Any ideas or requests for a new RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

26 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
26 May 2020
challism wrote:
26 May 2020
I'd love to see a good emulation of the uni-vibe effects pedal like Jimi Hendrix used. There are some nice tries but most of them miss the mark, I think. I'm unaware of any that actually came close.
Have you tried Audiority Tube Modulator or Amplitube's Univibe?
No I haven't. I'll give them a try. Thanks. It would be nice to have one as an RE.

@Murf, what about a physical modeling synth like Resonans, but with more physical models? There are only 3 in Resonans. I'm not sure if Robotic Bean are finished adding more models to Resonans or not, but we could use a physical modeling synth with more models. Seems to be an overlooked niche.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Murf
RE Developer

27 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 May 2020

@Murf, what about a physical modeling synth like Resonans, but with more physical models? There are only 3 in Resonans. I'm not sure if Robotic Bean are finished adding more models to Resonans or not, but we could use a physical modeling synth with more models. Seems to be an overlooked niche.
Once i have mastered Circuit Modelling I will have a try at physical :)

aeox
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

Well, there is still no shadow hills mastering compressor in RE format :D

Futz

27 May 2020

Casio FZ-1 series is not well known, but was an important instrument in eighties Hip-hop and Dance.

Had a one of a kind analogue filter chip from Mitsubishi. Can distort in a very nice way.
It has its own synth waveforms, did sampling and additive.
Envelopes are like the CZ - lots of stages and you can do a series of loops.

First instrument with a LCD.
You can even draw your own waveforms. Must have been pretty space age at the time.

First implementation of a 5 inch floppy drive (its Achilles heel. Drive bands wear out and the unit is not replaceable)
Was the poor mans Fairlight in the day.

Sounds pretty damn good too.

Neo

27 May 2020

robotgard wrote:
26 May 2020
Neo wrote:
26 May 2020
Advanced Step Sequencer
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2 ... -sequencer
has already. even more advanced.
Cheers robotgard
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Murf
RE Developer

31 May 2020

Hi All,
After many great suggestions and a lot of research I have come to the stark realisation that the actual modelling of electrical components with DSP beyond simple components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors is way beyond the scope of a one man hobby shop like myself. After hearing that Arturia have their own modelling engine specifically developed for this reason to be able to do accurate models of the old Moogs and other synths of yesteryear I have decided that for the time being at least, this sort of RE is beyond the resources I have to put into it.

That said, I am still happy to delve into hard core digital DSP algorithms to make a new RE, and I have come up with an idea that I want to float to make sure that firstly it would be welcome, and secondly that no one else has already done it.

I want to make a distortion effect RE that allows you to select from a number of characteristic curves that the input will be passed through, (for example the classic f(x) = 2/pi * atan(x)) and also maybe even a "draw your own curve" concept as well.I would like to take advantage of the ability to select different panels within the RE (similar to the Thor oscillator modules panels etc) to give it the flexibility of differing modular stages (filters, chorus, delay, reverb as well maybe?), so it could end up being a reasonably complex distortion RE.

Would anyone be interested in this? If so I will start mocking up a UI and post it here to get an idea on what direction people would like this thing to go.
Murf

Loque

31 May 2020

Forgotton Waveshaper, Trash2 and a few others directly came into my mind. Except i missed something, we are pretty saturated :-)
Reason12, Win10

Murf
RE Developer

31 May 2020

Loque wrote:
31 May 2020
Forgotton Waveshaper, Trash2 and a few others directly came into my mind. Except i missed something, we are pretty saturated :-)
So hard to have an original idea :(
I see Trash2 is a VST, and I don't much like the look of Forgotten Waveshaper 2, I think there is some scope for something different here.
Murf

Zac

31 May 2020

The thing I want most is something like this
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... le-drywet/
or this developed further to account for the latency of each inserted device and report the required compensation in a dynamic way.

I really want a way to have something like this on a buss that I can switch on and off at certain times in a song to add fx that are compensated for both when punched in and out.

Just out of interest I bought Waveshaper 2 yesterday and it's great.

DaveyG

31 May 2020

Murf wrote:
31 May 2020
Hi All,
After many great suggestions and a lot of research I have come to the stark realisation that the actual modelling of electrical components with DSP beyond simple components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors is way beyond the scope of a one man hobby shop like myself. After hearing that Arturia have their own modelling engine specifically developed for this reason to be able to do accurate models of the old Moogs and other synths of yesteryear I have decided that for the time being at least, this sort of RE is beyond the resources I have to put into it.
Despite what you read in the sales blurb I don't think anyone is actually modelling every component in anything but the simplest circuit. They model the functional blocks and add the "character" of that block and of the key components within that block: diode noise, hum, non-linearities, oscillator drift etc. The trick is to model enough of the imperfections to make it sound like the original without using up too much precious CPU power.

