Introducing the ReasonTalk Supersaw Collection ReFill!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
joeyluck

30 May 2020

Happy Supersaw Saturday! Introducing the ReasonTalk Supersaw Collection! A ReFill created by the ReasonTalk community.

A very special thanks to hurricane who contributed a great number of outstanding patches, samples, and the Combinator backdrops and to WongoTheSane for helping put this together, test, fix, and categorize patches to make the ReFill cohesive and a pleasure to browse! Also a big thanks to eXode for the many incredible patches and a bonus RV7000 patch! And of course, thank you to everyone who participated and submitted all the great patches! :)

Patches are organized by device. You can also browse patches easily by designer or type, simply by searching for the initials listed below (e.g. “HC” for hurricane’s patches or “LD” for lead type patches).

This ReFill includes 82 instrument patches!

Patches by:
DT - Dopetank
EX - eXode
HC - hurricane
JL - Joey Luck
LQ - Loque
RS - Rikk Show
SP - splitpen
WtS - WongoTheSane
WH - wowhow

Types of supersaw patches:
AR - Arp
BA - Bass
CH - Chord
FX - FX
KY - Keys
LD - Lead
PD - Pad
PL - Pluck
SQ - Sequenced

Includes patches for:
Built-in Instruments
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Malström
  • Monotone
  • NN-XT
  • Subtractor
  • Thor
Rack Extensions
  • Antidote
  • ES01
  • Ivoks
  • kHs One
  • Little LFO
  • Megasaur
  • MonoPoly
  • Nostromo
  • Parsec
  • Polysix
  • Predator
VST
  • Hive
  • ZebraCM

We are considering this version 1.0, meaning you can still submit patches for future updates. If you didn’t have the opportunity this time, or some of your patches need to be fixed to fit the rules, they could make it into the next update. Browse some patches and be inspired to make your own. Consider if some devices could use more attention and more patches. And more importantly—have fun making music with this ReFill! Let us know what you think!

Download the ReFill!

Loque

30 May 2020

I like that :thumbs_up:

Just a bit surprised, that my Europa patch didnt made it in :? I liked it :-)
Last edited by Loque on 30 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Baylo

30 May 2020

Great stuff. I look forward to downloading this later.

Huge thanks to the community here and the mods for pulling this together. This place is a lovely bright spot in the world at the moment.

moneykube

30 May 2020

wow... thanks !!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

Oh wow, this got big! Thanks!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

eusti

30 May 2020

Thank you!!! :)

D.

WongoTheSane

30 May 2020

...and thanks to Joey who'd rather put forward his helpers when he was the heart, soul and architect of the whole project. And thanks to the contributors, the level is stellar.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

Thanks. Looking forward to it and I don’t even know what a supersaw is :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

This wouldn't have happened without Joey, so thanks man, it turned out great! 👍🏼
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Heigen5

30 May 2020

Thanks Joey & everyone and I hope some of my patches find a place in your music. Downloading now!

bxbrkrz

30 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2020
Happy Supersaw Saturday! Introducing the ReasonTalk Supersaw Collection! A ReFill created by the ReasonTalk community.

A very special thanks to hurricane who contributed a great number of outstanding patches, samples, and the Combinator backdrops and to WongoTheSane for helping put this together, test, fix, and categorize patches to make the ReFill cohesive and a pleasure to browse! Also a big thanks to eXode for the many incredible patches and a bonus RV7000 patch! And of course, thank you to everyone who participated and submitted all the great patches! :)

Patches are organized by device. You can also browse patches easily by designer or type, simply by searching for the initials listed below (e.g. “HC” for hurricane’s patches or “LD” for lead type patches).

This ReFill includes 82 instrument patches!

Patches by:
DT - Dopetank
EX - eXode
HC - hurricane
JL - Joey Luck
LQ - Loque
RS - Rikk Show
SP - splitpen
WtS - WongoTheSane
WH - wowhow

Types of supersaw patches:
AR- Arp
BA - Bass
CH - Chord
FX - FX
KY - Keys
LD - Lead
PD - Pad
PL - Pluck
SQ - Sequenced

Includes patches for:
Built-in Instruments
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Malström
  • Monotone
  • NN-XT
  • Subtractor
  • Thor
Rack Extensions
  • Antidote
  • ES01
  • Ivoks
  • kHs One
  • Little LFO
  • Megasaur
  • MonoPoly
  • Nostromo
  • Parsec
  • Polysix
  • Predator
VST
  • Hive
  • ZebraCM

We are considering this version 1.0, meaning you can still submit patches for future updates. If you didn’t have the opportunity this time, or some of your patches need to be fixed to fit the rules, they could make it into the next update. Browse some patches and be inspired to make your own. Consider if some devices could use more attention and more patches. And more importantly—have fun making music with this ReFill! Let us know what you think!

