Reason 12 Wishlist

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
thenegus

18 May 2020

just one thing like FL studio we want ghost nooooooootes !!! and it's will be the best DAW forever !!!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

We have many lists for new features. Sometimes the small things matter a lot, those that works poorly, like when browsing patches and the there is a big volume difference then:
I reach for the fader on the MIX Channel above the synth, BUT I LOOSE BROWSER FOCUS when I do this. Why, the mixer channel won't open any patches? I can understand you loose browser focus if you click on another device with a browser button.

Would also be nice if patches actually can load fast, why does ReSpire take 4-5 sec, when Spire VST takes 0.2 sec?

Of course would be nice if they also fixed sequencer positioning and remove the "I'll put the cursor/window in a place that messes you up and definitely without logic and never where you were before" feature.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

guitfnky

18 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
18 May 2020
like when browsing patches and the there is a big volume difference
this drives me bonkers. the few times I browse patches, it’s either this one that’s way too quiet, or this one that’s way too loud. no, this one’s at a good volume, but it’s a terrible patch anyway—on to the next...

seriously, how hard is it to normalize the volume of your presets? :? :thumbs_down:

and don’t get me started on that undo window positioning garbage. how is that still a problem? 🤨
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

19 May 2020

vertical zoom to cursor...

djsmex

19 May 2020

add browser controls to the remote document scope. Like expand/collapse folders, current highlighted item, up-one-level, play/stop (preview), etc.

Yonatan

19 May 2020

Some form of Live arrangement function that integrates midi (players and sequencer) and audio (loops, samples and clips) with the live playing/jamming in focus, like in Ableton Live and now Logic, but in a Reason way of doing things offcourse! :) A mode that turns whole Reason into an live instrument where you can improvise and record the sessions. That would really turn Reason into the 2020´s. I would bet they must already have something like that in the workings, on d(r)aw board or further down the process.

SynthGang

24 May 2020

thenegus wrote:
18 May 2020
just one thing like FL studio we want ghost nooooooootes !!! and it's will be the best DAW forever !!!
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THISSSSS PLEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEE REASON STUDIOS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yonatan

24 May 2020

SynthGang wrote:
24 May 2020
thenegus wrote:
18 May 2020
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THISSSSS PLEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEE REASON STUDIOS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What differs FL Studio Ghost notes from what Reason already has, the ability to see other sequencer lanes greyed out. Is this Ghost notes in FL about seeing other sequencer tracks of choice greyed out?

simonphinix1986

26 May 2020

I wish they would add 10 new Sounds for NN19 and 10 new Sounds for NN-XT.

ltbrunt00

28 May 2020

1. Add a open instrument button on the mixer channel.
There are times where I don't need to be looking at the the rack window and all I want to do is open the instrument by itself from the mixer channel. This could probably only work for VST instruments since they hover independently in front off all other GUIs in the application.

2. Scoring & Mixing audio to video within Reason - This feature would allow me not to have to use other DAW software.

3. Notation editor - This would allow me to stay in Reason and not have to use other DAW software. Not expecting to see this feature, maybe some type of integration of other notation software to work within reason.

4. Mixer templates - Would be nice to be able to setup the SSL Mixer then save the setup as a template then import the mixer setup in other projects.

5. Not saying this to be mean but would be nice if the Piano roll window was more like Cubase or Studio one. Being able to easily drag a box around all notes in all clips would be speed things up a bit.

6. I want Reason to be the one stop shop for everything or close to it.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Yonatan

29 May 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
28 May 2020

4. Mixer templates - Would be nice to be able to setup the SSL Mixer then save the setup as a template then import the mixer setup in other projects.
Logic has something called Alternatives in a project, that allows to have several versions in same project without having to "save as" every time you want to do another version. I think that all these things that really makes producers work easier, amateur or pro, is so important.
Just the little add of Mp3 export, tiny as can be, is in similar direction. We all need to export many times along the way before we end up im the final export. So my biggest suggestion for RS, is to really try to think like a producer, a songwriter etc, and implement smart steps towards streamlining the workflow that way.
Gather info what producers and songwriters etc, really need for a more floating experience.

