GHAMMY Harm / Pitch Shifter [by Turn2on]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

The GHAMMY effect is inspired by the famous guitar pedal and based on granular engine.
GHAMMY includes three fundamental modes: pitch shifting (GHAMMY), harmonizer (HARMY) and DETUNE.

Its a neo-classic pitch shifter, that include 5 Mutation modes of pitch slides. grains Resolution set buffer of grains, device include delay (with feedback), HPF, Limiter/Saturator, grains Vector and Quantize.
Dry/Wet signals available at "Manual" mode, at "By Mode" - device work like a pedal modes (GHAMMY shifts work as Dry at pedal expression at 0, HARMY have dry signal at MID position of Expression pedal).

Device support BLACK Skin:

reasonshop-orange.png
reasonshop-orange.png (19.15 KiB) Viewed 4779 times

Loque

18 Jun 2020

Wow...lots of pitching in a small device. Gotta check how it sounds. I need my pitch shifting here and there in Delays, fx, layering and many more...

Thanks for this release!
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

This has already become a big favourite. Been waiting for a Whammy and this one blows WhamDrive VST right out of the water. If you’ve got an Expression Pedal then it’s amazing. And if you don’t then it’s brilliant at the very least. Guitarists need this. Everyone else should get it too.
Turn2on are doing it right. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

18 Jun 2020

😳 neeeeeeed to try this out. I’ll be putting it up against the real deal and will report back.

but!—in the meantime, this looks great! looks like a rack version of the actual hardware might, but has many more features. my Whammy has the harmony and pitch bend modes, a classic (glitchy) and modern/chords (non-glitchy) setting, and a couple of detune modes (sort of like a unison or chorus effect), and that’s it. this looks like it could be a nice in-the-box option for when I don’t want to hook up my pedalboard.

damnit, I’m at work for another 6 hours. 😔
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020
😳 neeeeeeed to try this out. I’ll be putting it up against the real deal and will report back.

but!—in the meantime, this looks great! looks like a rack version of the actual hardware might, but has many more features. my Whammy has the harmony and pitch bend modes, a classic (glitchy) and modern/chords (non-glitchy) setting, and a couple of detune modes (sort of like a unison or chorus effect), and that’s it. this looks like it could be a nice in-the-box option for when I don’t want to hook up my pedalboard.

It’s magic man. The latest Digitechs have got the lift and drop feature but Turn2on have got that one covered as another RE as well. Awesome. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

18 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020

It’s magic man. The latest Digitechs have got the lift and drop feature but Turn2on have got that one covered as another RE as well. Awesome. :)
is that a “touch” feature—as in, you set the pitch bend amount, and how fast you want it to change, then instead of using an expression pedal, you click the button and it glides up or down to that pitch? so like a traditional stompbox rather than a foot controller?

for in-the-box stuff, I’d probably rarely use an expression pedal—more of an “I want this to be up an octave”, and just set it there and leave it kind of thing. having the option would be awesome though, if I’m really feeling too lazy to hook up my pedals.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

Love how you've even included a spare guitar pick - I'm always loosing picks!
(sounds cool too, BTW)
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020

is that a “touch” feature—as in, you set the pitch bend amount, and how fast you want it to change, then instead of using an expression pedal, you click the button and it glides up or down to that pitch? so like a traditional stompbox rather than a foot controller?

for in-the-box stuff, I’d probably rarely use an expression pedal—more of an “I want this to be up an octave”, and just set it there and leave it kind of thing. having the option would be awesome though, if I’m really feeling too lazy to hook up my pedals.
You can drag the pedal. You can drag the display. You can automate the controls. And you can put LFOs into the cvs and go crazy mental :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

18 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020

You can drag the pedal. You can drag the display. You can automate the controls. And you can put LFOs into the cvs and go crazy mental :)
the drop/lift RE? I figured you could do all that with this one, since the “expression pedal” is pretty conspicuous in the UI.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020

the drop/lift RE? I figured you could do all that with this one, since the “expression pedal” is pretty conspicuous in the UI.
I’m talking about the Whammy.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

18 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020

I’m talking about the Whammy.
👍🏼 gotcha, thanks!

bxbrkrz

18 Jun 2020

turn2on wrote:
18 Jun 2020
The GHAMMY effect is inspired by the famous guitar pedal and based on granular engine.
GHAMMY includes three fundamental modes: pitch shifting (GHAMMY), harmonizer (HARMY) and DETUNE.

