RE-200 Bass Enhancer vs Saturation Knob

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Creativemind

26 Jun 2020

Hi All!

I was thinking of trialing (and probably still will) the Red Rock Sound RE-200 Bass Enhancer as I heard it was good.

However, from it's description, it's just a low end saturator so can what it does, simply be achieved with Softube's Saturation Knob?

I will have a look with a spectrum analyser later and compare. I suppose the proofs in the pudding. I heard Bass Enhancer is good for beefing up bass lines?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Kalm

26 Jun 2020

Their different. From what I understand, Saturation Knob distorts via ceiling and overdriving a frequency band. Red Rock's module adds low end harmonics to the signal via signal input and band selection. Then you have the option to overdrive those harmonics and how loud.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

moggadeet

26 Jun 2020

There is this trick too:

In short: create a parallel channel, lowpass it with EF-42 with a lot of resonance. Mix it in parallel, and if needed group both channels and compress and saturate them together.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2020

That's one of the things I developed the ColoringEQ for, but you can achieve a similar thing as moggadeet points out above using Saturation Knob on a parallel channel. That's the primary difference between saturation knob on it's own and the ColoringEQ and RE-200 approach (besides the additional EQ features on the CEQ), the fact the saturation is added in parallel.
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

26 Jun 2020

moggadeet wrote:
26 Jun 2020
There is this trick too:

In short: create a parallel channel, lowpass it with EF-42 with a lot of resonance. Mix it in parallel, and if needed group both channels and compress and saturate them together.
Some excellent tips in that video. Good tutorial. Will be using some of those techniques for sure.

Creativemind

26 Jun 2020

Kalm wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Their different. From what I understand, Saturation Knob distorts via ceiling and overdriving a frequency band. Red Rock's module adds low end harmonics to the signal via signal input and band selection. Then you have the option to overdrive those harmonics and how loud.
Yeah when I tried earlier, Saturation Knob added more harmonics and when you turned the knob (on Keep Low) as it got towards half way it became more grindy and not what I wanted. Bass Enhancer added more height to the spectrum analysis and with a bit of tweaking, got it sounding really thick and warm.

Kalm

26 Jun 2020

Creativemind wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Kalm wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Yeah when I tried earlier, Saturation Knob added more harmonics and when you turned the knob (on Keep Low) as it got towards half way it became more grindy and not what I wanted. Bass Enhancer added more height to the spectrum analysis and with a bit of tweaking, got it sounding really thick and warm.
In my usages, bass enhancer is great with things with no bass. Think like a mix of Waves Submarine and rBass. Saturation knob is my go to to add grit and knock to anything
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

turn2on
RE Developer

26 Jun 2020

Not trying RE-200 Bass Enhancer, but our SubColours Octave Diver RE - also generate additional bass to any signal. Its going from very classical and famous Mu-Tron™ Octave Divider guitar pedal effect, that been father of the Octavers.
It can easily generate and manipulate the sub-tone to any incoming signal (also without bass), with settings of the gain, compression, limiting and widening, lfo and modulation matrix (its also have onboard screamer, overdrive and fuzz).
Main easy and powerful functional - generate sub-tones. You need to select input frequency, for which a sub octave will be generated. Tone parameter - set harmonic content of the generated sub-octave.

Creativemind

26 Jun 2020

Kalm wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Creativemind wrote:
26 Jun 2020

In my usages, bass enhancer is great with things with no bass. Think like a mix of Waves Submarine and rBass. Saturation knob is my go to to add grit and knock to anything
It was bass I wanted to enhance and it isn't grit I want, thickness and warmth, if it was do-able, get a ReDominator patch that could match this -

I know the Juno 2 had a sub-oscillator but it has such thickness to it just on 1 key and when I've played loads of bass patches including ReDominator ones they don't compare to that.
Last edited by Creativemind on 29 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

TheDragonborg

26 Jun 2020

I love my Alpha Juno-1!!!! Would rather have a 2 or MKS-50 but eh... the sound is the same.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2020

turn2on wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Not trying RE-200 Bass Enhancer, but our SubColours Octave Diver RE - also generate additional bass to any signal. Its going from very classical and famous Mu-Tron™ Octave Divider guitar pedal effect, that been father of the Octavers.
It can easily generate and manipulate the sub-tone to any incoming signal (also without bass), with settings of the gain, compression, limiting and widening, lfo and modulation matrix (its also have onboard screamer, overdrive and fuzz).
Main easy and powerful functional - generate sub-tones. You need to select input frequency, for which a sub octave will be generated. Tone parameter - set harmonic content of the generated sub-octave.
Of all the products mentioned so far I think yours is the only one that actually adds low (sub) harmonics below the original frequency, which can take things into new territory, extending weak bass (or even non existent bass) or turning guitars into basses etc.

For making existing big bass sounds fatter and helping to come through small speakers, the other solutions are great (Saturation Knob needs the parallel channel trick to fully work this magic).

Combining the two techniques would be the bees knees for making huge bass sounds from just about any source!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information