Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adfielding

29 May 2020

Thanks a bunch to everyone who made it last night! I've got the stream archived on YouTube now, so if you missed it you can check it out here.

I felt like I was very much flagging by the time I got to recording vocals/guitars, but listening back to it today I'm actually really pleased with how the tune turned out! Always funny to capture that feeling of self-doubt (that I'm sure most people experience when working on something) during a stream, and to correctly predict that I'd probably quite like the track today as well.

All the project files/exports for this stream (and all previous streams) are available here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ngvvneo5431 ... 22H4a?dl=0

If you'd rather just give the tune a listen, you can check that out here.

Next week I'll be having a little break from music-making sessions and having a Q&A/retrospective stream while I think about what to do next. Hope to see some of you there!

EsotericSound

30 May 2020

Good stream. It reminded me a little bit of your old material. Almost like it could have fit somewhere between Distant Activity and Lightfilelds, but informed by years of honing your craft.

I love the Evolution player, but I found it slightly unintuitive, until I watched your stream. It really started clicking, so thank you. :) There was a point later in the video where you were messing with Evolution and the Density, and wishing that there were notes at the start of the pattern. I'm finding that playing around with the Rotation, Variation, and Select functions will produce different patterns as well. Sometimes they will move the notes farther away from the start position, and other times you'll have something that starts right at the beginning.

adfielding

04 Jun 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
30 May 2020
Good stream. It reminded me a little bit of your old material. Almost like it could have fit somewhere between Distant Activity and Lightfilelds, but informed by years of honing your craft.

I love the Evolution player, but I found it slightly unintuitive, until I watched your stream. It really started clicking, so thank you. :) There was a point later in the video where you were messing with Evolution and the Density, and wishing that there were notes at the start of the pattern. I'm finding that playing around with the Rotation, Variation, and Select functions will produce different patterns as well. Sometimes they will move the notes farther away from the start position, and other times you'll have something that starts right at the beginning.
Thanks! That's a really interesting observation about it sitting between DA & Lightfields - I seem to be on a bit of a 00s-binge at the moment in terms of the style of music I've been writing, which I think actually started back when I did the Kinesis stream back in April (I think?). I've been working on something with a very 2004 nu-school breaks kind of feel today which has been a ton of fun, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was still seeping into the livestream tracks :) I've been messing around more with Evolution since last week, and it's really clicking nicely with me at the moment... I'd say right now both Evolution and Beat Map are my favourite Players (though the pesky de-sync/random drift with Beat Map I've had in a couple of streams is odd - not sure what's up with that), but Drum Sequencer is a lovely Player as well.

I'm going to be doing another stream tonight (June 4th) at 7pm BST (8pm CEST/2pm EDT), this time focussing on going over the past four weeks of music written during these streams, what worked/didn't work, what I'd change, that kind of stuff. I'll also be taking questions and demonstrating stuff throughout, so tune in if you've got anything you'd like to ask or if you want me to go over a particular technique :) Hope to see some of you there!

twitch.tv/adfielding

adfielding

06 Jun 2020

Thanks a lot to everyone who made it to the stream on Thursday! It was nice to go over some of these tunes again, I hadn't opened some of them for 3 or 4 weeks so it was nice to go back and have a look at them again :)

I'm not going to be streaming on Twitch next Thursday as I figured a break probably wouldn't be a bad call at this point, but I'll be back streaming again soon. Thanks so much to everyone who's been tuning into these streams regularly, I really appreciate it and I'm looking forward to getting back into my regular Thursday routine in a couple of weeks. Cheers!

Chi-Individual

07 Jun 2020

Hi Adam,
It's Chi Town Kid79(pronounced shy-town, as in Chicago if you weren't sure). First I wanted to thank you for all the great streams you've been doing over the past few months. Your content has been grade A and a refreshing change from being overwhelmed with content for other DAW's. I don't know why more content for Reason isn't made. But I just wanted to share some ideas for possible future streams. Who knows maybe one will catch your eye. Anyway, here's some bongos :lol:

1. One synth track from scratch (you can use any drums and FX you want but all parts of the song, bass, lead etc, have to be made with one synth only)
2. Writing to a picture. (You or the chat picking random pics from the internet ahead of the stream and you making your interpretation of that pic musically) ex: post apocalyptic pic may call for something with a lot of bass and harsh leads at a fast tempo.
3. Loops only. (you can use factory or imported loops to make the entire song. this would be a hard one I think)
4. Open one of your old unfinished tracks from a long time ago and actually finish it on stream.