Its a neo-classic pitch shifter, that include 5 Mutation modes of pitch slides. grains Resolution set buffer of grains, device include delay (with feedback), HPF, Limiter/Saturator, grains Vector and Quantize.
Dry/Wet signals available at "Manual" mode, at "By Mode" - device work like a pedal modes (GHAMMY shifts work as Dry at pedal expression at 0, HARMY have dry signal at MID position of Expression pedal).

Device support BLACK Skin:

reasonshop-orange.png
Again another winner. Thank you.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

challism

18 Jun 2020

So nice to see two skins supported. And nobody even had to riot to make that happen. I wish more REs did this. GUI is important.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

challism wrote:
18 Jun 2020
So nice to see two skins supported. And nobody even had to riot to make that happen. I wish more REs did this. GUI is important.
I like the red one :). Looks like the Digitech :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

Hi! Im glad to hear that you can find device interesting.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020
If you’ve got an Expression Pedal then it’s amazing.
Yes. If you have any pedal like Expression or Volume pedal you can use it..
But there can be some problem. You must have Expression pedal input in your setup.
Some hardware synths, pedals with usb, other hardware - can have onboard Expression input. But.. sometimes - only pedal on hands is not enough to wrk at PC/Mac.. Because you can need MIDI-> USB converter.

As example, year ago I bought very budget expression pedal NEKTAR NX-P ($19.99).. But its midi pedal (1/4 jack).
With some trick, if you have this expression pedal, or may be Volume pedal...
All you need to run it into REASON (or other DAW) - just MIDI -> USB converter.

I try to find ready box, its not cheap. But I found article about ARDUINO based converter, from KUASSA site.

Just bought Arduino Leonardo (Due) - clone price about $10. And upload into it Arduino sketch. Connect wires of 1/4 input stereo jack (GND, SIGNAL, +5V) and you have ready USB converter that work stable into Reason (for me as "Arduino Leonardo")

Im attach Manual to DOC section of product page about this. You can add some knobs, buttons, faders to the box. Its simple, and you can have own midi controller for very small price.
https://turn2on.com/utilities/diy-midi- ... converter/

You can also find projects how to use Volume pedal in this way too.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2020
The latest Digitechs have got the lift and drop feature but Turn2on have got that one covered as another RE as well.
Digitech Whammy V is actual 5th generation of pedal.
Yes, when we start to create Whammy, long time think about version of Whammy DT. This is the same pedal, that include DT section (Drop Tune)..

And we start from DT part as Drop'n'Lift RE. At first stage this is been simple transpose clone with semitones, to transpose guitar without need to change strings tune..
Early concept:
But idea of make it more interesting help to us create Drop'n'Lift more creative. We add two parallel transpose lines A/B with various modes (A, B, AvsB, Glitch, Pan, M/S..)...

And of course add granular to simple functional of Whammy in GHAMMY RE. Not have needs to emulate it totally. Just trying to make it more interesting.
guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Understand about what you talk. Its called Momentary pitch button. You can find this effect into another Digitech pedal world: Ricochet
Simple SPDT switch button, that activate pitch to the selected position... Small version of whammy..
I try to test it at near time...
But at this moment you can create Combinator, and set Button to the Expression, set Off (Expression = 0), On (Expression=100). This button activate pitch values from default minimum to the selected pitch level by GHAMMY sub-mode..
You can say, that this variant create jump, not slide of pitch... But, you can simply use Resolution grains size to set sound smoothy in various Mutation modes... it can work perfectly!
selig wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Love how you've even included a spare guitar pick - I'm always loosing picks!
Im very love various picks too, its why GHAMMY have it onboard))
guitfnky wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Drop'n'Lift not the same functional device.. DNL = Transpose utility (DropTune for strings). In other words, with this device, you can set semi-tones (half-tones).. Only jump from one semitone, to another.. JUMP. Its only transposition of incoming signal.
You can know that Whammy DT, include main Whammy V functional + DropTune section.. DNL = DropTune (DT).

GHAMMY - is a pitch-shifter + harmoniser. Expression pedal - work as pitch bending. You not jump (like DNL) from 0 to 12 semi.. You can slide with 0.0001 semitones... Its not the same. Also, 5 mutation modes change the sound of pitch slides.. Various sounds of active pitches..

