Finally an upgrade to the Combinator!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Seckin

18 May 2020

This one is for those of you who have always wished the Combinator was made stronger! Good news, ladies and gentlemen, I'm telling you, it doesn't get stronger than this!

I present to you the Combinator MKII: Just load up an instance of the Reason Rack Plugin inside your Reason rack and that's it!

https://imgur.com/a/CtWWuhw

Endless combination powers at your feet! This device not only allows you to combine a device or two like the old Combinator, it actually allows you to do everything that can be done in Reason rack, right inside your Reason rack!

Oh and I'm telling you, we're not even done yet!

https://imgur.com/a/2yCKyCa

Yup, you heard it right! I told ya it doesn't stronger than this!

So I wish you all a happy combining.

P.S. Oh and by the way I have no idea if you can actually load up the RRP in Reason since I'm still on Reason 10 lol. If you're on 11 and try and find out that you can't, I urge you to apply to your Photoshop skills instead, like I did! Oh and another thing, you can't really create an instance of the RRP inside the RRP because it won't load VSTs. I just wanted to create an instance of Morpheus saying that Inception-esque line because it's so cool lol :mrgreen:
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Yonatan

18 May 2020

The day RS add VST3 support...

PhillipOrdonez

18 May 2020

Ok.

Josdams

11 Jun 2020

This would be fantastic !

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2020

Reason VST is VST3 and therefore won't load in Reason.

Plus it would be recursive and therefore potentially unwise to load a VST inside of itself. Can you load Fruity VST inside of Fruity?

I have been in favor of an updated Combi before; not so much now. I am not opposed just that I am not sure that it would change much for me as I don't use Combi as much anymore. It is great for Patch Design where you can contain things but seeing most of my recent work has been in music production (seeing ReFills barely sell) I do most of what I need just hanging the other devices under the main synth. Sometimes tho if layering several synths under one keypress instead of in the Arrangement where I have more power, a Combi is perfect.

:-)
Last edited by Benedict on 12 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

DaveyG

12 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Can you load Fruity VST inside of Fruity?
Yes, you can. Not that it makes any sense to do so.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Benedict wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Can you load Fruity VST inside of Fruity?
My thinking exactly.

A VST inside of the reason Rack VST I see but Rack inside of Rack is just too fractal for any sense that I could see.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

DaveyG

12 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
12 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
12 Jun 2020

My thinking exactly.

A VST inside of the reason Rack VST I see but Rack inside of Rack is just too fractal for any sense that I could see.

It's a good way to make a large monitor much smaller. :lol:

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
12 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
12 Jun 2020

My thinking exactly.

Let's say you have an effects chain that uses three combinators, how else can you save them a load them as a "preset" into any song?
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

Ok, maybe then. It is just not a thing I have thought to do. but then again, I use Reason proper.

Actually no, I have done that and had to amalgamate the Combis into one. A bit messy. Ok then, I stand coagulated.

Reason inside Reason inside Reason inside... Reasons all the way to the bottom.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Ok, maybe then. It is just not a thing I have thought to do. but then again, I use Reason proper.

Actually no, I have done that and had to amalgamate the Combis into one. A bit messy. Ok then, I stand coagulated.

Reason inside Reason inside Reason inside... Reasons all the way to the bottom.

My point is, folks including myself have complained about the lack of the ability to put Combinators inside Combinators forever. Let's say you have a synth with two FX that you want to "combine" to create the final instrument. If you're talking about any of those being built with a Combinator, you cannot do that. You also cannot put even TWO Combinators into a Channel Insert for the same reason - it breaks all the programming for one of the Combinators. Haven't you ever wanted more than one FX in an insert?

These aren't even complex requests, they're fairly simple. Now mind you I'm not suggesting the RPP solution is THE answer, I'm just saying it's something that's a limitation of Reason as it currently stands, and one excuse not to make synth and FX Combinators in the first place. My personal choice for the solution would be for a new Combinator that is not an outright replacement for the current Combinator, but one that could also include the existing Combinators and even Mix Channels so you can save and recall entire signal paths - but I'm getting ahead of myself… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

13 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
12 Jun 2020
. Now mind you I'm not suggesting the RPP solution is THE answer, I'm just saying it's something that's a limitation of Reason as it currently stands
At the moment the RRP is the solution.

Here is an example of insert FX on a single audio track in Studio One:

insert.png
insert.png (30.35 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
That's 4 instances of RRP, each of which would hold and number of combinators or any other fx. You can save that lot as an "FX Chain" and it's available in your presets list for use anywhere else, including in another FX chain. So you could drag another FX chain onto that diagram and it would add it to the signal flow. Then you can add a Macro control panel to the top which gives you 8 knobs, 8 buttons and 2 XY pads that can connect to any control in any of the FX. Actually, you can connect each knob to more than one thing so you can gang all your volumes together or just do some proper weird stuff. Not something I've found much use for TBH.