They are very good at the initial "have some fun playing around and experiment with blips and beats and random generators connected to whatever, see what happen enjoyment lab mentality".

But need a slightly bit extra of all those little things that makes a huge difference when playing phase goes over to be more about working out the production from A to B.
A balance between these 2 approaches brings the joy of the whole production higher, and so also the value of the product.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 May 2020

Yonatan wrote:
29 May 2020
ltbrunt00 wrote:
28 May 2020

Logic has something called Alternatives in a project, that allows to have several versions in same project without having to "save as" every time you want to do another version. I think that all these things that really makes producers work easier, amateur or pro, is so important.
Just the little add of Mp3 export, tiny as can be, is in similar direction. We all need to export many times along the way before we end up im the final export. So my biggest suggestion for RS, is to really try to think like a producer, a songwriter etc, and implement smart steps towards streamlining the workflow that way.
Gather info what producers and songwriters etc, really need for a more floating experience.

They are very good at the initial "have some fun playing around and experiment with blips and beats and random generators connected to whatever, see what happen enjoyment lab mentality".

But need a slightly bit extra of all those little things that makes a huge difference when playing phase goes over to be more about working out the production from A to B.
A balance between these 2 approaches brings the joy of the whole production higher, and so also the value of the product.
Agree 100%.
1. First you should be able to finish a track ideas. VST midi out and track freeze.
2. Then you should be able to work on the vocal part. ARA and VST3 support.
3. Then you should be able to finalize production and mixing. Mixer/song alternatives.
4. Hold off on further blippity blopp stuff and work on fixing the sequencer gross and midi) automation tool (mentioned many times before).

These priorities would be obvious if they engaged with modern workflow producers.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan

29 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
29 May 2020
Yonatan wrote:
29 May 2020

Agree 100%.
1. First you should be able to finish a track ideas. VST midi out and track freeze.
2. Then you should be able to work on the vocal part. ARA and VST3 support.
3. Then you should be able to finalize production and mixing. Mixer/song alternatives.
4. Hold off on further blippity blopp stuff and work on fixing the sequencer gross and midi) automation tool (mentioned many times before).

These priorities would be obvious if they engaged with modern workflow producers.
Good list there!

I think there are mainly 2 sides of Reason that needs to both be present to appeal to both.

From the beginning was... Reason, a sidekick fun geeky synth/sampler based lab often used as a partner to ProTools etc. More wider stuff were added and then came Record. That changed the course, appealing to many other users as well, like home songwriter/producer side.

Then united as Reason 6. Rest is history.

And now with both VST host and the Rack Plugin, it gives even more flexibility for different needs. But the Reason standalone needs some extra attention now.

Bobbyd93

07 Jun 2020

Reason Gold effects - Apply more parameters and control to the reason classics effects e.g. multiband scream, more comprehensive EQ control for RV7000, separate devices for sometimes unknown devices e.g. who would have thought “pulveriser” has a tremolo unless you’ve used Reason for years?

Dual L&R pan on SSL emulation

Delete individual sounds from a refill to keep folders personalised organised to your style of music as you would .WAV files.

Peak meter visual readings on individual channels and master.

Channel EQ and bus compressor need to be more advanced. Better Q control, more bands, linear phase options, visual spectrums.

Undo events history - see all events rather than just cntrl-z and try to pinpoint where you want to go back to.

Time stretch algorithms in Reason are terrible in comparison. Artefacts and glitches added when stretching audio even slightly.

Save/export “favourites” list in browser for people who swap PC or reinstall reason. I personally have spent a lot of time organising my compressors, reverbs etc into favourites and they are easily lost.

