New headphones break in?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
zero-13

18 Jun 2020

Hi Everyone,

A sound treated room and nice studio monitors are but a dream at the moment, so I pulled the trigger on a pair beyerdynamic 1990 pros, and was curious about this whole headphone break in thing.

The webynets are very much divided on this subject, however, I noticed most sources I found seem to be mostly audio production civilians. I'd love some producer perspective on the subject?

WOO

19 Jun 2020

Never heard of a break in for headphones. I currently use fostex T20 and beyerdynamic 770's. Never broke those in and still work well after a decade of use.

DaveyG

19 Jun 2020

There is a bit of merit in breaking in loudspeakers - just to lose the initial slight stiffness of the cones, but I can't see any benefit in doing it with headphones.

O1B

19 Jun 2020

My old DT 770s - I "broke in". I just ran bassy/kicky hip hop overnight.
My new Senns, I never got around to it.

I can still catch with a new glove, but I'd much prefer it to be softer and well oiled.

If your cans have good bass reflex - as the 990s do - go for it.... moderately mid-high volume.
Just down "blow" 'em.

pushedbutton

19 Jun 2020

If they sound good go with it, if they change over time you'll adapt. We're not talking about medical grade precision here, it's just a pair of headphones.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2020

When I've tried to research the "break in" concept and found data, it indicated a very small change over time (fractions of a dB).
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker ... or-fiction
But it very well could be materials have improved over time, and "break in" was more important with older materials than it is today. Who knows, except to say it's "logical" that a physical system will settle in with time when brand new, and at the same time also say it's logical this change may or may not be perceptible. And if it's true with one drive, it should be true with all drivers
KEF say it applies to headphones as well:
https://www.shop.us.kef.com/blog/some-f ... -speakers/

But again, it can both be true AND inaudible in most cases, or it can be audible (but difficult to judge if the process takes place over hours/days unless you have two pairs to compare side by side).

Best thing to do then IMO is simply to not use new drivers for critical work in the first 24 hours or so of use - just to be sure!
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

19 Jun 2020

Just to add, whilst I don't think there is any merit in it, it certainly won't do any harm and it's easy enough to do. And unlike speakers you won't be making a lot of noise for some hours (we used to wire the loudspeakers out of phase and point them at each other to reduce the racket!)

Heater

19 Jun 2020

I have some snake oil to sell you...

DaveyG

19 Jun 2020

Heater wrote:
19 Jun 2020
I've always wondered why someone would want to oil a snake. Do they squeak?

zero-13

19 Jun 2020

Thank you guys!

These are the most expensive headphones I’ve ever owned, I justified it with the thinking that these are going to be my studio for a while.

Due to the higher impedance, I even ordered a db meter to mark the area of my audio interface at 85db so I won’t go past and risk wrecking the old wax factories, so I figured I’d also better get some real advice and perspective on this break-in thing.

So it sounds like if there is any change over time it is pretty minor.

I’ll take Selig’s suggestion and run them for at least 24hrs.

Much appreciated!

littlejam

19 Jun 2020

hello,

i would use several different types of headphones to a/b compare
like mixing in stereo / mono on different types of speakers
and using reference tracks

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

jam-s

20 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
19 Jun 2020
Heater wrote:
19 Jun 2020
I've always wondered why someone would want to oil a snake. Do they squeak?
I've heard only the trouser snake brand does it but then it's quite a sight. :twisted:

• Information