Drum Sequencer that auto change patterns in a sequence

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
friday

26 Jun 2020

Hi Reason Folks

To easy spice up my tracks with some little rolls, short noise, rattles, percussions.... that only happens from time to time (every 8th or 16th bar), I really would like to have a Sequencer that automatically switches between the patterns. I tried to build that with CV and a Redrum, and it works. But it is hard to program, because I need to stop the LFO to have access to the single pattern. And I am not able to copy the pattern sequence to track.

Is there a solution for this request? RE?
I checked the manual if it is possible to switch the patterns of Redrum with Midi-Notes, but it looks like there is no option for that?

It would be cool if I am able to program all the single pattern first, an than switch the auto pattern movement on/and off... For a better understanding, I have added a picture and the Combinator with the CV Pattern change Engine :-)
Redrum Sequencer CV Pattern Selector.jpg
Redrum Sequencer CV Pattern Selector.jpg (113.16 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combinator with CV Pattern Switch Redrum - Download Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AljUOBXZERw5ur9JljL ... g?e=tPoJ52
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a great Weekend!!!

NDKay

26 Jun 2020

just automate the patterns like you want !
( right click on the patterns - automate )

or what did i miss ?
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

friday

26 Jun 2020

The idea is, that i do not have to touch the sequencer... the creative process in the StepSeq should not be stoped by switching the windows. In the end you could also say i want a pattern sequencer that goes up to 256 steps.

Edit: But maybe I should listen to your input ant go back to the old times where I worked more with the pattern automation, that is not a bad hint! Thanks.

Edit2: On the other hand, when I think of it, to draw 16 blocks and select on every block the pattern (A1,A2,A3...) 16times, that could kill the creativity. I will try to include one redrum with that patteren automation in my template, that could work.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
26 Jun 2020
The idea is, that i do not have to touch the sequencer... the creative process in the StepSeq should not be stoped by switching the windows. In the end you could also say i want a pattern sequencer that goes up to 256 steps.

Edit: But maybe I should listen to your input ant go back to the old times where I worked more with the pattern automation, that is not a bad hint! Thanks.

Edit2: On the other hand, when I think of it, to draw 16 blocks and select on every block the pattern (A1,A2,A3...) 16times, that could kill the creativity. I will try to include one redrum with that patteren automation in my template, that could work.
128 steps
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... m-machine/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

NDKay

26 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
26 Jun 2020

If you try to do it fast, i mean REALLY fast, maybe the creativity "just" gets hurt, but not killed ! :lol:

edit : i know what you mean and yeah, sometimes the creativity gets lost by a scratch, at other times an earthquake wont stop it. ;-)

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Hi Reason Folks

To easy spice up my tracks with some little rolls, short noise, rattles, percussions.... that only happens from time to time (every 8th or 16th bar), I really would like to have a Sequencer that automatically switches between the patterns. I tried to build that with CV and a Redrum, and it works. But it is hard to program, because I need to stop the LFO to have access to the single pattern. And I am not able to copy the pattern sequence to track.

Is there a solution for this request? RE?
I checked the manual if it is possible to switch the patterns of Redrum with Midi-Notes, but it looks like there is no option for that?

It would be cool if I am able to program all the single pattern first, an than switch the auto pattern movement on/and off... For a better understanding, I have added a picture and the Combinator with the CV Pattern change Engine :-)
I want something similar, an overall pattern sequencer that has some of the same options as the steps do: probability, repeat/loops #, playback order options, speed multiplier, etc.
This would allow you to program a basic sequence of patterns, with some patterns that would randomly choose between different pattern selections, or different step options above.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

26 Jun 2020

Build it into your template. I watched the latest Reason studios stream, Jelie has that set up like that with drum sequencer.

Personally, for fills and that, I would leave that to the end when I'm arranging, and the creative process is mostly done, so no creativity to kill when that's already been taken care of. But that may be a different workflow in your case, who knows. Maybe try? If it is for the main drums, it makes sense to have it on the template, not for fills... 🤷‍♂️

taipeiwalkerhk

27 Jun 2020

I have similar question and glad to find this post ...

