Filter Modules - 1st up RIVER Synths Marble [Video] Tilt, Mids, STEREO

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

21 Mar 2019

Bit the Bullet and grabbed Prism to give my first Qu-Bit a try.
I like their new architecture (workable HP, 2019 depth), and other aesthetics.

Out now (Perfect Circuit in stock)
- Stereo IN and OUT
- LP, BP and HP Filter with REZ - or bypass (changeable via CV) [DIGITAL - all DIGITAL... all GOOD!]
- FREEZE - yes - to Glitch...!
- some modified bit/samle reducer...
- DELAY w/TIME under CV
- COMBy

~$249
I don't see a dry wet, so I hope it's Clean....
]

O1B

21 Mar 2019

Prism by DivKid:

HOLY SHIT @1:27

Crumbfort

21 Mar 2019

Very cool, been interested in the Prism as well. Keen to hear your thoughts on it.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

O1B

25 Mar 2019

Stereo Dipole is in Stock! Mine in showing Shipped.
Ill know if I need two very soon. Then, Game ON! Wayne!

Slopes, Shelves, Troughs....Fixed or Moving... Hills or Valleys - all squared away..! In stereo!
Anyways... save some for the Fish, Selig.
selig wrote:
18 Mar 2019
And thanks for the head's up on calling ahead - didn't read the announcement thoroughly…

selig
RE Developer

25 Mar 2019

O1B wrote:Stereo Dipole is in Stock! Mine in showing Shipped.
Ill know if I need two very soon. Then, Game ON! Wayne!

Slopes, Shelves, Troughs....Fixed or Moving... Hills or Valleys - all squared away..! In stereo!
Anyways... save some for the Fish, Selig.
selig wrote:
18 Mar 2019
And thanks for the head's up on calling ahead - didn't read the announcement thoroughly…
Yea, heard they were in stock here at Control, will have to stop by this week to check it out.

In the mean time, I’m re-assessing my LFOs and Envelopes and returning to my first instinct to go with Batumi and Stages. Neither were in stock when I went shopping, and the Melekko options seemed decent at the time.

But one of my big reasons to get back into hardware was to avoid “hidden” controls, and the Melekko controls are just that.

I’ve also found I use the modular for either ambience/drones, or sequence/arps, so I only need an A/D envelope or in most cases just a decay stage - and Stages has six!

I also find I use tons of LFOs, getting complexity from stacking and combining them. Stages can be used as LFOs too, so win/win! I also find I really would like CV control for both envelopes and LFOs, and the Melekko lacks CV control using an automation system instead. While this is really cool, it’s not quite as useful to my way of working.

Finally, I’m just not happy with the shape of the envelops, and the inability (which I’ve read about) to have fine control over the attack stage often clicking unnecessarily.

So I’ll be doing a little horse trading while I’m there checking out the stereo dipole, much fun ahead!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

25 Mar 2019

Very true about the Malekko. I have the Variagate 4+. That's my hesitation with the Zadar... but, WOW!
Yes to lots and lots of LFOs (bi or unipolar!)

Learning my Maths... Grabbing a Function. ... when I want to 'work' for a Shape.

Check out the Modcan QUAD LFO (TAP)... Research that - as a Batumi replacement.
After RTM, the Modcan is pretty easy to remember.

There's also Cwejman's D-LFO. If ever you need sync'd LFOs, how many LFOs can vary the sync start time/interval?
Killer for programming two sounds that play off each other.
- I also recommend a PH-4. Offset and Level CV... are Priceless.
For me, without a scope, a generator needs attenuation for the nuances.
Batumi + Poti is the same Price as the Modcan and Cwejman.

Good Luck!

FYI, Intellijel's Dual ADSR is a Killer Killer sound generator to boot! Worth that alone. Plus the familiar faders.
- and Cycle on!
selig wrote:
25 Mar 2019
O1B wrote:Stereo Dipole is in Stock! Mine in showing Shipped.
... I’m re-assessing my LFOs and Envelopes and returning to my first instinct to go with Batumi and Stages. Neither were in stock when I went shopping, and the Melekko options seemed decent at the time.

But one of my big reasons to get back into hardware was to avoid “hidden” controls, and the Melekko controls are just that.

I’ve also found I use the modular for either ambience/drones, or sequence/arps, so I only need an A/D envelope or in most cases just a decay stage - and Stages has six!

I also find I use tons of LFOs, getting complexity from stacking and combining them. Stages can be used as LFOs too, so win/win! I also find I really would like CV control for both envelopes and LFOs, and the Melekko lacks CV control using an automation system instead. While this is really cool, it’s not quite as useful to my way of working.