Probably mentioned before, auto save/save file only once audio files have been saved once. Who wants 6GB copies of different song versions with the same audio files?

Update Kong/Redrum to be more like Umph and more controllable with envelope shapers and transient designers (i know kong has one, but needs to be better). This isn’t the 90’s anymore...

NNXT update to be more like iZotope iris or other quality samplers.

Trim silence function for audio files. Saves time.

Reason is a sassy program, why does it look like it’s stuck in the 90’s? We all want more colours, vibrancy, a rack that has that wow factor every time you look at it.

Better randomise settings/presets for velocity, drum midi pattern ideas (genre specific)

Better genre specific song templates, mixing & mastering templates.
Reason user since V4. :adapted: :D

Mike B

07 Jun 2020

Bobbyd93 wrote:
07 Jun 2020
Reason Gold effects - Apply more parameters and control to the reason classics effects e.g. multiband scream, more comprehensive EQ control for RV7000, separate devices for sometimes unknown devices e.g. who would have thought “pulveriser” has a tremolo unless you’ve used Reason for years?

Delete individual sounds from a refill to keep folders personalised organised to your style of music as you would .WAV files.

Channel EQ and bus compressor need to be more advanced. Better Q control, more bands, linear phase options, visual spectrums.

Undo events history - see all events rather than just cntrl-z and try to pinpoint where you want to go back to.

Time stretch algorithms in Reason are terrible in comparison. Artefacts and glitches added when stretching audio even slightly.

Save/export “favourites” list in browser for people who swap PC or reinstall reason. I personally have spent a lot of time organising my compressors, reverbs etc into favourites and they are easily lost.

Probably mentioned before, auto save/save file only once audio files have been saved once. Who wants 6GB copies of different song versions with the same audio files?

Update Kong/Redrum to be more like Umph and more controllable with envelope shapers and transient designers (i know kong has one, but needs to be better). This isn’t the 90’s anymore...

Reason is a sassy program, why does it look like it’s stuck in the 90’s? We all want more colours, vibrancy, a rack that has that wow factor every time you look at it.

Better randomise settings/presets for velocity, drum midi pattern ideas (genre specific)

+ 1 , especially the true peak display it took me a while to realize the SSL mixer displays only RMS. We need more accurate readings.

guitfnky

07 Jun 2020

stop making me have to press K every single time I open Reason, in order to declutter the rack cabling. millions of copies will fly off the shelves. :lol:

(no, but seriously, fix that shit)

Creativemind

07 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
01 Oct 2019
after trying track folders for the first time ever in Cakewalk, that is a HUGE feature that I’d love to see in Reason. I’ve seen others request it, and always thought it was a good idea, conceptually, but after actually using it, I realize it’s a *great* idea.

it would also be cool if they allowed the option to automatically create the folder as a bus for the tracks inside.
Yes that's kind of how it works in Reaper. Create a folder for your drums (or a track in this case in the TCP (Track Control Panel or Inspector) called Drums and then add 4 tracks under it, Kick, Snare, Clap and Hat. Then you click an icon on your Drum track and everything underneath it (let's presume you only have the 4 drums for now) become child tracks and the Drums track is the Parent track or folder. There are tracks now in the mixer for all 5:- Drums, Kick, Snare, Clap, Hat and the Drums track is the bus track.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

07 Jun 2020

thenegus wrote:
18 May 2020
We have that, Multi-Lanes Editing.

