Synapse Audio introduces OBSESSION, an OB-Xa emulation

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

Looks like the leak was accidental. Somewhere in that KVR thread someone said they read news on Synapse's site that Obsession is supposed to be officially released on Monday June 22nd for $99, with the RE version to be released a few weeks after that. Still hoping it releases before the weekend now, although I have no hopes it'll be released today since it's almost 7pm in Germany. Ah well, at least you can browse the manual: https://new.synapse-audio.com/obsession ... Manual.pdf
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

18 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2020
Looks like the leak was accidental. Somewhere in that KVR thread someone said they read news on Synapse's site that Obsession is supposed to be officially released on Monday June 22nd for $99, with the RE version to be released a few weeks after that. Still hoping it releases before the weekend now, although I have no hopes it'll be released today since it's almost 7pm in Germany. Ah well, at least you can browse the manual: https://new.synapse-audio.com/obsession ... Manual.pdf
Man...i am curious to get it in my hand. It looks so cheap, but i know some devices have something...Always when i add The Legend to my rack it has a patch for me and i am still to noob to get such patches going. I also tried the free OBX and it sounds pretty good. Some devices just deliver, dont know why till now...and Synapse always delivers. That freaking freaks! Never had such a punch in my face in the last years as i had with Dune3, even on a simple oscialltor...wth? :? :shock: :lol:

But i am waiting for the RE version and hoping for a song contest. I think we will see a lot of 80's jumps :-D
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

18 Jun 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2020
Looks like it was out for a short time. The page is now blank. A few ppl could buy it and have a serial.
https://new.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html
Yeah new.synapse-audio might be subdomain for testing. I don't think that's how the url will publish?

VariableX

18 Jun 2020

Yep i'm excited for this one!
Really hope the RE drops at the same time as the VST!
Makes sense to release them together in my opinion πŸ‘πŸΌ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

I think he has to release the VST ASAP because Arturia released theirs, IK did their OB freebie, PA did Oberhausen for $20. Can't wait for the RE manual and RS's release schedule during summer, that would delay him 1-2 mo.

Saw they added Reverb, Chorus, Delay. Think he should have added the RE Phaser code and a good guitar distortion pedal code for FX too, and a simple EQ. All was key to get a good sound from the analog beasts back in the days.
The list of patch makers looks promising, so I'm sure there will be good sounds coming straight out of it.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

raymondh

18 Jun 2020

Reading the manual (which has still been left online in the non-release), there are a couple of warnings about the device being CPU intensive.

I guess we will individually see how it behaves on our various setups.

If it is intensive, I'll probably go for the VSTi version because after bouncing a track, you can 'turn off' the VSTi and it no longer uses CPU. I don't think we can achieve the same result with a RE (or can we, anyone?)

antic604

20 Jun 2020

Demos are up and seems it can be bought already?

Also, anyone noticed it looks like a RE? ;) :D

https://www.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Oh, and in regards to the RE, Richard said this on KVR:

"The Rack Extension is planned for mid-July, a few things related to the GUI must be re-arranged for reasons specific to the RE format. The core is working in Reason already and has been ever since we started developing the plugin. Similar to The Legend, we use our cross-platform VST/AU/AAX/RE framework here. This is the reason btw why the GUI has similar proportions like The Legend does."

Richard

This was a no brainer instant purchase for me - didn't even demo it, cuz you know it's going to be good.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Synapse Audio did it again, another masterpiece this Synth

the interface is too good, it's worth having the REs

antic604

20 Jun 2020

sdst wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2020
Synapse Audio did it again, another masterpiece this Synth

the interface is too good, it's worth having the REs
It's coming very soon :)

Oh, sorry - just saw this info was already posted :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tallguy

20 Jun 2020

Just downloaded the demo. Oh my, that thing sounds astonishing. The interface is slick, responsive and easy to grasp. Will do some more in-depth demo-ing before I jump to any final conclusions, but first impressions are positive.

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Crazy difference between Obsession and Arturia's OBXA. I have no idea which is truer to the og OBX-A, but Obsession's sound is what I thought in my brain the OBXA sounded like.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

21 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2020
MPE support and pitch bend range of +/- 48 :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Turns out the pitch bend setting is per patch...

Kudos for embracing the the new standard and the future with much greater pitch bend range...
But I really wish the pitch bend range was a global setting and independent of patches. Every time I load a new patch, I have to readjust the pitch bend range again.

On this topic, I don't know why so many synths make the pitch bend range tied to patches. It's very seldom that I find a particular pitch bend range to be complimentary of a patch. And especially when using a Seaboard or similar controller, the 2 semitones, or 7 semitones, or whatever the setting may be, is insignificant when you are performing pitch glides from note to note.

So I hope they consider making pitch bend range independent of patches.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

21 Jun 2020
20 Jun 2020
MPE support and pitch bend range of +/- 48 :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Kudos for embracing the the new standard and the future with much greater pitch bend range...
But I really wish the pitch bend range was a global setting and independent of patches. Every time I load a new patch, I have to readjust the pitch bend range again.

On this topic, I don't know why so many synths make the pitch bend range tied to patches. It's very seldom that I find a particular pitch bend range to be complimentary of a patch. And especially when using a Seaboard or similar controller, the 2 semitones, or 7 semitones, or whatever the setting may be, is insignificant when you are performing pitch glides from note to note.

A few synths have these "lock buttons" for FX or sequencers, really a good idea, and should be implemented as std for a few functions IMO.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

21 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2020
21 Jun 2020

A few synths have these "lock buttons" for FX or sequencers, really a good idea, and should be implemented as std for a few functions IMO.
Yeah this was one of my suggestions to be able to lock any parameter, and perhaps something Reason can implement and be applicable to any parameter on any device regardless of when it was released.

Heater

22 Jun 2020

Sounds fantastic.

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

INSTABUY!!! Period!
marcuswitt wrote: ↑
21 May 2020
Hi folks,

Synapse Audio has just introduced OBSESSION, which is nothing but an emulation of the Oberheim OB-Xa that sounds and looks very promising. Let's hope that Synapse will bring that 'baby' to the RE world too. Would be an instant buy for me.

Cheers!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12 ο£Ώ IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

tallguy

22 Jun 2020

21 Jun 2020
21 Jun 2020

Obsession has parameter locking. Just right-click on any button or knob

BRIGGS

22 Jun 2020

r11s

joeyluck

22 Jun 2020

tallguy wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2020
21 Jun 2020

Obsession has parameter locking. Just right-click on any button or knob
Oh I totally missed this. Thanks!

parameter lock.png
parameter lock.png (136.67 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

But until Reason has such a feature, it would be great if the PB range was independent of patches.

Also, thinking ahead, if Reason were to implement a parameter lock function, I hope it wouldn't be excluded from the back panel...

joeyluck

22 Jun 2020

What's even cooler about the parameter lock is it remembered the setting when I enabled it using the VST in Reason and opened the AU in Logic :thumbs_up:

tallguy

22 Jun 2020

22 Jun 2020
What's even cooler about the parameter lock is it remembered the setting when I enabled it using the VST in Reason and opened the AU in Logic :thumbs_up:
Yes, it will remember it between sessions.

So far one of the things I find puzzling is the lack of host sync for the LFOs, specially with S&H. Unless I'm missing something

kinkujin

22 Jun 2020

Can't wait to get home and download this thang. I'm a sucker for Synapse.

• Information