Anyway, DNL (DropTune) cant make the same what DHAMMY can do.
challism wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Im understand, that not all users know/love original Whammy pedal colours. Red also can be not usable for some users..
Im try to find all red REs in shop and understand, that colour selection for this kind of colour need selectable skin.

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

Back to talk about Pitch-Button functional.
bkdrp.png
bkdrp.png (321.34 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
GHAMMY [LATCH-PB-MW].cmb.zip
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Its just a simple button to change 0/100 of Expression pedal position. Play with buffer for better results...
This combi include controls:
- Latch Pitch button
- PitchBend control (ideal for HARMY, when DRY signal at mid position of Expression pedal)
- Mod Wheel control (better for GHAMMY mode, Dry signal if Expression = 0)

But:
1) Its LATCH button, not momentary...
2) Its just a fast jump from 0 to 100. No time-curve for pitch-shifting.

Of course I can add Momentary button for Expression control.. but its also be a simple jump 0/100. And it can work with nice results.. if you set comfortably Resolution..
So, need some time to try Momentary button with curves, like it work in RICOCHET pedal way.

mtbh

18 Jun 2020

It tracks so much better than the original whammy but I have yet to see a pitchshifter in the digital domaine that can actually create the sound of the digitech whammy. The tracking and sound of the original is pretty glitchy.
For those who don't know the original pedal, listen to the Radiohead classic ;

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

Grains Resolution size can help to have glitch sound in first 3 modes of Mutation.
Also, GLITCH mode in the Drop'n'Lift RE can be real friend for Ghammy.
But GHAMMY of course not circuit clone of original pedal, its granular shifter inspired by whammy from functional side.
I think that Digitech prepare in near time (may be years) new ghammy algorithms with newer 6th generation of pedal.
Also.. Whammy have various sound in own generations by few aspects.

Gardinski

19 Jun 2020

This thing is absolutely INCREDIBLE on vocals! (And it's sublime on guitars obviously, but that's a given.)

But really - the vocal thing is a huge and wonderful surprise. I'm slightly terrified by what I'm coming up with.

guitfnky

19 Jun 2020

turn2on wrote:
18 Jun 2020
(things)
okay man, I’ve got a bone to pick with you...wtf were you thinking not allowing patch saving on this beast?

good thing you can save it in a combi. 😅

seriously though, this thing sounds really good. almost as good as an actual Digitech Whammy, but the additional options it open up so many different textures and sounds you could never get with the hardware box.

very impressed (and bought).

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Jun 2020

It’s not a problem, few requests there to add patch support, and It will be included at near update.
At early concept stage, before make granular additions, when device been like a whammy - no been needs to add it (it’s been pitch presets device). When we add additional functional, this is a question need or not patches in release..
Please write at this topic if support patches needed.
Ps: Also if anybody send own patches to me, I can add them with your nick(or name) sign to patches.

littlejam

20 Jun 2020

hello,

can someone state when the sale on this RE ends please?

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

chimp_spanner

23 Jun 2020

turn2on wrote:
19 Jun 2020
It’s not a problem, few requests there to add patch support, and It will be included at near update.
At early concept stage, before make granular additions, when device been like a whammy - no been needs to add it (it’s been pitch presets device). When we add additional functional, this is a question need or not patches in release..
Please write at this topic if support patches needed.
Ps: Also if anybody send own patches to me, I can add them with your nick(or name) sign to patches.
Damn you're knocking it out of the park with REs lately! I absolutely love this - it's the pitch shifter I've needed in the rack forever. Just ONE thing - playing an F2 through a synth (just plain sine/saw) doesn't seem to correct properly. It's kind of microtonal. Otherwise this is an absolutely brilliant device. <3

turn2on
RE Developer

23 Jun 2020

littlejam wrote:
20 Jun 2020
can someone state when the sale on this RE ends please?
Hi, up to the 1st July.
chimp_spanner wrote:
23 Jun 2020
playing an F2 through a synth (just plain sine/saw) doesn't seem to correct properly. It's kind of microtonal.
I think you just need to play with Resolution grain buffer size. This microtonal shifts - can be regulated with two main granular parameters:
- Resolution (size of grains)
- Mutation mode (how active shifts change sound character in expression slide, this is more about the smoothing of grains and selected range of shifting)
There no special microtonal fx or errors, but you can easy find this effect on many notes for any special sound note and expression level of pitch.
Resolution - is a heart of granular settings.
(of course I already try to check waveforms from synths and know about this "like a microtonal" effect. Just use it, in special size of Resolution for various signals)

• Information