Zero Hybrid Track

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Wrote this track about two years ago I think. All synth patches are from the Zero Point Energy by Quixotic Sound Design. It was written with that intent only, to use that refill. Might turn this into something longer one day, but for now this short bit of music will do.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Zero/Expanse are never far from my "might get that" list.

A very digital sound but nice all the same.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
20 Jun 2020
Zero/Expanse are never far from my "might get that" list.

A very digital sound but nice all the same.

Yes Zero has a digital, or the way I often hear it "futuristic" character. It's not good everything but it really excels in some areas. And it does have its own particular character which is a huge strength imo. Might not be worth the current €129.00 price, but if you can get it during a sale I'd say it's worth getting.

Auryn

20 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jun 2020
Yes Zero has a digital, or the way I often hear it "futuristic" character. It's not good everything but it really excels in some areas. And it does have its own particular character which is a huge strength imo. Might not be worth the current €129.00 price, but if you can get it during a sale I'd say it's worth getting.
Get a soundcloud notification on my phone: "TritoneAddiction has posted a new track"
Press play
Hey, I know that sound! :puf_bigsmile:

Funny how you feel Zero has a very digital character when I find it quite organic in a way. My vote for most digital RE synth would go to Nostromo, but that kind of stuff is super subjective. Might be interesting for a seperate topic.
Anyway, I get how people become annoyed at price increases, but I feel 129 euro is still not an outlandish asking price though. Zero is a super versatile synth! Has a ton of features that you can't find anywhere else in the rack, just about *everything* has its own envelope pre-assigned and the bitcrushing filter1 is also unique and cool to use. Huge amount of CV inputs on the back, and it's even got some new features since I made the refill like the oversampling dial. Highly recommended! I'd love to do another refill for it if I can find the time, I made about 300 patches and I still haven't even begun to exhaust the possibilities.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Auryn wrote:
20 Jun 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jun 2020
Get a soundcloud notification on my phone: "TritoneAddiction has posted a new track"
Press play
Hey, I know that sound! :puf_bigsmile:

Funny how you feel Zero has a very digital character when I find it quite organic in a way. My vote for most digital RE synth would go to Nostromo, but that kind of stuff is super subjective. Might be interesting for a seperate topic.
Anyway, I get how people become annoyed at price increases, but I feel 129 euro is still not an outlandish asking price though. Zero is a super versatile synth! Has a ton of features that you can't find anywhere else in the rack, just about *everything* has its own envelope pre-assigned and the bitcrushing filter1 is also unique and cool to use. Huge amount of CV inputs on the back, and it's even got some new features since I made the refill like the oversampling dial. Highly recommended! I'd love to do another refill for it if I can find the time, I made about 300 patches and I still haven't even begun to exhaust the possibilities.
I think if I had the technical ability to make my own patches with Zero it would probably be worth the current full price. To me Zero is one of the most confusing synths I've ever come across. It's one of those synths that you have to actually know what you're doing to get something out of it. The few times I've tried tweaking it I've just felt frustrated. Half the time when I've tweaked something nothing happened. Of course if I read the manual I'd probably figure it out. But we both know that vill never happen. :lol: I gave up on understanding Zero a long time ago. To me it's a great sounding preset machine.

To be fair, there are only a few synths that I like making my own patches with: Legend, FM4, Megasaur and the Noise Engineering synths.

Auryn

22 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jun 2020
I think if I had the technical ability to make my own patches with Zero it would probably be worth the current full price. To me Zero is one of the most confusing synths I've ever come across. It's one of those synths that you have to actually know what you're doing to get something out of it. The few times I've tried tweaking it I've just felt frustrated. Half the time when I've tweaked something nothing happened. Of course if I read the manual I'd probably figure it out. But we both know that vill never happen. :lol: I gave up on understanding Zero a long time ago. To me it's a great sounding preset machine.

To be fair, there are only a few synths that I like making my own patches with: Legend, FM4, Megasaur and the Noise Engineering synths.
Yeah I can understand, FM synthesis is hella confusing at first. But that's also what's kind of cool about it. It's this arcane form of sound shaping where you never *exactly* know what's gonna happen when you turn that dial, which leads to a lot of cool surprises. I guess if you like to use FM 4 you should be somewhat familiar with the basics of it, actually. So using Zero shouldn't be that much more confusing...? It only has 2 more oscillators! :puf_smile:
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

FM is fascinating, allowing for a level of detail in instrument timbre design, not really there in the typical Model D style architecture.

To take advantage of this tho you really:
a) need to understand how it operates (hihi)
b) be able to see the architecture of your sound in your head
Otherwise, it does seem rather random - which is a great way to get jack of it, thinking it only makes nasty noises.

The problem is that it has not been easy for anyone to come up with a layout that makes the ability to see what is happening as easy as the Model D or Thor layout. One of the dramas is the Algorithm thing means that the way the OSC relate to one another is constantly moving around. The Mod Matrix approach is a good one as it removes the "flipping algo" thing completely (and all the fun/frustration it brings) but still means that the user needs to be able to see the structure of their sound in their head as well.

Maybe if someone made a "drag the OSC about" approach (a bit like FX in Europa only in two directions) we might get a winner.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MannequinRaces

22 Jun 2020

Nice little tune! Whenever sales roll around again I might have to trial this one.

mbfrancis

29 Jun 2020

Great little track...super digital, lush and warm all at the same time.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information