Nektar Panorama T4. Please help. Falling apart here.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

IMPORTANT!!!: I was going to delete this post as I figured it might be a better idea to RTFM first. I can't delete it so I'll leave it and if anyone has any tips or words of encouragement then that would also be appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi...well I got my T4 installed as per the instructions. Then I start to get confused. The manual says...

"8. Close the Preferences menu and in Reason go to Options/Surface Locking
9. Select “Nektar Panorama T-Series Mixer” in the Surface field
10. Select “Master Section (Master Section)” in the Lock to device field and close the window. "

So I do that but if I then go back and open Options/Surface Locking then the deafaults show and not the new settings I've chosen.
How do I make sure those settings are saved?

Next thing I don't understand is this:

"Note: Because Reason’s Surface Locking settings are not global but individual per song, we recommend that you save your default song with the Surface Locking settings as described above. When you launch Reason again, to start a new song, you will then not have to set this setting every time. "

What do I do? Save an empty song and put it in the templates folder?

I would really appreciate it very much if anyone can help me out with this. Thanks.

EDIT: I saved a template song called NEKTAR in the templates folder so that loads as the default song with the settings applied.

Oh yeah...also...the velocity of the keys is pretty low. When I play say a Radical Piano or Kong as hard as I can I'm still not getting 100% velocity. Do I need to adjust the velocity curve for the keyboard?
Last edited by MrFigg on 13 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

12 Jun 2020

Save a template in the folder and set that as the default file to open as a new document in prefs.
I had velocity problems with my Keystep. I changed the velocity response in the device from linear to exponential. Fixed it for me. Maybe the Panorama has a similar setting.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Save a template in the folder and set that as the default file to open as a new document in prefs.
I had velocity problems with my Keystep. I changed the velocity response in the device from linear to exponential. Fixed it for me. Maybe the Panorama has a similar setting.
Thanks man. Yeah. I’ve gotten as far as the template default thing. I’m looking at this keyboard and seeing numbers and cc things and values on a little LCD screen which I have no idea about. I thought I’d just plug it in and that’d be that. Oh well. A new chapter in my musical education. It’s hard work when you actually do HAVE to RTFM hahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arqui

12 Jun 2020

Try this : Internal Mode > Setup > Global > Velocity Curve : there are six modes, try which one you like best
I hope I've helped you
regards
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

arqui wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Try this : Internal Mode > Setup > Global > Velocity Curve : there are six modes, try which one you like best
I hope I've helped you
regards
Many thanks. I'm still totally confused about this controller so if you or anybody else would be able to give me some help with the following questions I would be extremely grateful. I've mailed these same questions to Nektar Support but they're closed over the weekend and I'm anxious to make some music :) By the way...I have tried RTFM.

1. The pads are really quiet when playing a Kong so I'm guessing I need to go and change the velocity sensitivity to Hard 1 or 2 right? If I go to Global and then navigate to Kong when I get to the page I want is there any way to go back and forward in the menu. That is to say, return to the previous page I looked at. Do I need to go through the whole Global process again?

2. Is there any way to reset changes made to default without having to do a Factory Reset? I found the Panic button but am not sure if it's working properly. What exactly does it do? Is there any way for me to see whether it's actually doing anything?

3. Do I need to reinstall the Firmware update if I do a factory reset?

I would be so happy if anyone can help me out as the keyboard seems great.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

1reasonable

13 Jun 2020

Poohbear has a video on setting up the Nectar T series - worth a look!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

1reasonable wrote:
13 Jun 2020
Poohbear has a video on setting up the Nectar T series - worth a look!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
Thankyou. At the moment I’m willing to try anything. I’d like to know if there’s some way to reset the default settings to be honest cos I’m mucking a lot of stuff up twiddling knobs. For example I Changed the contrast in the display and even doing a factory reset didn’t put it back to normal. :(
I’ll watch the video. Thanks :)

Edit: the video was just how to install it. I’ve got that far and have it set up with Reason. It’s the internal menu on the keyboard itself I need help with :(
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Been thinking about it a bit more. Maybe I don’t need the internal menu. Maybe it’s just enough to adjust the velocity curve and leave it at that. Hmmm.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

1reasonable

13 Jun 2020

Hmm- I can certainly identify with that! Re: Your question about panic button- it’s there to “unstick” notes that keep playing on odd occasions when you may have stopped playing them either in the middle of it, or at the end. I found that his happened more frequently when using the sustain pedal - it keeps going!,,, In some circumstances, I’ve had to resort to deleting and re-creating certain instruments at times because of this. But this button will reset the stuck note(s) if and when they happen. Not completely foolproof, but useful as a first call!
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020
arqui wrote:
12 Jun 2020
I hope I've helped you
regards
Many thanks. I'm still totally confused about this controller so if you or anybody else would be able to give me some help with the following questions I would be extremely grateful. I've mailed these same questions to Nektar Support but they're closed over the weekend and I'm anxious to make some music :) By the way...I have tried RTFM.

