Synapse Audio introduces OBSESSION, an OB-Xa emulation

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jmax

22 Jun 2020

I demoed the VST, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Just like the Legend it has so much depth.

kinkujin

23 Jun 2020

Got lost in it last night. First patch was 20 mins of just playing. So much fun and sounds SO GOOD to these ears. I would recommend it very much.

Loque

23 Jun 2020

Anyone compared it with Dune3 yet?

I just had quick listen and a few patches in the demo are just a dream and absolutly NOT reproduceable with other standard synths. But i did not had checked Dune3 yet and i know that Dune3 has some very punchy attack things going on and some very smooth modulation stuff, which i heard in Obsession too.

Edit:
Ok, i answer it myself. I fiddled around this evening, trying to understand some patches and recreateing them. I noticed a lot of interchaning from one parameter with other parameters in Obsession by simply changing it. There is also some saturation going on, which is quite dynamic. It sounds like, if i touch the Env amount, than i get a complete different sound. There must be some kind of filter drive with dynamic saturation in it... The modulation is very smooth. I have the feeling, that this is a very organic synth, everything you touch has a slight impact on everything else (or a few dedicated things :?). Very hard to replicate. Also the envelops seem to be some kind of dynamic. I got close with a few things, but didnt hit the target. And the patch creaters did a very good job and Synapse ofc did it too. Excellent sounding synth :lol: :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

23 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2020

I just had quick listen and a few patches in the demo are just a dream and absolutly NOT reproduceable with other standard synths. But i did not had checked Dune3 yet and i know that Dune3 has some very punchy attack things going on and some very smooth modulation stuff, which i heard in Obsession too.

Edit:
Ok, i answer it myself. I fiddled around this evening, trying to understand some patches and recreateing them. I noticed a lot of interchaning from one parameter with other parameters in Obsession by simply changing it. There is also some saturation going on, which is quite dynamic. It sounds like, if i touch the Env amount, than i get a complete different sound. There must be some kind of filter drive with dynamic saturation in it... The modulation is very smooth. I have the feeling, that this is a very organic synth, everything you touch has a slight impact on everything else (or a few dedicated things :?). Very hard to replicate. Also the envelops seem to be some kind of dynamic. I got close with a few things, but didnt hit the target. And the patch creaters did a very good job and Synapse ofc did it too. Excellent sounding synth :lol: :thumbs_up:
Yep I agree. I think the other standout feature here is the variations per voice which are very impactful in the organic feel.

Dune has great sounding filters and is reasonable at making vintage sounds, but you have to really work at it. It is happiest making high fidelity contemporary sounds (IMO).

Dune and Obsession are both excellent synths! I think they complement each other.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2020

Edit:
Blamsoft Movement has a setting that simulates the capacitor discharge behavior of a real analog envelope. Probably that...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Noplan
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2020

Everything from Synapse Audio is great. Sound, operation and design.

zero-13

23 Jun 2020

I almost passed on this gorgeous version since I recently got a good deal on the Arturia's OB-Xa version, so glad I said screw it, I want this lol! :puf_bigsmile:

Sounds exactly how I was hoping Arturia's would sound, not that the Arturia Implementation is bad but this Synapse execution is like a thunder-strike in comparison.

The other incredible thing, that was kinda bumming me out about Arturia's take, is that many of the Arturia presets cause huge DSP spikes and fluctuations, whereas every preset I've tested from Obsession, even the sequences are super efficient and the DSP meter does not move at all, simply killer! :shock: :D
Last edited by zero-13 on 23 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

tallguy

23 Jun 2020

I don't know what the effects on the Arturia are like, but the ones on Obsession are top notch. They complement the synth beautifully. Specially the shimmer on the reverb.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2020

A quick comparison at the 40m25s mark.

I really like the PA Oberhausen for the OB sounds. The Legend can do the 12dB OB style brass sounds too. Your still need to layer to get production quality anyhow.

Obsessions LFO step editor is cool though, don't know what other synth has that.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dezma

30 Jun 2020

Genuinely impressed. Like I was with antidote, then dune3, then legend. Let's be honest here: the real question is not whether or not to buy it, but rather who can wait until black Friday?

• Information