Finally, I’m just not happy with the shape of the envelops, and the inability (which I’ve read about) to have fine control over the attack stage often clicking unnecessarily.

So I’ll be doing a little horse trading while I’m there checking out the stereo dipole, much fun ahead!

O1B

26 Mar 2019

[A/B] - Stages is a really nice module to Master. I haven't committed to any of their sound mods - yet - but,
- Shelves (I have 3 now), Stages, and

[C] TIDES V2 - looks KILLER!!
- Linear/Linear? Linear/Log? Log/Expo?
- Slope fine tunes the Duty Cycle.
- Smoothness is ... self explanatory.

POLYRHYTHMIC VARIATIONS

What sets this 2018 revision apart from its predecessor is the introduction of additional output modes, producing variations (shifted in amplitude, time, phase or frequency) of the main signal.

[D] - "So I’ll be doing a little horse tradin - "
"Welcome to the Party, Pal!"

**** Stereo Dipole shows delivery for TODAY!!! ****
selig wrote:
25 Mar 2019
[A]... I’m re-assessing my LFOs and Envelopes and returning to my first instinct to go with Batumi and Stages. Neither were in stock when I went shopping, and the Melekko options seemed decent at the time.

also find I use tons of LFOs, getting complexity from stacking and combining them. Stages can be used as LFOs too, so win/win! I also find I really would like CV control for both envelopes and LFOs, and the Melekko lacks CV control using an automation system instead. While this is really cool, it’s not quite as useful to my way of working.

[C] Finally, I’m just not happy with the shape of the envelops, and the inability (which I’ve read about) to have fine control over the attack stage often clicking unnecessarily.

[D] So I’ll be doing a little horse trading while I’m there checking out the stereo dipole, much fun ahead!

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2019

Thanks for the suggestions O1B, but all the LFO suggestions lack the simple controls I seeks: one rate control per LFO (plus CV control of each rate).

Also, I’m not even using the current ADSRs as ADSRs, so I really don’t need more ADSRs - I just need some A/Ds or A/Rs (or just Ds or Rs!!!).

If I go with Stages and Batumi (with the expander)
I can still fit one ADSR with full voltage control of each stage (and a few other cool features) to fill out the gap in the rackfrom Instruo (or Befaco).

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

26 Mar 2019

- one rate control per LFO
- A/Ds or A/Rs

How does Modern Quad LFO not satisfy that? It even has TAP per Delay?!

Ahhh! You want the impossible! That BIG Rate Knob AND CV per a LFO ... on one unit.

That's why I picked the Best SINGLE LFO i could... and bought three of them! I should've gotten 4.
Now, in 30HP, I have 3 - (40HP/4) - fully functional, independent yet, linkable, attenuver-shitable LFOs.
And - since it does have Level ONBOARD - it's so easy to tweak.
ImageImage

The Speed range of the PH-4 is wider than any LFO I know of - under CV. And, although it only has two waves, it can take over my Quad LFO or Maths for all the A/D(Rs) shapes that my anemic heart desires.

Note: I'd suggest checking if Batumi - while good at slow - can go over 500 Hz!? (vs 40kHz under CV) ....

Stages is the closest Ive seen to what you describe. RTFM is a must. And, it looks a bit tedious.
Psst! - You're still missing "attenu-vertion" of the LFO signal.

I’m not even using the current ADSRs as ADSRs
I didn't recall suggesting any ADSRs. Tides? Maths? Function? Stages? PH-4? Modcan? All A/Rs to me....

When you design your LFO/ENV solution, I'm interested!
selig wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Thanks for the suggestions O1B, but all the LFO suggestions lack the simple controls I seeks: one rate control per LFO (plus CV control of each rate).

Also, I’m not even using the current ADSRs as ADSRs, so I really don’t need more ADSRs - I just need some A/Ds or A/Rs (or just Ds or Rs!!!).

If I go with Stages and Batumi (with the expander)
I can still fit one ADSR with full voltage control of each stage (and a few other cool features) to fill out the gap in the rackfrom Instruo (or Befaco).

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2019

If I had more space, I’d do exactly what you did with your LFOs - great suggestion!

You mentioned Intellijel dual ADSR, which I like (as well as the Roland which gives an LFO too, but with shorter throw faders). But would probably end up getting individual ADSRs with full CV like I previously mentioned (and like you suggested for LFOs).

But oddly (for me) I don’t find I need ADSRs as much as I would have assumed. I guess that’s why it’s good advice to purchase slowly at first, and be prepared to do some trading as you fine tune your setup.

I’ll definitly expand to a second rack at some future point, if just to get into some FX like Magneto and Morphagene.

