Which feature requests are most important to Reason DAW users? (oh boy here we go again)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
guitfnky

20 Mar 2020

some contextual commands and hotkey improvements would be really welcome.

I don’t want to have to click in the timeline every time I want to move the play head to a new location (e.g. clicking somewhere in the track should do it too).

an option to make hotkeys for the different tools only active while you’re holding the key would be awesome. pressing the M key to get the mute tool so I can mute one clip, then having to press the Q key to get back to the select tool is more steps than necessary. let us choose a default tool (for me, select), and give check boxes for the rest that let you decide whether you need to hold the key to use it, or it stays on after you press the key.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

20 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
20 Mar 2020
Screenshot_2020-03-20 Reason Studios - Posts.png

They dare ask :lol:
I would like to see what the poster responded to Reason Studio's post there.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Mike B

21 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
20 Mar 2020
No, Live's is inferior. Reason's algorithms seem way more advanced in this regard. Throw this in with the rest of the things I was referring to when I said "they got the hard parts right".
Thanks for your input :thumbs_up: And yes, I definitely agree with you. Reason needs to focus on the little details to become great again i.e. browser and sequencer workflow improvements, modern audio and midi tools and channel grouping.

Mike B

21 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Mar 2020
Mike B wrote:
20 Mar 2020
Screenshot_2020-03-20 Reason Studios - Posts.png

They dare ask :lol:
Here:
1.JPG
1.JPG (101.12 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (149.37 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
The last poster was referring to this wishlist, and got a like from Reason Studios, which means they saw it :thumbs_up: : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7513613

EdwardKiy

21 Mar 2020

can anyone link them to the correct thread please? Don't have facebook, but I wrote them a ticket. I may have used the "f" word too many times though... ;(

Creativemind

21 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
20 Mar 2020

Here:

1.JPG

2.JPG

The last poster was referring to this wishlist, and got a like from Reason Studios, which means they saw it :thumbs_up: : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7513613
Some absolutely crackin' suggestions there. I still stand by my most wanted feature for the sequencer (apart from the clicking then displaying the part of the clip you clicked issue) as being aliased / linked clips.

I sent Reason Studios a message today asking them to just improve what they've added thus far in 11. I said multiple curves for the crossfades and automation (and stated Studio One and Reaper have about 7), Verticke adjustment on the crossfades, a show / hide automation lane shortcut, quantizeable automation, multiple curves, points and quantizrable audio fade in / outs and I suggested to have a folder in the browser where you could save automation, cossfade and fade in / outs where you could simply open and drag 'n' drop the shapes on. How cool would that be and obviously a big selection of pre-made automation patches akin to James Bernards 52 Reason / Record Tips ones in one of his videos.

joeyluck

21 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2020
...quantizeable automation, multiple curves, points and quantizrable audio fade in / outs and I suggested to have a folder in the browser where you could save automation, cossfade and fade in / outs where you could simply open and drag 'n' drop the shapes on. How cool would that be and obviously a big selection of pre-made automation patches akin to James Bernards 52 Reason / Record Tips ones in one of his videos.
Yeah that would be great. I always dreamt of having a Synchronous type approach in the Sequencer—choose a shape, choose a rate, and draw.

Creativemind

22 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2020
...quantizeable automation, multiple curves, points and quantizrable audio fade in / outs and I suggested to have a folder in the browser where you could save automation, cossfade and fade in / outs where you could simply open and drag 'n' drop the shapes on. How cool would that be and obviously a big selection of pre-made automation patches akin to James Bernards 52 Reason / Record Tips ones in one of his videos.
Yeah that would be great. I always dreamt of having a Synchronous type approach in the Sequencer—choose a shape, choose a rate, and draw.
Yeah smart idea. Just been having a look, you can just drag along and it just draws it on Synchronous doesn't it. Brilliant.

DS_Joost

24 Mar 2020

I have one, and only one. Two words:

Track. Freeze.

Since Reason is a completely realtime DAW, and does not feature any pre-buffering audio like Cubase or Studio One, it is so, so important to be able to freeze tracks and their related devices and unfreeze them at the touch of a button, and multiple at the same time. I cannot overstress this. This is top priority for anyone trying to create really big projects inside Reason on any moderate system. The current system of rendering and disabling devices is way, WAAAAY too time consuming.

EdwardKiy

14 May 2020

Lords of Reason, I summon you into the abyss of this thread! As distraught as we are, have mercy, and guide us with your light. Tell us where your hammer strikes next!