It's true that there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to VST and RE effects but that should not stop you trying! People are still buying yet another reverb and yet another distortion. So take your distortion idea and make something and see where it ends up. You can gain plaudits from a portion of the ReasonTalk crowd just by adding a million CV inputs and outputs to something.

Murf
RE Developer

31 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
31 May 2020
You can gain plaudits from a portion of the ReasonTalk crowd just by adding a million CV inputs and outputs to something.
Haha so true....

Murf
RE Developer

31 May 2020

I think I will stop suggesting to myself in my own forum request thread and just start coding!
Last edited by Murf on 31 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

mjxl

31 May 2020

Anything from Infected Mushroom's arsenal ! :P

Gatekeeper:

I Wish:

Manipulator:

Pusher:

robotgard

31 May 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

31 May 2020

mjxl wrote:
31 May 2020
While those stuff can be achieved with other devices, i like how easy it is. The devices create an effect on its own based on other effects. Not a revolution, but cool stuff. Just heavy overpriced.

But in general i like the idea of creating ready-to-use-fx-chains with some tweaks, especially if they are easy and still versitile and efficient in time and CPU consumption. I have some pretty cool devices, but it requires a lot of trial and error to get something cool that blows me away. Pitch and frequency shifting are highly underrated fx IMO. Just get me some kind of additional tuned output and i am sold. Same for resonating, RM and FM outputs...
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

31 May 2020

I'd still like to see a semi-modular/modular synth with the knobs mirrored on the back side using the ABL3 trick.

jam-s

31 May 2020

Maybe some kind of auto-riser RE like that "Endless Smile" VST:

That could fill a hole in the RE market at least.

Edit: Some inspiration how it could be done:

Loque

31 May 2020

Just realized that a lot of sounds i like came from a Roland V-Synth...it has some features i did not have seen in many VSTs. I just had a bought a synth which is able to FM 2 samples or FM with a VCO, but lacks good formant shifting/filters or a damn vocoder...Nevertheless got to experiment withi it...But a really good sounding formant filter with a bit more control and wide feature range would be awsome. I have a few, but still not satisfied and Thors formant filter sound okayish......
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 May 2020

Here are two ideas:
Roland VariPhrase vp-9000.
Yamaha FS1R

Sure, pretty high level. But considering how many free VSTs there are, and great paid instruments covering most bases, I think it has to stand out a little a provide something less common/available, but usable.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

31 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
31 May 2020
Here are two ideas:
Roland VariPhrase vp-9000.
Yamaha FS1R

Sure, pretty high level. But considering how many free VSTs there are, and great paid instruments covering most bases, I think it has to stand out a little a provide something less common/available, but usable.
Didnt knew theese devices and just checked them out. You have my attention now...Yea, something special would be really cool. Please not the 10000th delay, eq, distortion, reverb thing. Add something to it...create something new or unique...And remember: I may not use it for thing you invented to use for (TB-303 is one of the best examples for that IMO).
Reason12, Win10

Murf
RE Developer

31 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
31 May 2020
I'd still like to see a semi-modular/modular synth with the knobs mirrored on the back side using the ABL3 trick.
I did this with my MODRACK series with the CV trims, I was surprised Reason even approved it.
I did get some strange feedback from people about it.
It was the least I could do since I was not going to code a Complex-1 style front panel patching system :)
Murf.

joeyluck

31 May 2020

Murf wrote:
31 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
31 May 2020
I did this with my MODRACK series with the CV trims, I was surprised Reason even approved it.
I did get some strange feedback from people about it.
It was the least I could do since I was not going to code a Complex-1 style front panel patching system :)
Murf.
Yes like that, but the opposite :) Imagine a modular synth where you can play with cables and all the knobs from the back panel. The back panel could mirror the front and not look like a back panel.

pushedbutton

31 May 2020

I want Singstar® in RE form.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ModSource

31 May 2020

I would love to have a broken flanger RE. I've read about how turning the feedback knob all the way up on a Boss BF flanger pedal with too much force can cause more feedback than the factory setting. One of my favorite guitar players, Robin Guthrie, uses this to great effect. He wrote this about the song A Kissed Out Red Floatboat on the Cocteau Twins' Blue Bell Knoll album.

"The sweep sound which crops up now and again is my broken (and I will never get it fixed) Boss BF-2 Flanger (broken as it goes into a very destructive oscillation if you wind the feedback up all the way - I have a couple of others which don't)."

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

I think someone might have mentioned Mutable Instruments ports previously, but I think Mutable’s Plaits module (Macro Oscillator 2 in VCV Rack) would be a great candidate.

Actually, what could be really interesting is a full synth (polyphonic?) built out of Plaits and an envelope generator like Tides (or even just a basic EG). I also see a design opportunity here to make the lovely, but admittedly obscure Plaits panel UI into something a little easier for newcomers.

• Information