Political Music in 2020 ?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

Is there a shortage of political songs in this generation ?

Would a forum such as this attempt to moderate anyone's political songs ?

Like, maybe I would like to create a track in recognition of the greatest leader in the western world. In my opinion, of course.

Who becomes the arbiter of such musical/political music, and it's distribution within communities ?

Did Rage Against the Machine ask such questions ?

Did Afrika Bambaataa ?

>

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

Loque

02 Jun 2020

Its not against the rules per sé:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911
Reason12, Win10

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Its not against the rules per sé:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911
haha yes, per sé

As I read in the forum rules before posting this thread:

The following guidelines apply:

14. Leave politics and religion out of the main forums. If you must touch these subjects go to the kitchen.

Anyway, rules are being adhered to. I do think that 'political music' has died, for the most part, in mainstream music. Maybe some people can educate me to the contrary.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2020

Even though I find the topic of politics very interesting, I hate mixing politics with music. I would NEVER ruin my art with that ideological crap.
For me Rage against the machine was a great band in spite of being political, not because they were political. I'm sure other people will hold total opposite views. That's fine.

WarStar

02 Jun 2020

By and large political songs are kinda corny. Aside for a small few like Rage, public enemy, some rap which is more one off singles. Denzel Curry comes to mind.. Kendrick Lamar as well..

joeyluck

02 Jun 2020

It's also confusing sometimes what views people consider to be politics. Many people and businesses right now are showing support against racial injustice. For instance, Roli posted, "We stand in solidarity against racism and injustice #blacklivesmatter" and there are some people complaining that they should "keep politics off of their page" :? It's like if they posted, "We support research to find a vaccine for covid-19" and somebody saying, "keep the politics off of your page."

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Even though I find the topic of politics very interesting, I hate mixing politics with music. I would NEVER ruin my art with that ideological crap.
For me Rage against the machine was a great band in spite of being political, not because they were political. I'm sure other people will hold total opposite views. That's fine.
Oh absolutely. But there is a rich history of other artists having a passionate message from their heart, expressed in song. For some musicians, perhaps their finest moments were the discourses on ideological crap.

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jun 2020
It's also confusing sometimes what views people consider to be politics. Many people and businesses right now are showing support against racial injustice. For instance, Roli posted, "We stand in solidarity against racism and injustice #blacklivesmatter" and there are some people complaining that they should "keep politics off of their page" :? It's like if they posted, "We support research to find a vaccine for covid-19" and somebody saying, "keep the politics off of your page."
Whoa, Ok you have touched close-to-home, and it was something I thought we might have to skirt around. But since you're a moderator, I'm happy to take your post as an acceptable level of conversation.

How about current-day music, as a narrative on the circumstances that led to the protests/riots/looting......

If I were to write a song from the position of a looter, would that be acceptable ?

Or how about from the position of a protester ?

Or maybe the position of the President, who has tweeted several comments on shooting people, in order to bring 'peace' back to the country ?

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

WarStar wrote:
02 Jun 2020
By and large political songs are kinda corny. Aside for a small few like Rage, public enemy, some rap which is more one off singles. Denzel Curry comes to mind.. Kendrick Lamar as well..
I wonder if this is acceptable in 2020 ?

>

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

Is Ice-T's metal/punk band 'Body Count' a political song ?

I'm a cop killer, better you than me.
Cop killer, fuck police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your family's grieving,
(fuck 'em!)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even, ha ha.

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

A nod to the GREAT Richie Havens

>

Proboscis

02 Jun 2020

Me & 'The Don' jamming today...

>
The germ has gotten so brilliant
I'm a very stable genius
The germ has gotten so brilliant
I'm a very stable genius
I'm a very stable genius
As you know...

It's coming in from Russia
Germany's coming along, and we still have to...
figure out what's going on
With the Pipeline

Because the Pipeline
Is coming in from Russia

And to a large extent,
They're the same countries...

Very consistent...

I'm a very stable genius
As you know...

Meeting with President Putin on Monday

(ft. Weijia Jiang)

NDKay

02 Jun 2020

U guys know hopsin ?

His texts are REALLY great ! And typically im not in hip hop or rap

the first is my fav from him

- and last but not least for the fun

This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

guitfnky

02 Jun 2020

personally, I'd disagree that great political music is great in spite of the politics--the intensity of belief in a cause or message is often what makes a piece of music feel so immediate and gives it a sense of import. Rage wouldn't have been as interesting if they hadn't been playing the f#%$ out of their music, and that includes Zack's blatant anger at the systems he was rapping about.

maybe you don't agree with the message, and that's perfectly fine, but without the message to fuel it, the fire in the music wouldn't burn as bright.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

02 Jun 2020

and I wish there was more good political music coming out these days. Childish Gambino's This is America seems like the only really standout political message in mainstream music in the last 10 or 15 years.

the album I'm working on now is very political. oddly enough, it started out as a concept album about a space opera sci-fi novel I'm working on, but I realized I wasn't conveying the feelings I wanted to with that story, and decided to redo most of the songs. I decided to make the concept about the last few years' political and environmental upheaval. here's one of the songs that will be on it (which I put out as a single piece a couple of years ago):

I do try to keep the politics less obvious though--it's largely metaphorical, but I imagine with a moment of consideration it's not difficult to figure out what it's about.