That's all I have for now. Don't forget to download Processed Pianos. I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the tap delay and shimmer verb on that RE used as an insert or send effect. Thanks again for the great streams. Have a good one and see you Thursday.

adfielding

08 Jun 2020

Chi-Individual wrote:
07 Jun 2020
Hi Adam,
It's Chi Town Kid79(pronounced shy-town, as in Chicago if you weren't sure). First I wanted to thank you for all the great streams you've been doing over the past few months. Your content has been grade A and a refreshing change from being overwhelmed with content for other DAW's. I don't know why more content for Reason isn't made. But I just wanted to share some ideas for possible future streams. Who knows maybe one will catch your eye. Anyway, here's some bongos :lol:

1. One synth track from scratch (you can use any drums and FX you want but all parts of the song, bass, lead etc, have to be made with one synth only)
2. Writing to a picture. (You or the chat picking random pics from the internet ahead of the stream and you making your interpretation of that pic musically) ex: post apocalyptic pic may call for something with a lot of bass and harsh leads at a fast tempo.
3. Loops only. (you can use factory or imported loops to make the entire song. this would be a hard one I think)
4. Open one of your old unfinished tracks from a long time ago and actually finish it on stream.

That's all I have for now. Don't forget to download Processed Pianos. I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the tap delay and shimmer verb on that RE used as an insert or send effect. Thanks again for the great streams. Have a good one and see you Thursday.
Oh hey, good to see you here! Really appreciate the ideas - I've actually considered doing number 4 for a little while now, I also quite like numbers 1 and 3 (I think for a real challenge I'd limit myself to factory loops only for number 3, though :) ). Number 2 could be interesting, would be really neat to see where that went actually - yeah these are all great ideas! Thanks for the suggestions and, yes, I've downloaded Processed Pianos. tbh I'm not sure why I didn't have it installed before, probably an oversight on my part (or I got too zealous with my instrument culling a while back).

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed but I won't be streaming this Thursday. However, I'll be back next week on the 18th June at the usual time (7pm BST). Hope to see you there, and thanks again for the cool ideas!

Billy+

08 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
08 Jun 2020

I'm not sure if you noticed but I won't be streaming this Thursday. However, I'll be back next week on the 18th June at the usual time (7pm BST). Hope to see you there, and thanks again for the cool ideas!
Hi Adam, I just noticed you won't be streaming this Thursday but was wondering is your going to be on Tuesdays Reason Studios stream that you missed out on last week?

adfielding

10 Jun 2020

Billy wrote:
08 Jun 2020
Hi Adam, I just noticed you won't be streaming this Thursday but was wondering is your going to be on Tuesdays Reason Studios stream that you missed out on last week?
So... yeah, about that. The plan originally was to join Ryan on the RS stream this week. Unfortunately I've been feeling pretty lousy since the weekend and asked Ryan if he'd be ok if we postponed. Ryan was incredibly cool about it (I asked him the day before so I felt like I might have been dropping him in it a bit!) and said "of course, health comes first" so - fingers crossed! - I should be on next week.

For what it's worth - I seem to have hit a bit of a turning point today and I'm feeling a bit more myself. I'm almost certain it wasn't COVID-19... but at this point, hey, who knows.

Billy+

10 Jun 2020

Good to hear your on the mend Adam, take it easy

adfielding

16 Jun 2020

Tonight (June 16th) I'll be joining Ryan over on the Reason Studios YouTube livestream! Stream starts at 6pm BST / 10am PDT, don't miss it :)

Billy+

17 Jun 2020

Good to see you up and streaming on RS stream Adam.

