New alpha reason plugin midi out

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
guitfnky

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019

wait, you’re using a second DAW simultaneously just to get MIDI out of that VST, into the loopback, and then back into Reason? that’s a useless workaround. you’re using two separate sets of unsynchronized transport controls?

interesting from a technical standpoint, but from a practical standpoint, pointless.
My bad man, i totally misunderstood what you guys were talkiing about. I thought since this thread is about the midiout in reason plugin, i thought the original poster wanted to trigger reason plugin from another vst in the DAW(not standalone reason), then it became more confusing....i thought you wanted to trigger reason standalone from another vst in another daw....oops...
ah, gotcha, no worries. I probably could have made it more clear. appreciate the attempt, though!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

13 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019

You can use virtual midi ports, like loop midi.
Send midi out from cthulhu to a virtual midi port.
Create a midi keyboard in controllers using the virtual midi port. Now you have out from cthulhu into reason.
I use a mac so i have a program called midi pipe running between my midi keyboard and reason using a virtual midi cable, i use it to alter my midi data i send to reason. For example i can transpose the notes i play on my keyboard.

Fyi, midi pipe lets you create as many virtual ports, and its free

(This has nothing to do with reason midi out device, this is about routing midi from the plugin into reason)
Sure, but that’s a clunky workaround that is a pain in the ass and not nearly as functional as proper support. We’ve been able to use VST’s in Reason since the Record days using MIDI and audio loopback. It was never an enjoyable approach, though.
Well since 7 or 7 point something when they added the External Midi Instrument.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Well thats a different thing, they should add support for midi vsts in reason standalone. In plug-in, you can already send midi from another vst to reason plugin.
Is Midi Out for VST's something that VST 3 does or is it something that has to be implemented separately and nothing to do with VST 3?

guitfnky

13 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Well thats a different thing, they should add support for midi vsts in reason standalone. In plug-in, you can already send midi from another vst to reason plugin.
Is Midi Out for VST's something that VST 3 does or is it something that has to be implemented separately and nothing to do with VST 3?
it’s separate from VST3.

Creativemind

13 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019

it’s separate from VST3.
Ahhh ok. Had a hunch it was but just checking.

EnochLight

13 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Well since 7 or 7 point something when they added the External Midi Instrument.
Oh yeah right - I think it was 7. It's been so long!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fabrizcaidyn

15 Dec 2019

I use a mac so i have a program called midi pipe running between my midi keyboard and reason using a virtual midi cable, i use it to alter my midi data i send to reason. For example i can transpose the notes i play on my keyboard.

BradfordMoeller

15 Dec 2019

Yay!! I'm probably just 1-2 updates away from upgrading from R10 now haha
:reason:)))

groggy1

15 Dec 2019

I get that reason rack is getting midi out, so that players can be used to control other synths in the daw outside the rack.

But I don’t get whether as part of this update I can finally use Cthulhu vst within reason standalone. Does anyone know?

If they release both of these features together, it would be a really nice gesture to the reason community after all the reason 11 complaints for those that primarily use standalone daw.

On the other hand, if the only feature in this update is for reason rack, what a d*** move (sorry for my language)

zoidkirb

15 Dec 2019

groggy1 wrote:
15 Dec 2019
I get that reason rack is getting midi out, so that players can be used to control other synths in the daw outside the rack.

But I don’t get whether as part of this update I can finally use Cthulhu vst within reason standalone. Does anyone know?

If they release both of these features together, it would be a really nice gesture to the reason community after all the reason 11 complaints for those that primarily use standalone daw.

On the other hand, if the only feature in this update is for reason rack, what a d*** move (sorry for my language)
This is just midi out of the rack vst, at this stage. If you want to use cthulu you will need to midi-loopback or another similar third party solution.

guitfnky

15 Dec 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
15 Dec 2019
groggy1 wrote:
15 Dec 2019

This is just midi out of the rack vst, at this stage. If you want to use cthulu you will need to midi-loopback or another similar third party solution.
it’s already been established (in this thread) that that isn’t possible, at least not in any practical fashion.

zoidkirb

15 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
15 Dec 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
15 Dec 2019

it’s already been established (in this thread) that that isn’t possible, at least not in any practical fashion.

