Am I the only Reason 4 user on here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
glass-puppy

16 Jun 2020

Am I the only reason 4 user on here? Lol. :shock:

MannequinRaces

17 Jun 2020

Maybe. I have a special place in my heart for R4. That's the first version I purchased! :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2020

I upgrade immediately on every version so R4 is like 12 years ago now or something.

No reason you can't be there but I wonder if you might not gain from Europa or Thor or the Seq updates or the Mixing...?

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

kooshan

17 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
16 Jun 2020
I’m still using Reason 4
The best version ever for several reasons

dvdrtldg

17 Jun 2020

kooshan wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I’m still using Reason 4
Be interested to hear some of those reasons

I started on 4, it was great but cmon, "best version ever"?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2020

You're missing out dude. Lots of improvements have been made.

kooshan

17 Jun 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2020
kooshan wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I’m still using Reason 4

I’m also a reason 11 user but R4 has every essential device I need , and it’s damn light .
I could easily make music with R4 even with the lack of audio track. Allthough some few useful devices are missing like neptune ....

MannequinRaces

17 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I upgrade immediately on every version so R4 is like 12 years ago now or something.

No reason you can't be there but I wonder if you might not gain from Europa or Thor or the Seq updates or the Mixing...?

Thor was introduced in R4! :)

Nielsen

17 Jun 2020

I used version 4 until version 10.

pushedbutton

17 Jun 2020

I upgraded every version since I got a legit version of 4.... except 11, but who'd be daft enough to upgrade from 10 to 11? lol
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ninjadog

17 Jun 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2020
kooshan wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I’m still using Reason 4

No doubt...2.5 was the best version ever!

Oquasec

17 Jun 2020

I got started when reason 5 came out.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

glass-puppy

17 Jun 2020

Nielsen wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I used version 4 until version 10.
Really? What got you to upgrade?

glass-puppy

17 Jun 2020

kooshan wrote:
17 Jun 2020
glass-puppy wrote:
16 Jun 2020
I’m still using Reason 4
Really? Why haven't you upgraded? Everyone else has.. Arent you ever concerned about being ... I dunno.. "behind the times" or something?.. What kind of music do you make?

glass-puppy

17 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
17 Jun 2020

Do you ever even use the old synths?

glass-puppy

17 Jun 2020

kooshan wrote:
17 Jun 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jun 2020

I’m also a reason 11 user but R4 has every essential device I need , and it’s damn light .
I could easily make music with R4 even with the lack of audio track. Allthough some few useful devices are missing like neptune ....
What do you think about R4s audio quality tho?

glass-puppy

18 Jun 2020

visheshl wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I was using 4 till now but when 11 came out with RRP, i upgraded
What do you think so far?

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

Yes I still use Subtractor a lot. It is my #3 go-to synth (Europa, Thor Sub).

Some of the smaller older units not so much but I didn't love them ever. I never write them off however as there is always a time they are perfect, like the red reverb for its sound. The red half-rack Compressor & Distortion are the only things I am likely never to use again. Like anything, you move around a bit digging this tool now, the other later...

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

SebAudio

18 Jun 2020

visheshl wrote:
18 Jun 2020
4 was really a synth lover version. I’ve stopped upgrading (every version from v1 !) at 6.5 and can’t wait for RRP when retina friendly :P

visheshl

18 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
18 Jun 2020
visheshl wrote:
18 Jun 2020
What do you think so far?
It was a great upgrade for me, i got so many new toys which i didn't have,and now i can use all of that inside another DAW so it was well worth it.

adfielding

18 Jun 2020

Reasons 1 - 4 will always be a bit magical for me. All of those versions cover very important, very particular periods of my life, and I have a strong attachment to them as a result. It's one of the main reasons I decided to put together a VM a few years back to catalogue those old releases. Reason 4 stands out in particular as it was the version I used to produce my first "proper" album, which was a much-needed release from a bit of a weird time in my life.

I also have a fun memory of my beta DVD arriving in the post on a particularly sunny day, and having to contain my excitement from my housemate who - as a fellow Reason user at the time - was particularly interested in what was going on! I also remember sitting down with Thor for the first time and realising "oh wow, they've only gone and knocked it out of the park again!".

A lot has changed since then and there's no way I'd ever choose to go back (outside of an odd project or something), but I consider R4 to be my own personal "favourite" based on added features, personal circumstance, and timing.

kooshan

18 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Reasons 1 - 4 will always be a bit magical for me. All of those versions cover very important, very particular periods of my life, and I have a strong attachment to them as a result. It's one of the main reasons I decided to put together a VM a few years back to catalogue those old releases. Reason 4 stands out in particular as it was the version I used to produce my first "proper" album, which was a much-needed release from a bit of a weird time in my life.

I also have a fun memory of my beta DVD arriving in the post on a particularly sunny day, and having to contain my excitement from my housemate who - as a fellow Reason user at the time - was particularly interested in what was going on! I also remember sitting down with Thor for the first time and realising "oh wow, they've only gone and knocked it out of the park again!".

A lot has changed since then and there's no way I'd ever choose to go back (outside of an odd project or something), but I consider R4 to be my own personal "favourite" based on added features, personal circumstance, and timing.
Hi adam.
I believe that each version of Reason sounds a bit different( not that much but different) what do you think about this? I’ve tested this so many times during all these years ...
Bytheway is it possible to listen to the album you composed with R4?

adfielding

18 Jun 2020

kooshan wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I believe that each version of Reason sounds a bit different( not that much but different) what do you think about this? I’ve tested this so many times during all these years ...
I don't think there's any major change between versions outside of what's added - for example, if you open a tune made in Reason 1 in Reason 4 I'm pretty sure it'd sound exactly the same. I've opened old (<v5) tunes in newer versions of Reason and they've generally sounded exactly the same as the old exports I've got kicking around. That's actually one of the things I really like about Reason - backward compatibility is generally pretty fantastic (outside of the old Line6 amps, sadly!).

As for my album - sure thing! You can check it out here (and on Spotify/Apple Music/whatever) :)

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2020

kooshan wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Hi adam.
"Belief" is a powerful thing with audio, but in fact every version of reason passes audio 100% cleanly, no coloration (I've been a user since version 2.0).
I personally like V4 because among other things Thor - but it was also the first version I reviewed for Recording Magazine (previously helped write the ReCycle review for Electronic Musician in the mid 1990s, so it was like "coming home" to the Props!). I'm not so sure the sequencer changes were all around better IMO - they were just different, with some improvements and some neutral changes IIRC. Tempo/meter tracks were an improvements, not sure to this day how I feel about how clips are handled, and the graphical changes have probably aged better than I initially thought at the time (neutral).

But again, I still feel Thor is one of the time tested synths/tools in Reason, helping it stand out from the other DAWs to this day IMO. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information