NDKay

02 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Even though I find the topic of politics very interesting,
... everyone should (cuz "normally" thats how democracy works.. excuse me, i mean could work !(?) :ugeek: :)
TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I hate mixing politics with music. I would NEVER ruin my art with that ideological crap.
i think it depends on how good its been translatet. (... just thinkin of bob marley and him btw "inventing" Reggae music ;-) :mrgreen: )

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jun 2020
:-)

NDKay

02 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jun 2020
and I wish there was more good political music coming out these days. Childish Gambino's This is America seems like the only really standout political message in mainstream music in the last 10 or 15 years.
This is America - is really Art, imho

i think one point political music doesnt get that popularity is that many people hear music ( and also make music) to "get away" from the real problems of the world ( from whatever source u think of ) , even if its just for some time. Ironically some genres were "build by politics" and subgenres again driftet away.

I would also like if more political music was getting heard by the mainstream, but from my pov the "mainstream" does not want that :puf_wink:
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jun 2020
the album I'm working on now is very political. oddly enough, it started out as a concept album about a space opera sci-fi novel I'm working on, but I realized I wasn't conveying the feelings I wanted to with that story, and decided to redo most of the songs. I decided to make the concept about the last few years' political and environmental upheaval. here's one of the songs that will be on it (which I put out as a single piece a couple of years ago):

I do try to keep the politics less obvious though--it's largely metaphorical, but I imagine with a moment of consideration it's not difficult to figure out what it's about.
your song sounds like a good track for a tarantino post apocalyptic western movie :)

guitfnky

02 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
02 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jun 2020
This is America - is really Art, imho

i think one point political music doesnt get that popularity is that many people hear music ( and also make music) to "get away" from the real problems of the world ( from whatever source u think of ) , even if its just for some time. Ironically some genres were "build by politics" and subgenres again driftet away.

I would also like if more political music was getting heard by the mainstream, but from my pov the "mainstream" does not want that :puf_wink:
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jun 2020

your song sounds like a good track for a tarantino post apocalyptic western movie :)
ha, thanks, that’s a heck of an endorsement! :)

and yes, This is America is an incredible work of art. I remember I couldn’t keep my jaw hinged shut the first few times I watched the video. great example of how a piece of music wouldn’t have nearly the same impact if it had been apolitical.

and I agree, the mainstream isn’t interested in political music anymore. since probably around the time of the backlash against Dixie Chicks for their opposition to G. W. Bush, I think a lot of artists have been afraid to include anything political in their music. it lets people assume their musical heroes agree with them in all things, because an illusion is more comfortable. like people thought Taylor Swift was probably very conservative politically, until she actually started to speak up. it’s a shame.

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2020

Politics & music have always gone hand in hand whether intended or not.

To me the bands that become too one-eyed about their political agenda, it becomes less pleasing to listen to. Sometimes I have to let my dislike for their personal opinions subside before I can see the art for what it is.

If you do political music I think understand who you are really appealing to. And if you are looking for a discussion that could lead to a change then see the bigger picture too so that you can be open enough to make your song about the human since instead of only the ranting ideology side (tempting as it may be esp to the "choir").

Public Enemy "Fight The Power" is still a powerful political statement and yet able to be open enough to cross over. NWA I couldn't really get into as they seemed too far into preaching to the choir. Yet BodyCount I have always liked. I think their new material is really a breath of fresh air and reminding Rap what it should be.

There were political acts in Oz too and while I didn't agree with their Sociaism, their songs stay with me as powerful work because they have a wider story than only rhetoric

Similarly we can say there is a political component to Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" as it is about working people struggling to find meaning. But it is delivered in such a braosd & human way that we tend not to see it that way.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

NDKay

03 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Politics & music have always gone hand in hand whether intended or not.

To me the bands that become too one-eyed about their political agenda, it becomes less pleasing to listen to. Sometimes I have to let my dislike for their personal opinions subside before I can see the art for what it is.

If you do political music I think understand who you are really appealing to. And if you are looking for a discussion that could lead to a change then see the bigger picture too so that you can be open enough to make your song about the human since instead of only the ranting ideology side (tempting as it may be esp to the "choir").

Public Enemy "Fight The Power" is still a powerful political statement and yet able to be open enough to cross over. NWA I couldn't really get into as they seemed too far into preaching to the choir. Yet BodyCount I have always liked. I think their new material is really a breath of fresh air and reminding Rap what it should be.

There were political acts in Oz too and while I didn't agree with their Sociaism, their songs stay with me as powerful work because they have a wider story than only rhetoric

Similarly we can say there is a political component to Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" as it is about working people struggling to find meaning. But it is delivered in such a braosd & human way that we tend not to see it that way.
While reading this post the Black Eyed Peas came to my mind (esp. cuz of the " become too one-eyed about their political agenda" part)

Thinkin about how big they had been in the mainstream for some years, you could maybe say people become "less" interested because "where is the change" ? Its kind of the same problems they are talking about again and again but its changing "only the colour of the turd in the sandwich". :cry:

jam-s

03 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I think this one came out in <s>the last 10 years</s>2006 and was pretty mainstream:

Besides, imho punk is the genre that has a political attitude at its core and roots and thus quite a large percentage of political songs are punk songs. But then there's also quite a lot of political singer songwriter stuff out there. Also, in general I agree that the 70s and 80s were much more political (also with respect to music).

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

I Love Keith. I'll love him forever. Everyone of the crew. They were beyond politic. No-one has replaced them for the power they emitted. Breathe with me.

Proboscis

04 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Hey Hey, Midnight Oil. Good to see the name drop. Long before those hits of the beds are burning era, there were some very powerful tracks, like late '70's and early '80s.

>

• Information