Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

03 Jun 2020

Yonatan wrote:
03 Jun 2020
But I think that RS needs to become clearer in what is doing what.
For instance, on first web page it says "Plug in Reason".
And on main shop page, it says "Reason 11 - now supports VST3/AU/AAX"

It can be confusing if that is Reason DAW.
Can you post a link and screenshot of where it says "Reason 11 - now supports VST3/AU/AAX"? I only see that in clear reference to the Reason Rack Plugin, not the DAW.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

For a sec there I thought I could finally use Halion in Reason. Even you might think this could be slightly misleading.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/

r11.png
r11.png (143.08 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

03 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
03 Jun 2020
For a sec there I thought I could finally use Halion in Reason. Even you might think this could be slightly misleading.

r11.png
Yeah that's fucked up. That landing page clearly could suggest the standalone DAW supports VST3 hosting, which certainly isn't the case.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
03 Jun 2020

r11.png
I don't see that either like EnochLight..

Are you browsing on a Phone?

either way what you have posted I totally agree is misleading..

This is what I see and this is quite clear...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (126.22 KiB) Viewed 3199 times

guitfnky

03 Jun 2020

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jun 2020
Yonatan wrote:
03 Jun 2020

It can be confusing if that is Reason DAW.
Can you post a link and screenshot of where it says "Reason 11 - now supports VST3/AU/AAX"? I only see that in clear reference to the Reason Rack Plugin, not the DAW.
you may have to log out, if you stay logged into the RS site. I just tried the link and it didn't look like the screenshot until I logged out.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020
EnochLight wrote:
03 Jun 2020

you may have to log out, if you stay logged into the RS site. I just tried the link and it didn't look like the screenshot until I logged out.
Right - I'm on my desktop, not logged in.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

03 Jun 2020

That’s the ticket - I was logged in to my account while viewing that.

Yonatan

04 Jun 2020

Yes, in my case, I did scroll my mobile phone. Good if RS makes an edit so that it do not get anyone thinking all those formats are supported by R11 standalone. I would hope that changes soon, that we get VST3 support (and even AU2).

jlgrimes

04 Jun 2020

Yonatan wrote:
03 Jun 2020
It is nice that Reason 11 means you also get a Rack Plugin together with standalone DAW.

It can be confusing if that is Reason DAW. We know it isnt and that it is only the Rack Plugin.

For a fresh eye, it wont be obvious what is what.

Even on this forum, confusion sets in quite often about midi out support etc. As well as on facebook comments.
I feel though the Plug-in should still be a host of VSTs to better integrate them in the Players, (Combinators, Reason's own internal effects) and what not. Plenty of other VST hosts are able to do this (Komplete, Maschine, Akai VIP).

DaveyG

04 Jun 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
04 Jun 2020
Yonatan wrote:
03 Jun 2020
It is nice that Reason 11 means you also get a Rack Plugin together with standalone DAW.

It can be confusing if that is Reason DAW. We know it isnt and that it is only the Rack Plugin.

Even on this forum, confusion sets in quite often about midi out support etc. As well as on facebook comments.
I feel though the Plug-in should still be a host of VSTs to better integrate them in the Players, (Combinators, Reason's own internal effects) and what not. Plenty of other VST hosts are able to do this (Komplete, Maschine, Akai VIP).
Yeah, the plugin definitely needs to host VSTs but I can't see it happening any day soon.

I also think if the players were available as individual VSTs they would sell like hotcakes, especially if the price was pitched at the Scaler and Cthulhu price point. But I can't see that happening either. Anyone remember that Del Amitri hit from the late 80's? It could be the RS theme tune. :lol:

miscend

11 Aug 2020

hurricane wrote:
03 Jun 2020

r11.png
I use Halion with Reason 10.

Jackjackdaw

11 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
11 Aug 2020
hurricane wrote:
03 Jun 2020

r11.png
The sampler doesn't work though does it?

Last Alternative

12 Aug 2020

This thread was made in Feb. Any news on R12 ETA? I'm hopeful it'll get me back as a customer because..... well I won't get into that rn.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Creativemind

13 Aug 2020

Yonatan wrote:
03 Jun 2020

Yeah that VST 3 thing is misleading.

I think it was a good marketing strategy to release the Rack as a plug-in because that means people who are long time Reason users will upgrade in the future more than likely but then once things are added to the rack that other daw users may want then they will need to upgrade - to upgrade the RRP to get the new thing. Clever. So tapping into 2 markets.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
11 Aug 2020
hurricane wrote:
03 Jun 2020

r11.png
Yes YOU can, Windows user:
EFC3BB62-415C-46B8-B8EF-AE988C1DCCB4.jpeg
EFC3BB62-415C-46B8-B8EF-AE988C1DCCB4.jpeg (63.23 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

13 Aug 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Aug 2020
miscend wrote:
11 Aug 2020

Yes YOU can, Windows user:

EFC3BB62-415C-46B8-B8EF-AE988C1DCCB4.jpeg
Ok that's very strange, supporting VST2 on Windows but not on Macs. I know it's not ideal but have you tried DDMF Metaplugin, I use it to bridge VST3 plugins into Reason?
Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Aug 2020

The sampler doesn't work though does it?
Does it not work? Only just got Halion since its on sale, I will have to look into it. I have other stuff that's much more immediate for sampling though.

Jackjackdaw

13 Aug 2020

I think the sampler is designed to get its signal from the side chain input and that is a Vst3 thing. I guess it works differently than VST2 that accept audio because the audio inputs on the back of the device in Reason don't work.

Tbh Halion is a bit redundant in Reason. The sound design scope of the Rack and Re.s blows it away.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Aug 2020
Tbh Halion is a bit redundant in Reason. The sound design scope of the Rack and Re.s blows it away.
As far as the sound design scope - sure you can get crazy cabling all sorts of mediocre things together in Reason, but Halion has higher quality raw samples, and the synth engines and effects are also better than Reason's factory synths and effects and most of the REs. Halion does Wavetable and Granular, you can create combinators with macros, it comes with higher quality sampled instruments like their Raven Grand and Studio Strings, and if you really wanna go crazy you can create some of your own instruments with scripting.

Halo's instruments were "created in cooperation with the team behind Yamaha’s MOTIF workstations", and in my opinion, Halion's overall sound quality WINS, which is most important to me, and why I wish I could use it inside Reason - mostly because Reason lacks high quality romper-style instruments (that's also taking into account REs). And if you want to think of it as a rompler, then that's just barely scratching the surface, and it's like calling Omnisphere a "rompler", however, you can use it solely as a Yamaha Motif and purely play it, and when you do you'll realize how great everything sounds in comparison to Reason and its entire collection of REs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Jackjackdaw

13 Aug 2020

Im not a fan of any of Halion's presets myself or its built in fx, or its granular engine orrr it's arpegiagor. :lol: I only like the sampler and wave table editor. I'm glad they float your boat though, we probably make different styles of music. I found my happy place with Arturia V and fx collections (especially the fx)+ players inside combinators.

If you like the Rompler sound you should definitely check out the Roland Zenology thing. That sounds incredible and you get a decent number of patches in the free version. Also VST3 though :-/

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Aug 2020
If you like the Rompler sound you should definitely check out the Roland Zenology thing. That sounds incredible and you get a decent number of patches in the free version. Also VST3 though :-/
Yeah, Zenology is nice. Luckily I can use that and Halion in every other DAW except REASON. :|
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

zoidkirb

13 Aug 2020

Halion has time stretch for its sampler module, a pretty major feature for a sampler that NNXT will likely never have.
There's plenty of other worthy features but that's a big one.

• Information