I take it Thursdays stream is still on? Any sneak previews of what you might be doing?
Maybe another Reason only stream, well and maybe the Valhalla verb + VK2.

adfielding

18 Jun 2020

Billy wrote:
17 Jun 2020
Good to see you up and streaming on RS stream Adam.

I take it Thursdays stream is still on? Any sneak previews of what you might be doing?
Maybe another Reason only stream, well and maybe the Valhalla verb + VK2.
Yes indeed, I'll still be streaming over on Twitch tonight (Thursday 18th June) at 7pm BST :)

twitch.tv/adfielding

I'd be happy to give a little preview except... uhhh... I'm still thinking about what I'm actually going to do, haha! I'm leaning towards doing something quite players-centric again as it's been a while since I've done that, possibly something a bit more lively as most of the last batch of tunes I wrote on stream have leaned toward the downtempo.

Aosta

18 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
18 Jun 2020
possibly something a bit more lively as most of the last batch of tunes I wrote on stream have leaned toward the downtempo.
A Dutch Gabba/Thrash Metal crossover? :D
Tend the flame

Billy+

18 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
18 Jun 2020
possibly something a bit more lively
Are you talking 128 BPM EDM or full on 170 gaba

Either way I'm stocking up on beer & looking forward to the evening, catch you later.

adfielding

18 Jun 2020

Aosta wrote:
18 Jun 2020
A Dutch Gabba/Thrash Metal crossover? :D
Billy wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Are you talking 128 BPM EDM or full on 170 gaba

Either way I'm stocking up on beer & looking forward to the evening, catch you later.
I... uhhh... I'm probably not going to be writing any gabba. Sorry folks! :)

My thinking is I'll go somewhere in the middle - I'll stick the tempo to about 140bpm and see what pops out. Should be interesting!

Stream starts in a couple of hours or so, hope to see some of you there!

adfielding

19 Jun 2020

Thanks to everyone who made it last night! The stream is now archived over on YouTube and on Twitch as a highlight - if you missed it, you can check it out here via YouTube:

In retrospect I feel like maybe I should have done something a little "lighter" this week, between the RS stream and this I get the impression that I may have stretched myself a little more thinly than I would have liked. That said, listening back to the tune I'm actually way happier with it than I was at the end of the stream last night (surprise surprise!), one of these days I'll learn that working on a tune for a few hours or so without a break isn't always going to result in something I'm immediately happy with! :)

As always, you can check out the project file and track exports here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ngvvneo5431 ... 22H4a?dl=0

I'll be streaming again next Thursday 25th June. Cheers!

EsotericSound

19 Jun 2020

I'm about half way through the YouTube archive of this last stream, and the more I think about it, the more I think you and the chat might be on to something with a sample pack of nasal risers.

Really, you and Panda should team up to create a nasal riser rack extension for April Fools. I can see it now, there's controls on the RE to change the speed and intensity of the inhale. You can then create grains from the onboard sample and use Panda's randomization to randomize the grains of the nasal sample. Chuck some reverb as an option on the RE and you can call it Nasal Wash. :D

Regardless, thanks for providing us hours of really great content.

Cheers!

adfielding

22 Jun 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
19 Jun 2020
I'm about half way through the YouTube archive of this last stream, and the more I think about it, the more I think you and the chat might be on to something with a sample pack of nasal risers.

Really, you and Panda should team up to create a nasal riser rack extension for April Fools. I can see it now, there's controls on the RE to change the speed and intensity of the inhale. You can then create grains from the onboard sample and use Panda's randomization to randomize the grains of the nasal sample. Chuck some reverb as an option on the RE and you can call it Nasal Wash. :D

Regardless, thanks for providing us hours of really great content.
Oh wow, now THERE's an idea I hadn't even considered! I've previously had a few odd ideas for sample libraries but I've never really followed through on them, instead ending up with personal banks that I've ended up just dipping into myself. A Nasal Riser April Fools RE would be pretty darn hilarious! :)

