Web Remote Map Generator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djsmex

18 May 2020

I've now added the mode values for the bcf2000 and bcr2000. I've also added a little js, to help ensure only valid values are entered in the scale text box and only 7bit ascii used in the remote filter textbox.
Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts, ideas and any issues.

djsmex

25 May 2020

It's been a little while, I've now made some fundamental updates to the web app.
1. It's all gone ajax, so no page reloads.
2. It now has both controller and device info at the top of step3.
3. You can use the control and remote filters on map and quick step views.
4. In map view, if the control item has output values, you can set an output value in place of a remote item. This is useful when you want to set a text value or set a zero value.
5. Input values for both remote filter and text output are set to only accept 7bit ASCII, so preventing invalid values.
6. The input/output matches are now shown separately in map view.
7. A circled exclamation icon is now used for warning matches.
8. There is now a link to select a different control surface in step3. Note this will restart the map process and you will lose the current map.
9. The link for selecting a new device, is not currently working. However, when it does, it will also start a new map and the current map will be lost.
10 There is a few page layout changes and some style changes.

Please let me know what you think, bare with us, as next will be the introduction to map groups.
http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/

djsmex

26 May 2020

Quick update, the select device link on step3, is now working.

djsmex

28 May 2020

Fixed bug with del button and found two other bugs:
1. If control item is Delta with ValueOutput, no remote option is displayed for Output Value.
2. If remote item is text value or output value, the edit button doesn't work.
I'm working on these and hope to have both fixed soon. If you spot a bug or get an error, please let me know.
Also, possible new feature:
When remote groups are added and you use the keyboard shortcut variation group, the auto map and random map features, may be able to map items across these groups, starting from group 1 (default group).
Please let me know your thoughts on this feature.

Sterioevo

28 May 2020

The link doesn’t work at http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/ for “step1....”

djsmex

28 May 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
28 May 2020
The link doesn’t work at http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/ for “step1....”
What browser are you using, the latest version uses jQuery, Bootstrap & ajax. When you click the start link, you should get a modal overlay with the manufacturer dropdown. The old links /index.php/step1/... are no longer used.

Sterioevo

28 May 2020

It is working now - I am at a loss to explain.
I am using safari on an iPad and also a MacBook.

Have you had a look at Remotify, and how it implements remote scripting for Ableton live controllers? www.remotify.io

djsmex

29 May 2020

Glad its working for you now, perhaps your browser was working from old cached pages. I'll take a look at remotify, I'm not an ableton user but have tried it in the passed. Do you still have to map ableton midi remote for each different session?

DaveyG

29 May 2020

Not working for me either.
Windows 10 Pro
MS Edge, with and without ad blocker.
Chrome, latest version

Clicking on step 1 just adds a # to the URL and displays nothing else.

Noise
Competition Winner

29 May 2020

Yeah, Jquery is not loading:

Chrome Console:
Failed to find a valid digest in the 'integrity' attribute for resource 'https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.5.1.min.js' with computed SHA-256 integrity '9/aliU8dGd2tb6OSsuzixeV4y/faTqgFtohetphbbj0='. The resource has been blocked.

Firefox is doing the same.
What about you copy jquery into your localfiles, avoiding loading from external source ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

djsmex

29 May 2020

Thanks for letting us know, it seems either I've copied the sha value wrong or it has changed. I'll get this sorted asap.

djsmex

29 May 2020

Thanks everyone, I've took your advice Noise, and am now loading jQuery locally. If you can please test it again and let us know if it's all working now.
Many thanks for your support and feedback! If you spot any other issues, please let me know.

DaveyG

29 May 2020

It gets further this time.