I am also looking for how to chain the pattern and in some other drum VST, I think its called Song mode. But I don't know how to do it to chain 1-2-3-4 pattern to form a 64 steps drum seq.

friday

27 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
26 Jun 2020
I want something similar, an overall pattern sequencer that has some of the same options as the steps do: probability, repeat/loops #, playback order options, speed multiplier, etc.
This would allow you to program a basic sequence of patterns, with some patterns that would randomly choose between different pattern selections, or different step options above.
Hi Selig, I am proud to get a feedback to my idea, from one of the big boys of reasontalk :-) I had similar ideas, but then I had the feeling that this would be to complex (needs the same amount of clicking as if I would write the Bars in the Sequencer):
pattern sequencer.jpg
pattern sequencer.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 3069 times

I would be happy if Reason Studio could update the drum sequencer with a similar feature set as on the following picture... there is enough space, I tested it with my humble graphic skills... :-)
drum seq pattern sequencer.jpg
drum seq pattern sequencer.jpg (243.45 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
When you select one of the Patterns to edit, it automatically deactivates the "Auto Move" . When you reactivate "Auto Move" it should not start at the beginning, it should know where it stays in the song (but i can easy live without this extra feature, the main thing is the movement through the pattern)

bigguy1

27 Jun 2020

I think that Poly Step Sequencer has this feature. You can program up to four variations and there are some autoswitch options. It has slide control repeats and even probability. It is not as specialized on drums than the Drum Sequencer of course, but you could give it a try.

ljekio

27 Jun 2020

Patterns can be automatized from Matrix, if DrumSeq placed onto Combi.
But Props can be to make CV socket for Pattern Select Input.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jun 2020

They could update the drum sequencer with the pattern thing from polystep.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Jun 2020
When was the last time you saw Propellerheads update one of their REs? Once maybe?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jun 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Jun 2020
When was the last time you saw Propellerheads update one of their REs? Once maybe?
Javel, one can only hope. Speaking of hope, I hope you're getting better soon man, and that the morphine provides a fine trip 🤗

NDKay

27 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
26 Jun 2020
ljekio wrote:
27 Jun 2020
I tried that, if anyone is curious i´ve put together a fast an easy combinator with a Matrix , a DrumSeq and a Kong.

When you download it you should definitely try "playing" with the resolution on the Matrix.

If i understand correctly, you could get even more patterns out of Drumseq ( not really but read further), because you could chain the first half of the first pattern with the second half of the second pattern aso.... to be exactly, the order of the patterns is up to you through the matrix.
An Example of what i mean is in the Pattern "A5" of the Matrix.
Of course it wont give you more "pattern-slots" like 9,10,11,aso. So it´s "kinda" more patterns.

I really got attached to that idea. Also for other things, like intended drum glitches. So thank you Ijekio for another "rabbit hole" :crazy: :lol:
Attachments
Ctrl-DrumSeq-with-Matrix.zip
(7.25 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

DaveyG

28 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
26 Jun 2020
To easy spice up my tracks with some little rolls, short noise, rattles, percussions.... that only happens from time to time (every 8th or 16th bar),
Just hop on that probability train. Stick a few extra snares ahead of existing ones and set the probability to 10%.
Sprinkle in a few low probability repeats on percussion rows. To punctuate an end of section/verse/chorus. add a second instance of the sequencer and drumkit and program a kick or snare fill at the very end of the pattern. Job done. :thumbs_up:

friday

28 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Just hop on that probability train. Stick a few extra snares ahead of existing ones and set the probability to 10%.
Sprinkle in a few low probability repeats on percussion rows. To punctuate an end of section/verse/chorus. add a second instance of the sequencer and drumkit and program a kick or snare fill at the very end of the pattern. Job done. :thumbs_up:
Good Point, but that rarely worked for me. I often made the experience that, as an example, the offbeat clap came 3 times in succession and then nothing for the next 4 bars. There should be a way to at least determine how much bars/patterns/triggers has to be left out, once it has been triggered.

DaveyG

28 Jun 2020

friday wrote:
28 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
28 Jun 2020
Good Point, but that rarely worked for me. I often made the experience that, as an example, the offbeat clap came 3 times in succession and then nothing for the next 4 bars. There should be a way to at least determine how much bars/patterns/triggers has to be left out, once it has been triggered.
Print the whole song's worth of drum track to MIDI and remove the couple of hits that offend you. Or do the same but put the results in 3 or 4 event clips and organise them how you want. All much easier and more controllable than trying to extend the functionality of Drum Sequencer.

