it with the manufacturer being <other> and the model being - MIDI Control Keyboard. The same for the other kboard which IS being detected. Both kboards are named <Other> MIDI Control Keyboard except one has a 2 at the end to distinguish one from the other. In the midi input selector drop down menu I have two choices and they're the same.. when I select one "either as I've tried both" the main menu showing the keyboards and control surfaces theres a little yellow triangle symbol with an exclamation mark inside of it. It appears on both device tabs.. when I uncheck one of the "use with reason" boxes, both yellow triangles disappear and a green check mark signifies one of the kboards.. whenever I click on either of the two yellow triangles a little wibdow named Cobtrol Surface Conflict Report pops up with text in it which reads:

These control surfaces are using the same MIDI inputs and/or output port(s):

<Other> MIDI Control Keyboard
<Other> MIDI Control Keyboard2

- So I then go to the advanced control part of preferences. I see four buses and select both "kboard" midi inputs the top one for bus A and the second for bus B to be sure. Doing this they both have green checkmark.

I try to play both kboards and still only one produces sound

I then go to the advanced midi device in the rack and assign in bus b one of the kboards. Bus A was already assigned a kboard input.. still nothing.

This is where I'm stuck. Kmi k-boards are class compliant. I just plug and play essentially. I would think that the way other people typically get around something like this is to rename a midi input. I just dont see where I can do that. I wonder if it's something I will have to do within windows or if it's a firmware thing.

Btw thanks for helping me. I really enjoy using these two controllers in live7, had no idea what I was missing out on as I've only had one controller in the past.

Bewlay

29 Jun 2020

It makes sense that the Midi Inputs would have the same name. This is coming from the Windows OS I assume.
(On my Reason 4 the drop down menus I see are "In Port" and "Out Port")

What doesn't make sense is that Reason doesn't respond to the 2 different ports as separate instruments.
Sounds like a bug. Probably best to get on to Propellerheads and see if they've come across this before.

• Information