I made some random choices, clicked automap and got this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice
Filename: views/update_map_view.php
Line Number: 38
Backtrace:
File: /homepages/16/d391614732/htdocs/remoter/RemoterApp/application/views/update_map_view.php
Line: 38
Function: _error_handler
File: /homepages/16/d391614732/htdocs/remoter/RemoterApp/application/controllers/Main_control.php
Line: 224
Function: view
File: /homepages/16/d391614732/htdocs/remoter/RemoterApp/application/controllers/Main_control.php
Line: 25
Function: auto_map
File: /homepages/16/d391614732/htdocs/remoter/RemoterApp/index.php
Line: 315
Function: require_once
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the url again but I can't get back to the start, presumably because you have some session vars set. I just get this:

pic.png
pic.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 2294 times

I can't remember what options I chose. Something Novation and an instrument.

djsmex

30 May 2020

Thanks DaveyG, I'll look into this and get it fixed. Yes, there is a session in use, the idea is to assist the form post but its not working 100% as yet. You will have to clear your browser history to reset it. I'll disable this on the next update but when disabled, refreshing the page, will restart the app.
Many thanks for helping test the app and giving me your feedback, its most appreciated.

djsmex

31 May 2020

Quick update, I believe two bugs are now fixed.
1. missing dropdown for delta controls with a valueoutput as appose to textoutput.
2. missing view variable in update_map_view.
Please give it a try and let us know how you get on.

jam-s

31 May 2020

It might be an idea to record the generated maps for a while and then do some statistics on those. That way you could get which buttons/rotaries get mapped to which control the most and then newly created maps could be (optionally) started with the most common assignments.

djsmex

31 May 2020

Thanks jam-s, that's an interesting idea, so I've now added a cache of every mapped saved. This will give me some idea of usage of the web app, the control surfaces people tend to map for, the devices being mapped and the assignments.
I've fixed a few bugs now but suspect there are more to sort out, since I added the valueoutput/textoutput remote options.
Please let me know if people would like the option to share maps, as it may be possible to include an option to load a shared map as your starting point.

mjxl

01 Jun 2020

I was doing something similar, it works too \o / (only as windows app tho)
You can see I was just loading the .repatch files, which is usable for a big part, but not flawless.. (underscores/capital letters/spaces)

Yours is a good take on the idea, i like it !

You could eventually add MIDI functionality to it, take a quick look at my Remoter for example (https://mjxl.net/remoter/)

Also a functionality thingy to add perhaps, slap a webworker in there so we can run it as 'native' apps \o/ (this adds the install method in address bar)

rmtcvolte

01 Jun 2020

djsmex wrote:
18 May 2020
I've now added the mode values for the bcf2000 and bcr2000. I've also added a little js, to help ensure only valid values are entered in the scale text box and only 7bit ascii used in the remote filter textbox.
Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts, ideas and any issues.
Hi, nice work and thank you for all this.
But I have to point out that the modes on the BCR/BCF are as follows:

Push Encoder only:
"Single Dot", "Single Dot/Off", "Off", "Double Dots", "Double Dots/Off", "Bar", "Bar/Off", "Spread", "Pan", "Reverse Spread", "Reverse Bar", "Inverted Bar"

all other Encoders:
"Single Dot", "Single Dot/Off", "Off"

(there are not case sensitive)

djsmex

01 Jun 2020

Hi rmtvolte, thanks for letting me know. I'll get this updated asap. The problem I had with the bcf2000/bcr2000 is the codecs shipped with reason are encrypted, so I tried to extract the modes from the remote maps.

djsmex

01 Jun 2020

Quick update: I've now fixed the bug with the edit buttons. It now retains the correct values from the map entry being edited.
Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts, any bugs, errors or issues and of cause any ideas.

djsmex

01 Jun 2020

Thanks mjxl, I'll take a look and perhaps later I could add in some midi via the webmidi.js to help with things like creating custom codecs etc. Unfortunately as the video doesn't seem to have any voice dialogue, it's very difficult for me to know whats going on, as I have very limited sight and use high magnification and tts/screen readers.
That said, thanks for the feedback and glad you like my web app thus far. Always good to hear other people's ideas!