Thanks for the idea and for checking out the latest stream! It's supposed to be a bit of a scorcher here later in the week, so I'm thinking that maybe I'll do something that isn't a music-making session this week - I feel like I'd rather be doing something a little more laid back if I'm going to be steadily evaporating. Or not! I'm undecided.

graeme75

22 Jun 2020

Hi Adam

I'm loving your live streams, and slowly working through them, but they are so well explained and executed.
Have you thought about explaining how you order your library on stream? Not for 2.5 hours obviously but maybe a 20 minute piece on how you sort and order your shortcuts devices etc. I'm sure it would help a lot of people out, myself included

Cheers
Graeme

Billy+

23 Jun 2020

What this weeks theme going to be Adam?

adfielding

24 Jun 2020

graeme75 wrote:
22 Jun 2020
I'm loving your live streams, and slowly working through them, but they are so well explained and executed.
Have you thought about explaining how you order your library on stream? Not for 2.5 hours obviously but maybe a 20 minute piece on how you sort and order your shortcuts devices etc. I'm sure it would help a lot of people out, myself included
Thanks Graeme! That's a really good idea, I tend to take that kind of thing for granted but I've been doing a pretty solid job of keeping on top of my "sonic palette" lately, and I've recently had a total overhaul of my sample library (the original version of which dates back to about 2002), so that'd be interesting to touch upon. I'm thinking of breaking up my music-making sessions a bit more frequently and this would be a great topic to touch on.
Billy wrote:
23 Jun 2020
What this weeks theme going to be Adam?
I was thinking of doing something more straight-forward this week as it's going to be a bit of a scorcher here, but I recently picked up Rhythmiq and Largo and I think both of those would make for an excellent way to get a track idea started quickly. Probably something a bit more chilled out this week, and I might not hang about for as long as I usually do (depends on whether I evaporate or not) but I'd love to get another track down.

Billy+

24 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
24 Jun 2020

I was thinking of doing something more straight-forward this week as it's going to be a bit of a scorcher here, but I recently picked up Rhythmiq and Largo and I think both of those would make for an excellent way to get a track idea started quickly. Probably something a bit more chilled out this week, and I might not hang about for as long as I usually do (depends on whether I evaporate or not) but I'd love to get another track down.
Did you pickup Largo from here https://audioplugin.deals/deal-2/

What do you think of the V2 Stutter edit?

adfielding

24 Jun 2020

Billy wrote:
24 Jun 2020
Did you pickup Largo from here https://audioplugin.deals/deal-2/
That's the one! In case you missed it - there's a thread about it here with a nifty code for an extra $5 off :)
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7518273
Billy wrote:
24 Jun 2020
What do you think of the V2 Stutter edit?
I feel like I'm well past the peak of my beat-repeat/stutter-edits-everywhere phase - I still use them, just pretty sparingly nowadays.

For what it's worth, I only picked up SEv1 during a crazy sale last year so I'm really not in a rush to upgrade!

Billy+

24 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
24 Jun 2020

For what it's worth, I only picked up SEv1 during a crazy sale last year so I'm really not in a rush to upgrade!
Unfortunately I still need to buy a new audio card before I can't update my mac and as such don't meet the requirements for OS compatibility, Very disappointed with the support for the EiEPro and I picked it over the 2i2 as I wanted the extra outputs. Oh and I really liked the Analog VU meters.... my mistake style over substance.

however I am still interested in Rhythmiq & Regroover Pro bundle & ive just noticed Evolution is back on sale, so I might have to pass on Largo unless your sessions proves other wise, so I'm looking forward to it as always.

adfielding

25 Jun 2020

Ok... so my original plan was to stream tonight despite the heat, but then I ended up sleeping like crap last night. I feel like one of these and I’d have gone ahead, but doing a tired stream on the hottest day of the year? Doesn’t sound like a recipe for a good time.

So yeah, no stream from me tonight. I’ll be back at the usual time next week - hope to see some of you then!

edit: given that I'm not streaming tonight, I figured now would be a good time to remind everyone that all of my old music-making streams are archived on YouTube, so this week could be an excellent time to catch up on an old stream you might have missed. Or not! You do you :)

You can check out my previous music-making streams here.

• Information