1. The pads are really quiet when playing a Kong so I'm guessing I need to go and change the velocity sensitivity to Hard 1 or 2 right? If I go to Global and then navigate to Kong when I get to the page I want is there any way to go back and forward in the menu. That is to say, return to the previous page I looked at. Do I need to go through the whole Global process again?

2. Is there any way to reset changes made to default without having to do a Factory Reset? I found the Panic button but am not sure if it's working properly. What exactly does it do? Is there any way for me to see whether it's actually doing anything?

3. Do I need to reinstall the Firmware update if I do a factory reset?

I would be so happy if anyone can help me out as the keyboard seems great.

1) There are Keyboard and Pad velocity Curves that can be changed separately. Note Keys have Hard 1 + Hard 2 the Pads just have Hard (Linear, Soft, Standard, Hard, Fixed)
There is also Pad sensitivity (each pad can be changed independently).
Bit confused to what you are asking about the menu. If I'm in Global then hit the instrument mode I can now control say Kong, if I now what to go back to the global page I just Internal button and I'm back to Global page if I left it in that page.

2) You can manually change them back, Factory restore is for presets and maps, reinstalling the firmware should set the device right back to square one.
I see someone else answered about the panic button (A basic midi note off), to see if it's actually doing anything use something like Midi-ox to monitor the midi messages .

3) No you don't.

Don't forget to download our mapping file, over 2300 grab maps and lot of new full maps.

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Brilliant Carly. Thankyou!!!! You said I could ask away so here goes... :):):)

1. What velocities would you recommend if any. As I said in default state the pads triggering Kong are really quiet in the Bass drum for example. Is it best to adjust the velocity for each individual pad or globally? I think the Global option may be easier for me. Strangely enough if I play Grain using the keyboard the velocity in the sequencer track seems higher than when I play Rad Piano.

2. What I meant with the menus is if I go into a submenu for say Kong on the Internal display I don’t have any button the navigate back to the main Kong menu. Does that make sense?

B) I know I can change the values manually but was wondering if there was any way to make them revert to their default values other than doing a factory reset. Main reason being that I don’t know what values they had originally before I started turning knobs. :/

3. Thanks :):):):)

4. Does stuff like screen contrast get reset when doing a factory reset as I’m pretty sure it didn’t when I tried last.

And 5. What exactly are the mappings you’ve made for doing?

I think it may be best now that I just do a hard reset, fix the velocity curves for the keys and the pads and then leave the Internal button alone.

Thanks again man. Appreciate the help.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arqui

13 Jun 2020

Carly is the most expert of all here, when it comes to Nektar panorama. The explanatory videos on Youtube are amazing.

DaveyG

13 Jun 2020

I thought the Nektar stuff was just plug and play with Reason. Isn't that the whole selling point?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

arqui wrote:
13 Jun 2020
Carly is the most expert of all here, when it comes to Nektar panorama. The explanatory videos on Youtube are amazing.
Which one? I only saw the video for installing and setting Up. Have you a link? Thanks
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

1. What velocities would you recommend if any. As I said in default state the pads triggering Kong are really quiet in the Bass drum for example. Is it best to adjust the velocity for each individual pad or globally? I think the Global option may be easier for me. Strangely enough if I play Grain using the keyboard the velocity in the sequencer track seems higher than when I play Rad Piano.
This really does come down to how you play, I use to set it to hard when I was lazy (not wanting to hit it hard), now I use Delta (or the Midi compressor) players to do that.
You need to set it what gives you the best expression.
I would personally set the pads global curve to hard (as you are having issues) to start with, then on the sensitivity hold shift and change one down (shift should make them all change at the same time) but don't take them right down as you get bleeding from one pad to another (I have mine set to 30)
Ref Grain vs Rad Piano, there should be no difference however of course a lot of synths (not all) have a amp Vel (velo \ Velocity) setting. e.g. default patch on Grain has the vel set all the way down so it does not matter how hard you hit your keys (note the mod matrix could have modulation base on velocity).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.91 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020
2. What I meant with the menus is if I go into a submenu for say Kong on the Internal display I don’t have any button the navigate back to the main Kong menu. Does that make sense?
With a lot of Nektar mappings you hit the Instrument button again to get back to the start, with my maps there are navigation buttons to get you around.
(this is for the P series but I converted a number of the maps for the T series)

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

B) I know I can change the values manually but was wondering if there was any way to make them revert to their default values other than doing a factory reset. Main reason being that I don’t know what values they had originally before I started turning knobs. :/

4. Does stuff like screen contrast get reset when doing a factory reset as I’m pretty sure it didn’t when I tried last.
Factory reset does not reset everything, just user presets and maps, restore of firmware should reset all.
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

I think it may be best now that I just do a hard reset, fix the velocity curves for the keys and the pads and then leave the Internal button alone.
A lot, like full control of many RE's (and some VST's if I own them :) )
Grab stuff is good and handy.

Hope this helps for starters..