It seems possible according to this. Hard work though.
Might be lot easier to simply run your cthulu , scaler, cpt chords etc in Reaper and then Rewire into Reason 10.
I know thats not what people want to hear, honestly i just don''t see props rushing to implement midi out of VSTs as I imagine the Players are one of the best sellers in the store and they won''t want to jeopardise that.

guitfnky

16 Dec 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
15 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
15 Dec 2019

Might be lot easier to simply run your cthulu , scaler, cpt chords etc in Reaper and then Rewire into Reason 10.
I know thats not what people want to hear, honestly i just don''t see props rushing to implement midi out of VSTs as I imagine the Players are one of the best sellers in the store and they won''t want to jeopardise that.
ah, I misunderstood (sort of). this isn’t using Cthulhu VST, though, as the other poster requested. this is Cthulhu standalone. they want to be able to use the VST plugin (not standalone) in the Reason DAW (standalone). looping back is only possible if whatever VST we’re talking about also has a standalone app.

as for it not being a high priority for them, that may be the case, but I hope you’re wrong. if they only do MIDI out of the Reason VST, and not in Reason itself, they’re effectively nudging those of us who want to be able to use certain tools to use other DAWs instead of Reason. that would deal another blow to many users’ confidence that RS are going to continue focusing on the DAW side of Reason. and I don’t think they’d be jeopardizing much—at least no more than they jeopardized Rack Extensions by allowing VSTs in Reason in the first place.

zoidkirb

16 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
15 Dec 2019

ah, I misunderstood (sort of). this isn’t using Cthulhu VST, though, as the other poster requested. this is Cthulhu standalone. they want to be able to use the VST plugin (not standalone) in the Reason DAW (standalone). looping back is only possible if whatever VST we’re talking about also has a standalone app.

as for it not being a high priority for them, that may be the case, but I hope you’re wrong. if they only do MIDI out of the Reason VST, and not in Reason itself, they’re effectively nudging those of us who want to be able to use certain tools to use other DAWs instead of Reason. that would deal another blow to many users’ confidence that RS are going to continue focusing on the DAW side of Reason. and I don’t think they’d be jeopardizing much—at least no more than they jeopardized Rack Extensions by allowing VSTs in Reason in the first place.
yes looks like i misunderstood a little also. it's kinda confusing when talking about midi in and out of reason , the rack, the vst etc.
i actually dont use cthulu so i've never needed to try that anyway as i really like the players i have in reason.
but, anyway, rewire will definitely let you send whatever midi you want from another daw. i've been rewiring cubase into reason and recording cubase's chord track 'player' onto tracks in reason and it's pretty straight forward.
obviously a pretty frustrating situation given rewire being abandoned in 11, and there being no clear path forward for rack vst midi in...

guitfnky

16 Dec 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
16 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
16 Dec 2019

yes looks like i misunderstood a little also. it's kinda confusing when talking about midi in and out of reason , the rack, the vst etc.
i actually dont use cthulu so i've never needed to try that anyway as i really like the players i have in reason.
but, anyway, rewire will definitely let you send whatever midi you want from another daw. i've been rewiring cubase into reason and recording cubase's chord track 'player' onto tracks in reason and it's pretty straight forward.
obviously a pretty frustrating situation given rewire being abandoned in 11, and there being no clear path forward for rack vst midi in...
ha, you’re not kidding about it getting confusing keeping track of VSTs vs. Reason, etc. especially now that Reason is simultaneously a DAW and not a DAW (Schroedinger’s DAW?). 😂

VOIDMONIKER

23 Feb 2020

zumBeispiel wrote:
13 Dec 2019
I would like having VST MIDI OUT in Reason standalone, no loopmidi apps, no other DAWs, no Reason rack plugin, no clunky pita workarounds, just please a simple VST MIDI OUT in Reason.
Yes I have Remidi and I love the concept of manipulating my piles and piles of old midi data. But alas all this to end with no VST midi out in the standalone??? :essentials: . Kind of really disappointed in that. It appears that Propeller-heads studio is doesn't want to have the responsibility of making their software work with everyone else's VSTs so they are trying to just become a VST and drop the standalone. But here is the thing.. I love the standalone. And I have invested a ridiculous amount of money into it. So am I off base here or does this seem a likely scenario? Will it be solved or will I have a choice to pay 150 to upgrade to the next one with no midi fix or 350 toi upgrade with a midi fix? Which I am also annoyed with. I planned on updating to the next version and then paying the difference when I have a little extra cash. BUt no. The upgrade is full price even after you upgrade to 11. Seemed a little "extra" to me. But with that I am sure if I asked the company they would help work out a deal for me. They are after all great guys.. I'd just like to know where this is going. I have a serious amount of cash wrapped up in this company.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2020