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

30 Mar 2019

You mentioned Intellijel dual ADSR
The problem is not individual ADSRs... the problem is Faders or Knobs.
I am assuming you have a better idea of where faders go - for 'desired a-ffect' ... and, may have decades of experience with ADSR control on Knobs - and their placement for that 'desired a-ffect'

But, so far, 4 faders lined up (stages, too) is hard to beat.
And, trust me... the Intellijel ADSR is one Brassy, Tubey, Bassy Oscillator. Wow!!
Few know this little secret. Under minimal reverb.... W. O. W. It sounds like a stable Peacock mixed w/ a..

FX like Magneto and Morphagene
- or Phonogene, Erbe-Verb, or Echophon, or ... (Check out Ereb-Verb for Percussion.... Performance...)

selig wrote:
26 Mar 2019
If I had more space, I’d do exactly what you did with your LFOs - great suggestion!

You mentioned Intellijel dual ADSR, which I like (as well as the Roland which gives an LFO too, but with shorter throw faders). But would probably end up getting individual ADSRs with full CV like I previously mentioned (and like you suggested for LFOs).

But oddly (for me) I don’t find I need ADSRs as much as I would have assumed. I guess that’s why it’s good advice to purchase slowly at first, and be prepared to do some trading as you fine tune your setup.

I’ll definitly expand to a second rack at some future point, if just to get into some FX like Magneto and Morphagene.

O1B

18 Apr 2019

Roland AIRA Torcido..... Distorted .... Niceness.

With the Torcido, you get to really 'Enhance/Heat' up your Sound.
Distortion.
Tone Control .. - best moved Counter-Clockwise in order to really hear/feel the introduction of the 'low end.'

The Torcido works well before the Scooper/Sampler of Choice... for 'one-stop' enhancement of any material.

That Low Boost Knob is a Kicker for sure. I swore the module would sound Digital. Nope. It's really 'clean' - but still sounds very electric.

- Stereo I/O,
- 9V standalone (950mA) - or, w/the included modular cable, put in the rack (450mA, fyi). better 9V.
- Full CV over all knobs.
- 24bit/96kHz audio interface
- iOS/OS access to Roland AIRA Customizer
- - Discontinued, but can be found in the wild...
https://www.roland.com/global/products/torcido/

O1B

02 Aug 2019

ADDAC 603 VC Triple Bandpass Filter : 3 bands summing mix plus Dry control with attenuverter

Features:
3 independent Bandpass filters each with:
Input gain up to x3 or x100 via a switch

VC Frequency with attenuverter
VC Bandwidth with attenuverter

6 or 12db (1 or 2 poles) Switch
Resonance

Individual output VC Amplifier with attenuverter
Phase output switch

O1B

30 Aug 2019

Noise Engineering Seca Ruina.... finally! Videos!

"Like a classic 3-band EQ, Seca Ruina has knob and CV control over low shelf, high shelf, and mid notch. However, instead of just changing the volume of each frequency band, it runs each through a separate drive circuit to give sounds completely new tones."

~$180

Multi Band Distortion
https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/seca-ruina

O1B

13 Oct 2019

Cwejman MMF-6. Growl.

Multi mode filter with six outputs.
First three from the left; "clean" low pass, band pass and high pass.
Second three are SOFT are HARD Saturation Circuits.

Very 303.
Dual Cutoff, Cwejman "Symmetry" - now on the Stereo Dipole - with all Controls CV-able.

O1B

13 Mar 2020

ADDAC offering... the Addac 604 Dual 12dB/oct Filter...

“While developing our 105 4 Voice Cluster module, we created brand new multi-mode filter designed to be placed after the summing mix stage,” explained ADDAC System founder André Gonçalves. “We were so pleased with its sound that we decided to release it as a dedicated filter.”

Pricing and Availability.
The ADDAC System 604 Dual Filter will be shipping in March at a price of €180 and also be available as a full DIY kit.

more info: http://www.addacsystem.com/en/products/ ... s/addac604

O1B

15 Apr 2020

WMD Aperture

Bought one. Sold it. Bought the F8R. Rebought the Aperture - 2, for Stereo.

- With CV, there is full control of the separate Cut-offs and Resonances (of the High and Low Pass Filters)
- Proper Gain
- The Feedback really Tightens the sound. Just a little it needed, but it always makes it the sound Better.

MS-20 Filtration, or Awesome Band Pass Filtering (Frequency vs Width).

O1B

30 Apr 2020

WMD SCLPL

It’s a 5-band digital EQ where you can use dual mono or stereo signals. Each frequency band is set independently with knobs for controlling level, Q and frequency with a little stack of LEDs indicating what’s going on. The bands include Low Shelf, 3 Mid-Range Peaking Bands and High-Shelf.
There are 9 user-presets (or 18 in dual mono) so you can store your settings.