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

This really does come down to how you play, I use to set it to hard when I was lazy (not wanting to hit it hard), now I use Delta (or the Midi compressor) players to do that.
You need to set it what gives you the best expression.
I would personally set the pads global curve to hard (as you are having issues) to start with, then on the sensitivity hold shift and change one down (shift should make them all change at the same time) but don't take them right down as you get bleeding from one pad to another (I have mine set to 30)
Ref Grain vs Rad Piano, there should be no difference however of course a lot of synths (not all) have a amp Vel (velo \ Velocity) setting. e.g. default patch on Grain has the vel set all the way down so it does not matter how hard you hit your keys (note the mod matrix could have modulation base on velocity).
Capture.JPG
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020
With a lot of Nektar mappings you hit the Instrument button again to get back to the start, with my maps there are navigation buttons to get you around.
(this is for the P series but I converted a number of the maps for the T series)

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

Factory reset does not reset everything, just user presets and maps, restore of firmware should reset all.
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

A lot, like full control of many RE's (and some VST's if I own them :) )
Grab stuff is good and handy.

Hope this helps for starters..
Many thanks for taking the time Carly. I’ll try out what you’ve described and see how I get on. I’m really surprised that the pads are so quiet out of the box. Snare sounds ok but the bass drum and a few others are very quiet. I found a page in the menu by accident which showed the velocity when I hit the pads and unless I really bashed them they were nowhere near 100. What’s the difference between setting the velocity curve or just making the pads more sensitive? I should raise the velocity (hard) and then sink the sensitivity right? I think that’s what you meant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

I should raise the velocity (hard) and then sink the sensitivity right? Yes.

So the curve set to hard it will be harder to get softer velocity and easier to get higher ones, I do like the Linear mode however note as I stated before I do use players to add gain to them so I don't have to hit them so hard.

Sensitivity is how lightly you have to hit them for them to start registering. E.G if you were using all fingers (and thumb) to play the pads you may find your little finger is a lot weaker compared to your thumb or index finger etc. so you can set the pads you play with your little finger with a lower sensitivity etc.

The other setting I recommend setting is AT DLY (aftertouch delay) as the aftertouch is very light (extremely light compared the P series which it feels like you have to push the keys into the desk LOL), there was a bug setting it to 255, can't remember what it was now, was quite a major one which I let Nektar know about so I hope that is sorted however I run it at 254. I found when I very first started using it just playing it activated the aftertouch, the delay got around that for me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jun 2020

So the curve set to hard it will be harder to get softer velocity and easier to get higher ones, I do like the Linear mode however note as I stated before I do use players to add gain to them so I don't have to hit them so hard.

Sensitivity is how lightly you have to hit them for them to start registering. E.G if you were using all fingers (and thumb) to play the pads you may find your little finger is a lot weaker compared to your thumb or index finger etc. so you can set the pads you play with your little finger with a lower sensitivity etc.

The other setting I recommend setting is AT DLY (aftertouch delay) as the aftertouch is very light (extremely light compared the P series which it feels like you have to push the keys into the desk LOL), there was a bug setting it to 255, can't remember what it was now, was quite a major one which I let Nektar know about so I hope that is sorted however I run it at 254. I found when I very first started using it just playing it activated the aftertouch, the delay got around that for me.
Ok. Thanks man :). First thing tomorrow morning. I need the keyboard velocity a little higher. Does that get modified in the same place as the pads. I guess I should be able to find it myself :). Is hard the way to go there too do you reckon?
Anyway...thanks again. I’m probably going to have to ask you more stuff if that’s ok but I’ll give you a well earned break tonight. Cheers man :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arqui

15 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jun 2020

Ok. Thanks man :). First thing tomorrow morning. I need the keyboard velocity a little higher. Does that get modified in the same place as the pads. I guess I should be able to find it myself :). Is hard the way to go there too do you reckon?
Anyway...thanks again. I’m probably going to have to ask you more stuff if that’s ok but I’ll give you a well earned break tonight. Cheers man :).
When you are in Internal mode Press Pad Button, and with the knob, you change the parameters (at least, that's the P series)
Regards

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2020

arqui wrote:
15 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2020

When you are in Internal mode Press Pad Button, and with the knob, you change the parameters (at least, that's the P series)
Regards
Worked it out. All good. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdwardKiy

16 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
13 Jun 2020
I thought the Nektar stuff was just plug and play with Reason. Isn't that the whole selling point?
If you just plug-and-play it only has a couple of (very useful) features over the competition, like having correct fader mapping to the mixer or knobs mapping for all the built-in Reason devices. Which is big. I used it like that for a whole month.

But if you put (a little) time into setting it up with Carly's videos, it actually enhances your workflow with Reason and covers up some of it's weak sides. To me, the biggest game-changer (for now) was preset and patch browsing - I find myself doing it through my T6 exclusively, because you can browse patches AND hit some midi keys with your left hand while at the same time tweaking the patch with the knobs, which are situated comfortably under your right arm AND the browser focus will not change while you're doing it. So, 0 clicks with no need to re-focus the browser every time - seamless workflow. You can't do that in Reason without the Nektar controller.

Live-recording something while browsing patches becomes fluid. Here, just made this in 5 minutes:

• Information