VOIDMONIKER wrote:
23 Feb 2020
zumBeispiel wrote:
13 Dec 2019
I would like having VST MIDI OUT in Reason standalone, no loopmidi apps, no other DAWs, no Reason rack plugin, no clunky pita workarounds, just please a simple VST MIDI OUT in Reason.
But alas all this to end with no VST midi out in the standalone??? :essentials: . Kind of really disappointed in that. It appears that Propeller-heads studio is doesn't want to have the responsibility of making their software work with everyone else's VSTs so they are trying to just become a VST and drop the standalone. But here is the thing.. I love the standalone.
I agree with both of you. I bought Reason 9.5/10 as my first version, because it said you can use ALL your VSTs, so that would include midi out VSTs too. But that was false advertising, so yes some disappointment there for sure. There are several midi out VSTs that have no equivalent Player, and never will have. Of course I want to use them the effectively in Reason. The lack of VSTs midi out is one of the major reasons I can see myself leave Reason for, the other is track freeze.
But it is RS business decision, how much they want to keep their user base and how much they want to sell...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Ok...their focus is clear for this version...you made me a sad panda bear...a sad panda bear...
Very clear!

Ultimately this will bring more users and they will make more money.

Then, actual Reason DAW users will benefit in the future :thumbs_up: (hopefully)

VOIDMONIKER

27 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
23 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Ok...their focus is clear for this version...you made me a sad panda bear...a sad panda bear...
Very clear!

Then, actual Reason DAW users will benefit in the future :thumbs_up: (hopefully)
Hopefully more money means more R@D and leads to more exciting releases. Overall I am 99 % satisfied with the company. I am def a Reason head! :reason:

DJMaytag

28 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
23 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Very clear!

Exactly. What everyone seems to forget is that ReWire is now a dead technology, so people that prefer another DAW will abandon Reason entirely without focusing on getting RRP up to snuff. Not that I'm going back to Cubase anytime soon, but without RRP being a suitable replacement for ReWiring Reason into Cubase to work/rework on some old projects, those old projects would be as useful as my old Rebirth .rbs files have been for a few years.

People using Reason in Ableton and buying Reason updates and RE's to use in RRP are going to be a decent addition to ReasonStudios income stream. Companies do need income to stay afloat, dontcha know? ;)

I'm getting closer and closer to upgrading from 10.4 to 11, once all the little bugs and improvements have been sorted out. VST MIDI out capabilities would make R11 an insta-upgrade for me.

manmade

04 Jun 2020

Hello DJ Maytag & all! I still haven't figure out how to get this working in live, I've been searching for a tutorial on doing this in Ableton, does anyone know of any online tutorials on this and on using scale & chords in the reason rack with ableton and soft synths?
sonicbyte wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Just see this

Aquila

04 Jun 2020

manmade wrote:
04 Jun 2020
Hello DJ Maytag & all! I still haven't figure out how to get this working in live, I've been searching for a tutorial on doing this in Ableton, does anyone know of any online tutorials on this and on using scale & chords in the reason rack with ableton and soft synths?
Does this help?

VIVIsect

04 Jun 2020

manmade wrote:
04 Jun 2020
does anyone know of any online tutorials on this and on using scale & chords in the reason rack with ableton and soft synths?
1. Create two MIDI tracks.
2. Place your VST instrument in one MIDI track.
3. Place Reason Rack Plugin in other MIDI track.
4. In the MIDI track with your VST instrument, set "MIDI from" to Reason Rack. Set "Input Channel" to Reason Rack. Set "Monitor" to IN. Like so:

5. Load up Scales and Chords in the Rack plugin and you're done.

manmade

04 Jun 2020

/Thanks you! I think I figure out why it's not working, as I'm still on Ableton Live 9I have to use AU as live 9 doesn't support vst3 or am I missing something? Or is there a workaround?

• Information