Will we get the sequencer update that we've been asking for years or have our prayers been in vain?
LudvigC wrote:
15 Jan 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
02 Mar 2020
supersplaron wrote:
12 May 2020
Markus wrote:
19 Oct 2017
Claes Thorén wrote:
26 Oct 2017
ernstnathorst wrote:
19 May 2019
JonasE wrote:
13 May 2020
vojd wrote:
05 Mar 2020
Under piles of salt and social inadequacy, you may find some brilliant suggestions on this forum. We are all here because we care.
love reason.JPG
love reason.JPG (13.34 KiB) Viewed 2578 times

simonphinix1986

14 May 2020

I have another one. what about a compatible asio driver for bluetooth headphones. That would be great and reason studios would be one of the first. The latency and sound quality is simply too slow and too weak for the primary sound driver. With an ASIO driver for cordless headphones or bluetooth headphones, the latency and sound quality would definitely be better.

Attachments
bluetooth kopfhörer.jpg
bluetooth kopfhörer.jpg (143.9 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

w1pl0c

14 May 2020

Quick thought I had without reading all of the posts...

When running reason as a VST inside another daw, we lose the ability to use the quick resample function on reason devices.

This thing: Image

It would be nice to add that functionality just for ease of use

guitfnky

14 May 2020

I feel like they could pretty easily implement track folders right along with their existing bussing functionality. send it to a new buss? that buss is now a folder, in your rack, mixer, and sequencer. buss that to another buss? now that folder is in a folder. folders all the way down.

and I will never not be astounded that there’s still no auto punch functionality, or proper markers. even if they do give us those things (please, for the love of god and all that is holy in this world), I’ll still be astounded that it took so long.

DaveyG

14 May 2020

simonphinix1986 wrote:
14 May 2020
I have another one. what about a compatible asio driver for bluetooth headphones. That would be great and reason studios would be one of the first. The latency and sound quality is simply too slow and too weak for the primary sound driver. With an ASIO driver for cordless headphones or bluetooth headphones, the latency and sound quality would definitely be better.

No driver can solve the inherent latency in Bluetooth. Other wireless headphone technologies would fare better but you can't beat a good old-fashioned bit of wire for the best performance.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 May 2020

DS_Joost wrote:
24 Mar 2020
I have one, and only one. Two words:

Track. Freeze.

Since Reason is a completely realtime DAW, and does not feature any pre-buffering audio like Cubase or Studio One, it is so, so important to be able to freeze tracks and their related devices and unfreeze them at the touch of a button, and multiple at the same time. I cannot overstress this. This is top priority for anyone trying to create really big projects inside Reason on any moderate system. The current system of rendering and disabling devices is way, WAAAAY too time consuming.
Yes, yes, and yes.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

nemesjs

16 May 2020

I'm a Reason user for many years. I really love Reason and all it's universe and I don't use any other DAW mainly because I usually detest their interfaces.
I love the tri-dimensionality of Reason's rack and it's amazing possibilities.
But there is always space for improvement so here goes some of my requests:

VST
1. VST Midi Out! We need to be able to get midi out from VSTs to other rack extensions.
2. Make VST window top bar closable/collapsible, i find it's constant presence annoying and useless 99,9% of the time... Don't get me wrong - It is very useful but only at the time the functions on it are needed! User should be able to close it (better yet enable it or disable it at will but from the VST rack representation)
VST WINDOW.JPG
VST WINDOW.JPG (129.96 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

TOOL WINDOWS
I find Tool Window awkward and old fashioned (never liked it since version 4, 5...) all of it (or the most relevant) should be present at the top bar of main sequencer, specially a TRANSPOSE OCTAVE UP/DOWN option! (I know I can use ctrl-shift up/down but mouse clicks are easier!) 😉
96769820_10221973743153911_4620193794589982720_o.jpg
96769820_10221973743153911_4620193794589982720_o.jpg (242.91 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

SUPER COMBINATORS
Combinators are a marvelous concept but they are in desperate need of an expanse of capabilities!
We need a new Super Combinator with a lot more buttons, rotaries, sliders, XY pad, etc and specially a lot more CV inputs!
Here is an example (a bit AKAI style biased I know...)
SUPERCOMBINATOR front and back.jpg
SUPERCOMBINATOR front and back.jpg (686.17 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

Big thanks and appreciation to Reason's Dev. Team!

friday

16 May 2020

“Believe in the strength of your software and what you have built in the early stages of Reason, stop to add to much new stuff, enhance all the cool stuff that is still there!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Update the Wave Editor with more integration in the whole workflow and more features
  • Option to open sequencer audio clips direct in the Wave Editor
  • Tempo synced Grid to set Start, Loop and End marker in time
  • Recycle Features
  • More fader curves
  • …. I believe you will have much more ideas when you think of that deeper integration
Update Combinator
  • Select target in mod matrix with the arrows, drag and drop style (as on your new devices)
  • Double the knobs and buttons