Download the ReFill!
A bit of that Oasis, Reasontalk, in my collection. Thank you! :puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

I like how eXode found a workaround to make Thor stereo by simple bypassing the internal routing and route audio via the matrix. Funny though how they omitted a pan for the oscillators in the design...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

rgdaniel

30 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
30 May 2020
Me neither. I just figured it's a regular saw that was bitten by a radioactive spider and now has powers.

DaveyG

31 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
30 May 2020
I'm glad you said that. I know some of the sounds that get categorised as supersaw but I would not know where the boundary line is drawn.

Anyway, free synth patches are always gonna be super!

Thank you.

WongoTheSane

31 May 2020

Supersaws are more or less the sound that defines Dance Anthems: several sawtooths superimposed, each slightly detuned by a LFO, which makes them constantly moving, creating peaks and troughs in the spectrum (but very fast). The result is a very wide, very rich sawtooth sound. Once you hear it, you'll recognize it.

joeyluck

31 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
31 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
30 May 2020
I'm glad you said that. I know some of the sounds that get categorised as supersaw but I would not know where the boundary line is drawn.

Thank you.
The "supersaw" originates from the JP-8000/8080. The supersaw oscillator resembles the sound of 7 detuned sawtooth oscillators.

Here are a couple in-depth studies: The Roland "supersaw" has a specific detuning curve and a particular sound. There is certainly an association when hearing any stack of detuned saws. For the sake of this community ReFill, we considered this to be an inspired by library and we included patches considered to strongly share characteristics of the supersaw—we didn't nitpick too much over detuning curves and number of saws, but we looked for those particular supersaw characteristics. After all, it can be regarded as one of the more difficult to accurately emulate. That said, there are many impressive patches included in this ReFill that sound just like the JP-8000 supersaw to our ears :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 May 2020

Got it. Recognise the Supersaw sound.
Got to say...was just flipping through the patches. Antidote folder. Hurricane. Heavenly Strings combi. Maaaaaaaan!!!!! Loooooove it :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 May 2020
Got to say...was just flipping through the patches. Antidote folder. Hurricane. Heavenly Strings combi. Maaaaaaaan!!!!! Loooooove it :).
I know, right?? LOL

And all you need is one Antidote (the eq is there to tame it a little but not necessary).
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
31 May 2020
I know, right?? LOL

And all you need is one Antidote (the eq is there to tame it a little but not necessary).
Had to put a compressor on it when using it with the Mod Wheel cos it got pretty loud. Guess that was meant?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2020
hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2020

I know, right?? LOL

Had to put a compressor on it when using it with the Mod Wheel cos it got pretty loud. Guess that was meant?
Yeah, there's more energy when the filter is open. I tried to keep it from the red though.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2020

Yeah, there's more energy when the filter is open. I tried to keep it from the red though.
Still love it. Something about it transports me back to the late 80s/ early 90s when everyone was smiling and you could see the universe in a daisy...or a scrumpled up bit of tinfoil...or even the weave in your jeans hahaha. Happy days. Thanks for the patch.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

01 Jun 2020

For those who don't own Hive and may be unaware, you can load the patches with the Hive demo (which is a very simple download install).

The only limitation with the Hive demo (and other u-he plugins) is it emits crackling sounds every now and then. There is no session time limit or demo expiration. So don't feel like you can't at least check out and have a quick play with those patches if you don't own Hive. But be cautioned that those patches may be the reason you decide to buy Hive :P

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote:
30 May 2020
I like how eXode found a workaround to make Thor stereo by simple bypassing the internal routing and route audio via the matrix. Funny though how they omitted a pan for the oscillators in the design...
Isn't that how it's shown on the back of Thor?
[not meaning to take anything away from Exode's excellent work!]
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
31 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
31 May 2020

Thank you.
The "supersaw" originates from the JP-8000/8080. The supersaw oscillator resembles the sound of 7 detuned sawtooth oscillators.

Here are a couple in-depth studies: The Roland "supersaw" has a specific detuning curve and a particular sound. There is certainly an association when hearing any stack of detuned saws. For the sake of this community ReFill, we considered this to be an inspired by library and we included patches considered to strongly share characteristics of the supersaw—we didn't nitpick too much over detuning curves and number of saws, but we looked for those particular supersaw characteristics. After all, it can be regarded as one of the more difficult to accurately emulate. That said, there are many impressive patches included in this ReFill that sound just like the JP-8000 supersaw to our ears :thumbs_up:
I still love my JP8000!
Adam Sazbo is the king of the super saw IMO. When I first built my JP8 in Reaktor, I stumbled on Adams article showing the values for the pitch detune - plugged them into the model and instant super saw!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information