- Low and High Frequency Shelving
- 9 user-programmable presets (18 in dual Mono)
- Low Noise Digital Audio Signal Path
- "Morphing" for unique filter sounds that you create!
- Mono, Dual Mono, and Stereo Functionality
- Bypass Switch for reference of wet vs dry
- Band Soloing for precision tuning.

O1B

23 May 2020

LR-4 Crossover by LA67

Features ...... VC over XO.... Nice.

• 24dB/oct filter slopes
• Fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley response curve
• 20hz-20khz range for both filters
• Individual CV inputs for both crossover points
• Inverting attenuators on CV inputs
• "L/M CV" input normalled to "M/H CV" input
• Exponential CV response

Nice price .... $135

O1B

09 Jun 2020

Mutable Instruments Ripples V2

Three filter modes are available: high-pass, band-pass, and low-pass. The slope (2 or 4 poles) of the band-pass and low-pass outputs is switchable.

:thumbs_up: Bonus :thumbs_up:
Unlike many classic 4-pole designs, this filter does not suffer from “loudness drop” when resonance is increased.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/ripples/

O1B

10 Aug 2020

WMD C4RBN

C4RBN (pronounced "Carbon") is a 4/2-Pole State Variable Filter with input saturation, output wavefolding, and more.

Highlights
- 3 independent 2 pole outputs for High Pass, Low Pass, and Bandpass
- Inverting Attenuator (attenuverter) for FM allows for positive and negative CV control over the cutoff frequency
- Independent 4 Pole output with switchable frequency response
- Input Saturation with 3 switchable levels and CV input for additional fine control
- PING circuit generates a fast decay envelope emulating the response of a vactrol
- Output wavefolder for extra bite and screaming character
- Resonance with self oscillation
- Temperature compensated 1V/Oct tracking.
- Performance focused control scheme allows for on-the-fly changes of filter types with intention

Specs:
Size: 4hp

O1B

06 Oct 2020

Ladik: E-251 Stereo Slider EQ

Stereo.... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
50 Hz
200 Hz
800 Hz
3200 Hz, and,
12800 Hz

~$81USD... Nice.
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=3056

O1B

01 Nov 2020

Behringer 305

Price is Right, Great F(x)ality, Convenient

Worth trying out... I'll report back :arrow:
Parametric EQ, Panning Mixer, Tone Generator, ~Multi
O1B-Behr-305-EQMixer-1.jpg
O1B-Behr-305-EQMixer-1.jpg (1011.95 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
Doesn't (but, just barely) fit in a Pod 60 (nice try, Behringer :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: )
- so Im forced to 'RackBrute 6U' or 'Mantis-UP' a full Working setup.
Finally! :puf_wink:

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2020

Shame that 305 doesn't have a stereo EQ to strap across the mix bus…
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

01 Nov 2020

EDIT: THE UNIT IS PERFECT. :puf_bigsmile:
I dunno.... 🤔 It seemed to need to ... warm up...! That - or, I'm a spazz.

But, EQing the Drumbrute (impact) - WOW! - SOLD!! NICE! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
BASS - YES! SUBstantial. Very, very surprising.
Treble - Crispy. Analog Crispy. I'd wish for bit more boost, but wow!
MID FREQ - Ample, MUSICAL (TUNED TOMS)
FYI: Detentes on initial EQ GAIN and Mixer PAN. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I ordered two more. Stereo PAIR(EQ) and a Spare MIXER - :puf_smile:
The AMP of the Headphone port is Proper.

Go! Behringer

:lightbulb: :lightbulb: :lightbulb: MI SHELVES is a better all around EQ/Filter :lightbulb: :lightbulb: :lightbulb:
The mixer and Tone Generator and stereo Out are nice touches for an EQ.

I CAN vouch for the
- 305 EQ/Miixer
- 140 Dual ADSR - works well with Maths, too :puf_bigsmile:
- 173 Quad Gate/Multi - Proper Utility - when you need it :puf_wink:

Left to try :
- 182 Sequencer - MINI 960
DUALS
- 130 VCA, 121 VCF, 112 VCO DUAL
or
- 110 VCO/VCF/VCA All-in-ONE

- 172 PHASE, and
- 150 S&H, Ring MOD

Happy HUNTING!
O1B-Behr-305-EQMixer-2.JPG
O1B-Behr-305-EQMixer-2.JPG (605.45 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
selig wrote:
01 Nov 2020
Shame that 305 doesn't have a stereo EQ to strap across the mix bus…

• Information