I don't know why we can't do a similar thing with combinators in Reason. Why can't I insert an FX Combi inside another one?

tallguy

21 Jun 2020

My idea for a SuperCombinator would be a Combinator that lets you drag and drop your own interface together. Asking to just double up the number of buttons or knobs shows a lack of imagination I think. Let's be more ambitious

bxbrkrz

21 Jun 2020

I understand the Art of Reason, recreating hardware virtually, faithfully, to an absurd level of details.
A Combinator, as a concept in the real hardware world, is pure Sorcery. It doesn't exist. Why create virtual limitations to it then?

We may have to wait for the next RS generation of devs to see: Combinator, Return To The Salvation Of The Dark Fate.

Tuu tuu tuu tu tummmm...
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

jam-s

21 Jun 2020

tallguy wrote:
21 Jun 2020
My idea for a SuperCombinator would be a Combinator that lets you drag and drop your own interface together. Asking to just double up the number of buttons or knobs shows a lack of imagination I think. Let's be more ambitious

I think, that kind of super combinator is called ... (wait for it) ... Reaktor? ;)

tallguy

21 Jun 2020

jam-s wrote:
21 Jun 2020
I think, that kind of super combinator is called ... (wait for it) ... Reaktor? ;)
Sure, it's not an original idea. I took the idea from Nuke compositing software.

scratchnsnifff

10 Jul 2020

Ableton handles this idea perfectly.
For each instrument rack (abletons combinator)

You get 8 assignable knobs

As far as I can tell you can route unlimited destinations

If not unlimited it’s damn close

Reasons combinator should have this feature of endless matrix slots per device

As well as a combinator with 8 knobs that you could switch between knobs buttons or faders

There would be modulation within the blue programmer are

MSEGs, velocity, a midi or audio triggered env and LFO ( any drawing mods would allow curves)

Also, why not have it even use an XY as a source

Rob papen that piece up

I just need more matrix slots per device synth or effect please

Please please lol it would make my life so much more fun! I could program perfect patches in Thor with madness and modulation between 4 knobs

8 slots for a Thor is just so tiny 😆
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

10 Jul 2020

Ableton handles this idea perfectly.
For each instrument rack (abletons combinator)

You get 8 assignable knobs

As far as I can tell you can route unlimited destinations

If not unlimited it’s damn close

Reasons combinator should have this feature of endless matrix slots per device

As well as a combinator with 8 knobs that you could switch between knobs buttons or faders

There would be modulation within the blue programmer are

MSEGs, velocity, a midi or audio triggered env and LFO ( any drawing mods would allow curves)

Also, why not have it even use an XY as a source

Rob papen that piece up

Please please lol it would make my life so much more fun! I could program perfect patches in Thor with madness and modulation between 4 knobs

8 slots for a Thor is just so tiny 😆

zoidkirb

11 Jul 2020

scratchnsnifff wrote:
10 Jul 2020

I almost always run out of matrix slots before I hit the rotary limitation.
4 rotaries+4 cv inputs controlled by something like ARCUS is generally workable for me.

8 rotaries, 8 buttons and twice the matrix seems like the minimum solution RS could implement.

scratchnsnifff

13 Jul 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
11 Jul 2020
scratchnsnifff wrote:
10 Jul 2020

I almost always run out of matrix slots before I hit the rotary limitation.
4 rotaries+4 cv inputs controlled by something like ARCUS is generally workable for me.

8 rotaries, 8 buttons and twice the matrix seems like the minimum solution RS could implement.

In a perfect world the combinator would scan the synth and see how many parameters there are and let you have at least that many mod slots

Even with the rack VST the combinator is still my most used tool

Would be cool though if they updated at least matrix slots and if they wanted to go bonkers

They would look at a mix between how snapheap Works and how ableton instrument racks (macro systems) work

But because ITs reason, they should have the addition of built in MSEGs, Velocity, and or an LFO just because

If they wanted to take it further they could add some of those weird modular world math modulators

Lol but at least have renamed rotaries translate to sequencer!!!!

So much potential it’s crazy, it’s so close to being perfect

Soooooooo close

mjxl

15 Jul 2020

ReasonCeption? :D

I know it's not Reason inside of Reason inside of Reason inside of Reason, but it's still a thing :P

Josdams

26 Sep 2021

I really hope this work on the upcoming vst3 update of reason 12 🤔

• Information