Or did you mean, Aliased / Linked / Pooled Clips?
Attachments
Multi-Lanes Editing.PNG
Multi-Lanes Editing.PNG (368.94 KiB) Viewed 3505 times

guitfnky

07 Jun 2020

Creativemind wrote:
07 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
01 Oct 2019
after trying track folders for the first time ever in Cakewalk, that is a HUGE feature that I’d love to see in Reason. I’ve seen others request it, and always thought it was a good idea, conceptually, but after actually using it, I realize it’s a *great* idea.

it would also be cool if they allowed the option to automatically create the folder as a bus for the tracks inside.
Yes that's kind of how it works in Reaper. Create a folder for your drums (or a track in this case in the TCP (Track Control Panel or Inspector) called Drums and then add 4 tracks under it, Kick, Snare, Clap and Hat. Then you click an icon on your Drum track and everything underneath it (let's presume you only have the 4 drums for now) become child tracks and the Drums track is the Parent track or folder. There are tracks now in the mixer for all 5:- Drums, Kick, Snare, Clap, Hat and the Drums track is the bus track.
👍🏼 yeah, I think a few of the DAWs with track folders take a similar approach. I have Mixcraft now, and I’m pretty sure that’s how they handle it too. just makes sense.

Creativemind

07 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2020
Creativemind wrote:
07 Jun 2020

👍🏼 yeah, I think a few of the DAWs with track folders take a similar approach. I have Mixcraft now, and I’m pretty sure that’s how they handle it too. just makes sense.
Yeah it does. A lot of these things become more apparent of how useful once used. I'm now simply loving things like Midi Chase in Reaper and the Pooled Items (Linked / Aliased Clips.) Those 2 things along with track folders are probably in my top 5 wants for Reason.

chaosroyale

08 Jun 2020

Holy shit, it's like you can read my mind.
Yep, plus one to everything this guy said.

To add my six pennies-

Undo history and "versions" can be combined - so you only need one file and it contains all the "versions" you saved -and- the undo history (up to a reasonable limit). Obviously with an option not to do this for the 5 ppl who will complain.

I prefer more color options rather than just more colorful. I like to use monotones on most tracks, so I can easily identify busses or groups which I label with other colors.

Stuck in the 90s - yeah. Great device designs like Subtractor deserve a larger, less cramped, hi-def GUI - they don't even need to change the design. Remove that stupid "wood" effect from the Rack that just wastes space.

90's part 2 - Kong and NNXT. Yes, this times 1000. The "flagship" drum machine and sampler have been left to rot. It was embarrassing to see Umpf with features that should have been on Kong, on the "quick-n-easy" beginner's drum machine.

Meters - they should stop with the pointlessly conservative use of big blocky fake LEDs, and make vizualizer options that can show a precise floating line for the short-term peak and moving color bars for realtime RMS -and vice versa. Hell, they could even keep an option for the fake LEDS, for users who wish they were still using Reason 2.5

Only point of disagreement - Timestretch. Sometimes I think Reason's timestretch sounds very good, and for example, sometimes Live's stretch sounds bad. Very content-dependent. Obviously, an even better timestretch would be welcome.

Bobbyd93 wrote:
07 Jun 2020

Tiny Montgomery

08 Jun 2020

Expand the piano roll vertically.

ab459

08 Jun 2020

As always would be good support for VST MIDI plugins in Reason

Next for PluginRack only:
- Allow to use VST inside (vst hosting module)
- Add multitimbrality (MIDI channel select)

About classical devices, except improve for NNXT (for me it's capture of many parameters of advanced section), would be cool to do the same for Matrix seq - just allow to add his parameters to combinator, like Run\Steps\Resolution. Also add different playback modes (random\pendulum etc).

Creativemind

13 Jun 2020

Bobbyd93 wrote:
07 Jun 2020
Multiband Scream?

Yes, maybe (if they update the browser to allow searching of devices within projects) they could throw in, if searching tremolo patches, Pulveriser comes up so it's tagged by Reason Studios, then hopefully it would spur on the user to think, hmmm, why has Pulveriser come up here, better check that out..hey presto!

w1pl0c

17 Jun 2020

Heeeelp can you have reason accept momentary midi pads??? im dying. This mpd26 has momentary pads that work like toggle pads and toggle pads that i have to PRESS 4 times to fully cycle thru on and off. Im getting stumped, and this should be easier.

• Information