TouchOSC with U-he Zebra2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Hello,

I own TouchOSC and am using it with some success in Reason. I am trying to set it up with X/Y pads so I can us it on Zebra2's performance page inside of Reason. I cannot get Zebra2 to recognize the X/Y pads. I was able to get it to recognize faders to control the Core X and Core Y knobs, but no success with X/Y faders.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there other iPad based apps that will allow me to do this? I also tried Lemur, but no success there either.

joeyluck

23 Oct 2020

Did you have any luck with this?

I was just looking into this now that the all the presets for Zebra2 and ZebraHZ have the XY pads assigned.

I was following this thread on how to do it:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385888

However, even after I moved the .txt file into the u-he support folder (replacing the original), I still can't get Zebra to recognize the XY pads from TouchOSC...

joeyluck

23 Oct 2020

So I was able to get it to work (sort of) by using remote override...which tells me that TouchOSC template is transmitting the channels it says it should, but perhaps that .txt file has some errors...or I'm missing something.

The only problem with remote override, is I always have trouble trying to tell Reason which axis I'm looking to assign (when there's no knobs that are mirrored to the pad that I can click).

I'm probably going to create a template with several tabs that focuses just on the XY pads.
- Tab 1 will be all 4 pads, as large as they can be.
- And then the other tabs will be one large XY pad per tab.

I like adjusting several at a time, which is what that first tab will be for, but it's also nice to have the largest possible surface for one XY pad at a time and being able to quickly switch with the tabs.

Despondo
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2020

Yes, I finally got it working as well by doing the remote overrides. I'd still like to get it working straight out of TouchOSC. Let me know if you have any breakthroughs, and I will do the same.

BTW, I loaded up Lemur and had a blast with its physics driving all 4 pads once I got them mapped with remote overrides. I think this might be the way I control the Zebras for now. ;-)

I also tried using TouchOSC with PluginGuru's Unify, since it also has a standalone version. All of the controls on a Unify template I found, worked perfectly with the standalone version, but not when I ran the VST version in Reason. I wonder if something in Reason is causing erroneous or missing CC messages?

joeyluck

24 Oct 2020

Cool. I'll keep you posted. I have a thread started in the u-he forum:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 23cdcfca09

I've definitely found some weird behavior if you see my 2nd comment there. Zebra sees MIDI from other controllers, but not TouchOSC directly. I can do Reason remote overrides, but Zebra's own MIDI learn doesn't work with TouchOSC. I'm a bit perplexed, unless I have stumbled on a bug... But that's aside from the fact that I have the CCs already assigned.

I've put together my TouchOSC layout, and I think it will be very useful. I just need it to work properly without overrides.

It's really only the XY pads I want separate control of, so I've included every possible option: 4 pads, individual pads, and I've also included a Multi XY, which is also fun to use (first touch is for XY1, second touch is for XY2, and so on).

ZebraXY - 4 Pads.png
ZebraXY - 4 Pads.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 773 times
ZebraXY - XY1.png
ZebraXY - XY1.png (15.56 KiB) Viewed 773 times
ZebraXY - Multi.png
ZebraXY - Multi.png (17.85 KiB) Viewed 773 times

I'm also wondering if it's possible to link/mirror XY pads between TouchOSC pages. It's not a huge deal if not possible, but would be cool to see the changes mirrored between pages. I may also try to create a reset button that sets the XY pad to center, which also might not mirror in TouchOSC, but may still be useful.

Despondo
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2020

Ooh! I like the idea of the multi-touch! That's a great idea! I also like the idea of a reset button as well. Yes, it would be nice to have pages synced, but not sure if that is possible. I will take a look at your thread.

joeyluck

24 Oct 2020

So I checked the AU with GarageBand, and it works there. I'm not sure what is going on inside Reason...

I haven't actually tried to customize any controller, sending undefined MIDI CC's to VST parameters inside Reason before.

Am I missing a step in my MIDI setup? I also tried using the Advanced MIDI setup just to see if it would be different, and it doesn't work...

• Information