Or use SugarBytes DrumComputer where the "probability" parameter should really be called "frequency" or "duty cycle" because it behaves in a completely predictable way. Set it to 25% and you get that event every 4th time rather than having a random 25% chance of happening each time.

friday

28 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
27 Jun 2020
I tried that, if anyone is curious i´ve put together a fast an easy combinator with a Matrix , a DrumSeq and a Kong.

When you download it you should definitely try "playing" with the resolution on the Matrix.

If i understand correctly, you could get even more patterns out of Drumseq ( not really but read further), because you could chain the first half of the first pattern with the second half of the second pattern aso.... to be exactly, the order of the patterns is up to you through the matrix.
An Example of what i mean is in the Pattern "A5" of the Matrix.
Of course it wont give you more "pattern-slots" like 9,10,11,aso. So it´s "kinda" more patterns.

I really got attached to that idea. Also for other things, like intended drum glitches. So thank you Ijekio for another "rabbit hole" :crazy: :lol:
Thanks for that, very interesting Combi, I can simply deactivate Matrix to edit the single Patterns. And then it is also inspiring to switch between the Patterns in shorter terms, as you mentioned with the example of A5! Great idea.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jun 2020

The problem with all the the counter suggestions/workarounds (build it in the timeline, use a Matrix), is that they assume a known pattern length.
The idea I've had, and is similar to the OP, is based on Studio Vision Pro, where you string patterns together and the next pattern plays only after the previous pattern is completed. Thus a 1 bar pattern and an 8 bar pattern can be strung together logically and then the 1 bar pattern could be changed to a 2 bar pattern and you wouldn't' have to adjust anything else - it would simply play the first pattern to the end (now 2 bars long) and then play the next pattern.

The simplest way to do this that I've designed to date is to have one button (chain patterns) that allows the existing patterns to be played sequentially - simple! If there are empty patterns they are skipped. If the order needs to be changed, you must copy/paste the patterns into the desired order. A bit clunky, but the UI only needs ONE button to add pattern chaining.
Any solution beyond that is going to have to balance features vs UI clutter.

For reference, this is a form of clip launching which is nothing new (again, Studio Vision Pro did this in the 1990s), and frankly it's a bit surprising no device from Reason Studios has done anything like this to date. I was working on a poly sequencer that does exactly this when two other poly sequencers came out, so I put it on the back burner for the time being - there's also the possibility of doing this with a clip launcher RE paired with a clip "Player" device. Not sure what's the best approach, but I know I want to be able to work this way in Reason!
Selig Audio, LLC

nickbrumme

31 Jul 2022

NDKay wrote:
27 Jun 2020
ljekio wrote:
27 Jun 2020
Thank you for this patch! The only issue I'm having with this solution is that it seems like the Combinator is switching the patterns slightly later than the patterns themselves, resulting in the first beat of each pattern getting cut off and instead being triggered at what should be the first beat of the following pattern. This doesn't happen on the first loop through the first pattern, because the Combinator hasn't switched the pattern yet, but it happens on all the following patterns, including when it loops back to the first pattern.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? And if so, has anybody found a workaround? It seems like some sort of CV delay compensation issue. I've tried it in standalone Reason and in the Reason Rack Plugin, both seem to have the same issue. I'm using Reason 11.

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jul 2022

Old thread. Sequences now has trig conditions 😄

nickbrumme

31 Jul 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Jul 2022
That would be amazing! I haven’t been able to find that at all, though. I’ve looked in the manual, online, and pretty extensively in Reason itself. I have version Drum Sequencer 1.0.0, which appears to be the latest version.

This matrix/combinator solution is the closest I’ve seen for trying to make this happen in the rack. The other option is automating the switch in the timeline, but I’m looking to keep this all happening in the rack.

Where are you seeing trigger conditions?

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jul 2022

Oh, I mean Sequences, another player device, not drum sequencer. The player is made by Robotic Bean 😄

huggermugger

31 Jul 2022

nickbrumme wrote:
31 Jul 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Jul 2022
Where are you seeing trigger conditions?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 12.00.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 12.00.44 PM.png (229.19 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

• Information