STROBE 2 - $19.99! @ Guitar Center

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

I don't think you will find a lower price anywhere. Read the fine print - could be a US only thing.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ductDetail
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Despondo
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

Thanks for the heads up. My parents live in the US, but I live in Canada. I bought it with my US Paypal and shipped to their address. Seems like it is a boxed copy and not a download. Kind of odd in this day and age...

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

I've gotten a lot of boxed deals from Guitar Center in the past. Some were definitely too good to be true, but I guess it being boxed had something to do with it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Despondo
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

I'm just curious what comes in the box. Is it a serial number? I hope it is something my parents can communicate to me without having to mail it to me. I looked at ordering it and sending to Canada, but they charged shipping. US shipping is free.

UPDATE: It's just a card inside with the serial number. They snapped a photo and sent it to me. :-)
Last edited by Despondo on 18 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

04 Jun 2020

Strobe2 is awesome and even better with an MPE capable controller (which you have to use outside of Reason) :puf_unhappy:

Check out all of the "5D" patches.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

Besides the MPE, anything else that sets it apart?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

TheDragonborg

05 Jun 2020

Always looking for great deals on plugins... and this is a huge discount. Sucks that it doesn't have an instant key code... but it's worth waiting a few days for it to get here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Sweden: won’t go into my basket.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2020
GAS is haaaaaaaard, lol

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote:
05 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2020
GAS is haaaaaaaard, lol
Hahaha. Yep. I wasn’t actually going to buy it. Just wanted to test if it would work from Sverige. Waaaaay too many synths already and I don’t even like synths that much. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Boombastix wrote:
05 Jun 2020

GAS is haaaaaaaard, lol
Hahaha. Yep. I wasn’t actually going to buy it. Just wanted to test if it would work from Sverige. Waaaaay too many synths already and I don’t even like synths that much. :)
Did you grab Tubemodulator? Like it?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote:
05 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2020

Did you grab Tubemodulator? Like it?
Yeah. I did and I do. It’s about as vibey as it gets :). The auto-panner is great too. Totally worth a tenner.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2020

I can confirm it is a serial in the box. You just register at the website and download the installer (ignore the box instructions), follow the online instructions.

The feature set seems simple, but I think it whops Serums ass when it comes to factory presets, toooons of good stuff. The FX section is crazy, that's the feature of this one, even w/o a Roli.
Nothing I want to program, looks cumbersome and boring, but the sound and the presets makes it a killer. Surprised nobody really talks about it.

Looks like Musicians Friend has a few left for $20. It is a steal.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2020

Wow, I did not expect this, but Strobe 2 is really close to a SH-101 (and Roland analog in general). You can buy the remake hw for $390 or the VST for $170-ish, or this for 20 buck :shock: .

In the below examples, I don't know which is HW and which is Strobe2, the small difference can also just be how the patches were dialed in, but this is sooo close, just wow.
Hear for yourselves:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=318

TheDragonborg

17 Jun 2020

I have a feeling that I'm going to use this a lot...

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 Jun 2020

What type of copy protection does FXpansion use? If I have to install another third-party license management system, I'm not sure I need to add it to my collection of license managers, but if it's something lightweight, the GAS is really strong on this one.

TheDragonborg

17 Jun 2020

fieldframe wrote:
17 Jun 2020
What type of copy protection does FXpansion use? If I have to install another third-party license management system, I'm not sure I need to add it to my collection of license managers, but if it's something lightweight, the GAS is really strong on this one.
Just a key... no bullshit. You enter the key in the standalone Strobe 2 application.

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
17 Jun 2020
fieldframe wrote:
17 Jun 2020
Just a key... no bullshit. You enter the key in the standalone Strobe 2 application.
All right, just put my order in. 😀

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
17 Jun 2020
fieldframe wrote:
17 Jun 2020
So, uh, this is not really accurate. FXpansion does in fact have a separate license manager, and you have to create an account on their website, sign in to the license manager application, then activate Strobe 2 from there. Not a hassle by any means, but not quite as simple as entering a serial into a standalone application.

Anyway, here is the odd thing: If you follow the instructions and download the demo from here, then activate it through FX License Manager, you'll end up with an old version, 2.3. To get 2.5 (which has a much nicer UI), you have to go into your account, to Registered Products, and then choose "view all available downloads," where you'll see a link for the 2.5 installer.

TheDragonborg

25 Jun 2020

fieldframe wrote:
24 Jun 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
17 Jun 2020

So, uh, this is not really accurate. FXpansion does in fact have a separate license manager, and you have to create an account on their website, sign in to the license manager application, then activate Strobe 2 from there. Not a hassle by any means, but not quite as simple as entering a serial into a standalone application.

Anyway, here is the odd thing: If you follow the instructions and download the demo from here, then activate it through FX License Manager, you'll end up with an old version, 2.3. To get 2.5 (which has a much nicer UI), you have to go into your account, to Registered Products, and then choose "view all available downloads," where you'll see a link for the 2.5 installer.
I don't remember downloading any license manager... sure you activate it on their website but most plugins do that these days. Once you get the activated key you just then enter it into the standalone Strobe 2 application. Thanks for the info on the plugin version... I didn't even know that...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2020

For fun I used the Roland Cloud SH-101 vs Strobe2 for that favorite House Bass sound. It is hard to dial in the setting exactly, but this is very close, any sound diff may just be me not getting the filter envelopes exactly the same. By they way I have seen Rolands VSTi vs the original SH-101 and you could barely tell a difference.

And this is phenomenally the same, in a track it will be 99.9% the same. File attached. Playing 4 notes of each, alternating. :lol:
Attachments
SH-101 vs Strobe2.mp3
(304.21 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

• Information