Recommend me some ethnic instrument plugins

Discuss VST stuff here!
TheDragonborg

25 Jun 2020

I'm currently working on some Goa trance tracks and I realized that I'm lacking some good ethnic instrument sounds... all I have are the few sounds in the Reason library. I know Kontakt would be the best for this but it's too expensive and on top of that I would have to still buy the libraries. I'd be fine if they are Kontakt libraries that work in Kontakt Player without limits but all the ones I have seen require the full version.

I'm also open to refills or REs.

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

El cheapo XPAND2 has a decent selection of ethnic/world sounds:

xethnix.png
xethnix.png (856.88 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TheDragonborg

25 Jun 2020

I have Xpand already. I need better sounds.

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

Probably not what you want but I tend to make my own in the Rack - for the ultra exotic feel.
Ff course, you also miss out on the vanilla exotic feel that most punters are after.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TheDragonborg

25 Jun 2020

I'm surprised at how decent some of the ethnic sounds in the Reason library are... been using the saz in NN-XT and it's gorgeous...

I'm just looking for some variety and a good tanpura sound...

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Ok, then East West Ra. It's amazeballs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TheDragonborg

26 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
26 Jun 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Oof... while it's on sale I wasn't wanting to spend $160...

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
26 Jun 2020
hurricane wrote:
26 Jun 2020

Yeah, but it's probably the best collection out there. There are others like Garritan World Instruments and UVI's world collection, both of which are just ok, and the pricey but interesting looking Ethno World 6. There's also the very awesome world collections you get in Komplete. Or you can get the $99 India collection but you'd still need Kontakt.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TheDragonborg

26 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
26 Jun 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
26 Jun 2020

Yeah, but it's probably the best collection out there. There are others like Garritan World Instruments and UVI's world collection, both of which are just ok, and the pricey but interesting looking Ethno World 6. There's also the very awesome world collections you get in Komplete. Or you can get the $99 India collection but you'd still need Kontakt.
I broke down and bought Ra... My $200 tax return this year will pay for it. lol

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

Lol, that was quick. But i hope you also looked at Silk. And Gypsy is pretty awesome too. I got lucky and got all of these in some crazy Guitar Center clearance sale. $19.99 each, can you believe it? Boxed copies, in store, giving them away for cheap because as the guy told me "the box says it's for an older operating system, that's why they're on clearance" well thanks, all I need is the serial number and i'll download a current version - walked away with a steal.

Anyway, Ra + Silk is a very good combo. It's also on sale 😬.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TheDragonborg

26 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
26 Jun 2020
Lol, that was quick. But i hope you also looked at Silk. And Gypsy is pretty awesome too. I got lucky and got all of these in some crazy Guitar Center clearance sale. $19.99 each, can you believe it? Boxed copies, in store, giving them away for cheap because as the guy told me "the box says it's for an older operating system, that's why they're on clearance" well thanks, all I need is the serial number and i'll download a current version - walked away with a steal.

Anyway, Ra + Silk is a very good combo. It's also on sale 😬.
Wow... if I could be that lucky... lol

Anyway when I saw the sale was only for six days I jumped on it.

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

Probably still too pricey, but I bought UVI World Suite a while ago on sale. There’s some good stuff in it, but I personally have gravitated more to tuned percussion and South American instruments which I wish it had more of.

There’s also a cheap refill in the RS store called World Booster Pack ($29), which is is bit llow quality but still has some useful stuff in it like a refill full of tiny clay flutes and ocarinas which is nice.

• Information