Update Remote Control
  • 10 years ago, you were leader in how software should be controlled by controllers. Just think of the deep integration of "Korg Kontrol 49" that was years ahead of your competitors. These days, the bigger controller manufacturers don’t care about a good reason integration, so now it is your part to care about.
  • Hire a student an let her/him create some good mappings for the actual most important controllers. (as a example, control the ReDrum step sequencer with all the new novation launchpads, without working several hours on Remote Map files. It is your credo, to let us make music and not waste time with technology!
Update Thor
  • Add Stereo OSC with new state of the art zero delay filters (new modules to keep the backwards compatibility, internal routing adapts to the selected modules)

Update Groove Matrix
  • Ability to slide more precisely (in 0.1ms steps)
  • Interconnectivity between the channels (like a real band when the drummer plays a part of the beat laid back, the other members will follow)
  • Ability to add random jitter (similar to random but at a minimum of 0.1ms steps)

Update Tool Windows
  • Slice Sequencer Audio Clips in a certain number of snips
  • Auto move snips to Kong Pads

EdwardKiy

16 May 2020

When I load up (open) a saved song file, I would like the windows of the sequencer, rack and mixer to be the way I left them, and not in random places with random width and height.

If I leave them full screen when I leave, why are they not full screen when I load them up?
And why would they not be full screen by default?

guitfnky

16 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
16 May 2020
When I load up (open) a saved song file, I would like the windows of the sequencer, rack and mixer to be the way I left them, and not in random places with random width and height.

If I leave them full screen when I leave, why are they not full screen when I load them up?
are you using an ultra high resolution monitor like a 4k? I think it’s a known bug that causes that. I never had any issues with Reason saving the window states, until I started using a 4k screen.

I have to assume that will be fixed whenever they release their hi res update, though when that might be is anyone’s guess. in the meantime, I’ve had success with a third party window management app, so that might be worth looking into, for you.

EdwardKiy

16 May 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 May 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
16 May 2020

are you using an ultra high resolution monitor like a 4k? I think it’s a known bug that causes that. I never had any issues with Reason saving the window states, until I started using a 4k screen.

I have to assume that will be fixed whenever they release their hi res update, though when that might be is anyone’s guess. in the meantime, I’ve had success with a third party window management app, so that might be worth looking into, for you.
just a 2k monitor, but yes, it's pretty annoying I have to cycle through all the windows and re-size them EVERY SINGLE TIME. Let's hope this is fixed someday.

JunctionArsonist

16 May 2020

1. "Freezing tracks" or rendering tracks as audio would go a long way. any change to the track in the rack or sequencer would trigger an unfreeze and a return to real-time mode. Also, running out of CPU should trigger an option to start rendering tracks as audio. This is something that can be done on command or in the background with a flag to check off in settings.

2. Overlapping blocks. if i can use blocks like phrases, that can be mixed and matched, overlapped and multitrack (multiblock) sequenced in their own right, i would be over the moon and actually start using blocks in my workflow.

3. Clip locking in the sequencer is an easy thing to implement. i would ask for one step further - clip "entanglement" - where you can do time stretching on one clip and it propagates to other clips that are part of a group - useful for altering the feel of a multitrack drum take...

These are the sequencer updates i am looking for and would be thrilled to see these improvements (along with a high res variable zoom rack) as R12.

ltbrunt00

28 May 2020

I actually thought the google form was fairly good. I hope there are more forms like that to help get feature request to the developers.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Creativemind

29 May 2020

w1pl0c wrote:
14 May 2020
Quick thought I had without reading all of the posts...

When running reason as a VST inside another daw, we lose the ability to use the quick resample function on reason devices.

This thing: Image

It would be nice to add that functionality just for ease of use
Yeah I noticed that a couple of days ago, on Grain this was. Not sure of the best solution to this 'cause audio is recorded by the daw the RRP is working in and in Reason directly puts that audio in the Song Samples folder where you can edit further if need be. One solution for the NN-XT would be to update it (improved modernised GUI, FX, more parameters automatable) and to include it's own built in Sample Editor with tempo sync etc.) Would it be possible in another daw though to have it record in essentially what is an Re, would that be do-able, as in select an audio input in an Re itself as opposed to the daw doing it?

I just thought I'd check too, in Reaper, the pitch bend range still isn't available as an automation event.

Tried in FL Studio, not available there either. So automatable parameters are set by the VST developer then?

djsmex

29 May 2020

As I understand It, RE/VST automatable parameters, MIDI remotable items and CV/Audio I/O are all set by the RE/VST developer. However, I'm not a RE/VST dev so may not have understood it fully.

selig
RE Developer

29 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Something that even Pro Tools has been able to do for a few decades now…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information