djsmex

03 Jun 2020

Quick update: the bcf2000/bcr2000 encoders have been updated with the mode values kindly provided by rmtvolte. I've also added the output ValueOutput, which now allows for absolute values to be used in the maps.
Please give it a try and if you spot anything missing, get an error or have a suggestion, please let me know.

djsmex

04 Jun 2020

Quick update: after the last feature update of adding value output and text output values, there was a few bugs around the edit feature. These I believe are all now fixed. There were also a few php warning messages being rendard into the html which I believe are also now fixed.
Next I want to develop the map groups feature. This is an area many people have some confusion over.
The basic concept is by default you can only map each control item to one remote item. However, by adding one or more groups, each control item can be mapped to one remote item inside each group or group set. Giving the potential for endless mappings.
There is one pre-named group, Keyboard Shortcut Variation, which can be switched via your computer keyboard and is limited to a max of ten group values. All other groups defined in a map require the control surface to switch groups.
There are some naming rules around groups, like they must not start with a number or contain quotes or equals and no two names can be the same inside a single device map scope. Group names are not case sensitive and are limited to 7bit ascii, so no acutes etc.
To my knowledge, there is no limit on the number of groups that can be defined and only the pre-named group is limited in the number of group values that can be added.
Each control item can be assigned to one or more defined groups and when multiple groups are defined, you can assign each control to a group value from one or more groups.
So if you had two defined groups: A and B with group values A1 and A2 for group A and B1 and B2 for group B, each control item can be mapped into any of the following groups:
1 Global, meaning it is mapped regardless of either group current state.
2 A1, meaning it is mapped to Groups A first default group A1 and either groups B values.
3 A2 B1, meaning is mapped only when group A is set to A2 and group B is set to B1, the default group value.
4 A2 B2, meaning it is mapped when group A is A2 and group B is B2.
5 B2, meaning it is mapped when group B is set to B2 and either group A value.
Each unique group selection can map each control item and remote item once allowing for both control items and remote items to be mapped multiple times across different group selections.
A good example of this can be found in the Mackie controllers and the M-Audio Project IO controller. Where a group named Flip with two values Normal and Flipped, are used to toggle two sets of control items with two sets of remote items, like pan & volume toggled between encoders and faders.
I hope to add the group feature to this remote map app, using just one dropdown menu with options to add/edit/select groups and include the setting of groups via control items using an option in the remote option dropdown.
Please bare with us while I develop and test this group feature, as it may take a while to get right.
In the mean time, please feel free to use the remoter app to generate device maps and let us know if you spot any bugs or have any feature ideas.
Many thanks to everyone helping.

djsmex

10 Jun 2020

First Keyboard Shortcut Variation remote groups are now added.
These groups can be switched using the numbers on your computer keyboard and allows for up to ten remote groups. This expanding any controller controls by ten.
There's a groups dropdown menu, where you can create/edit the groups as well as select the active group.
It prevents you from using invalid group names and it only shows the current selected group but keeps all map data stored for each group.
The save map, will add the define group lines and the group names on map entry lines for you, so no more issues with tabs or typos of group names.
The auto/random functions only currently add mappings for the current selected group but I hope to add an option to have it map across all keyboard shortcut variation groups defined.
At present you can not delete groups created, only edit their names.
You can leave group values empty but you should use them in order from 1 to 10, so values in 1, 2 & 3 is fine but if you did values in 1, 2, 5 & 6, I don't believe these will be switched by keys 1, 2, 5 & 6. It is more likely to switch from the keys 1, 2, 3 & 4.
However, this has not been tested.
The groups should also work in the quick step view as well as the default map view. You can switch back and forth between groups to add/edit/remove mappings.
The app makes better use of session data and ajax, so if you leave it, you may get timeouts or if you refresh the page, it will restart.
Next I will be adding the midi groups and the option to set midi groups in the remote option section via control items.
Please give the app a try, test out the new groups feature and let me know what you think.

• Information