How to select a region of an audio clip?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GateWatcher

26 May 2020

I am a very new user of Reason 11 (demo). I am sorry if this question has been asked multiple times. I have searched the internet and checked the Reason 10 manual, yet I could NOT figure out how to select a region on an audio clip like how I did it in Studio One as shown in the following video.

Thank you!

Bewlay

26 May 2020

You have to cut the area to make a new clip. Use the 'razor' tool. (R on keyboard) and chop up the audio.
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

antic604

26 May 2020

GateWatcher wrote:
26 May 2020
...I could NOT figure out how to select a region on an audio clip...
I don't think you can. Use the razor tool (key 'R') to cut out the bit you want.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chimp_spanner

26 May 2020

You can do this without cutting! With the razor tool selected, hold option (or I guess ctrl on PC) until you see a little plus icon next to the cursor. Now you can click and drag to make a copy of just that region of the audio.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 26 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

plaamook

26 May 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 May 2020
You can do this without cutting! With the razor tool selected, hold option (or I guess curl on PC) until you see a little plus icon next to the cursor. Now you can click and drag to make a copy of just that region of the audio.
That's realy handy. I never knew that. Always cut cut copy drag and join up the original clip again.
I love this place....
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

GateWatcher

26 May 2020

Thank you everyone! I am feeling frustrated by the Reason’s audio editing approach. I couldn’t figure it out:

1. how to delete the selection I made by holding down option/ctrl with razor tool?

2. how to auto close the gap after deleting a selection (ripple editing in Studio One)?

I couldn’t find any basic audio clip editing tutorials I am looking for (written or videos) on the internet. I really want to learn Reason, but it’s not intuitive to me at all. I can do my audio editing in Studio One, Logic Pro X or Ableton Live (not as good for audio editing compared to S1 or LPX), but it defeats my purpose of learning Reason. I am so glad that I found this forum! Thank you all for helping in advance.
Last edited by GateWatcher on 26 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

26 May 2020

GateWatcher wrote:
26 May 2020
Thank you everyone! I am feeling frustrated by the Reason’s audio editing approach. I couldn’t figure it out:

1. how to delete the selection I made by holding down option/ctrl with razor tool?

2. how to auto close the gap after deleting a selection (ripple editing in Studio One)?

I couldn’t find any basic editing tutorials (written or videos) on the internet. I really want to learn Reason, but it’s not intuitive to me. Thank you all for helping in advance.
Re 2. - Reason doesn't have Studio One's ripple editing. You need to move the clip(s) manually.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chimp_spanner

26 May 2020

GateWatcher wrote:
26 May 2020

I couldn’t find any basic editing tutorials (written or videos) on the internet. I really want to learn Reason, but it’s not intuitive to me. Thank you all for helping in advance.
1) Not sure I follow. Using option/ctrl and razor drag creates a copy of that region of audio on top of the existing, longer clip. If you want to just get rid of the audio there you can just use the razor normally and then either move or delete the bit you've chopped out.

2) There is no ripple editing. What you can do is set your locators and then right click and choose "Remove Bars Between Locators" but this will be done to every track in the project. If you just want to close gaps on a single audio track you'll have to just move the parts by hand.

GateWatcher

26 May 2020

@antic604 & @chimp_spanner, thank you both so much for such a speedy responses! I really appreciate it!

chimp_spanner

26 May 2020

GateWatcher wrote:
26 May 2020
@antic604 & @chimp_spanner, thank you both so much for such a speedy responses! I really appreciate it!
No problem! Let us know how you get on :)

Bewlay

26 May 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 May 2020
You can do this without cutting! With the razor tool selected, hold option (or I guess ctrl on PC) until you see a little plus icon next to the cursor. Now you can click and drag to make a copy of just that region of the audio.
Ah good to know, thanks :thumbs_up:
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

GateWatcher

26 May 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 May 2020
No problem! Let us know how you get on :)
I found out Reason’s Pitch Edit mode is pretty good. I have no problems with it. Maybe because I have Melodyne 4 Studio and they are similar in a lot of ways. The quality is good too. I can hardly tell the difference compared to Melodyne. Melodyne is more powerful though.

qbx

22 Jun 2022

HI
I hope that my question is relevant

I have an audio clip
Then use the Razor cut tool and now have 2 portions of the clip.
for example i only want bars 1-19 and the everything else to the right i don't want
it seems with Reason, at best the portion to the right is only "masked".
there is no actual delete

As best that i can figure, the only way to save the portion i want is to export it "Bounce to disk"
this produces the final short portion of the clip i want.

what i need to confirm is that in Reason there is no way to actually delete the masked portions of audio clips?
(consequently, a project with 30 audio files is enormous)

jam-s

22 Jun 2022

You can also "bounce in place" to get a new truncated clip, delete the original clip and then "save and optimize" to get to a reduced file size.

crimsonwarlock

23 Jun 2022

qbx wrote:
22 Jun 2022
it seems with Reason, at best the portion to the right is only "masked".
there is no actual delete
It's a feature. It is called non-destructive editing, and many if not all other DAWs do the exact same thing. If there is a DAW out there that still only does destructive editing, you can be sure that their users are begging for this feature.

In most cases, you want to use a part of the audio, but you don't want to lose the original file. If you don't have non-destructive editing, you need to have both the original audio AND the cut-out clip, effectively taking up more space on your hard disk.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2022

jam-s wrote:
22 Jun 2022
You can also "bounce in place" to get a new truncated clip, delete the original clip and then "save and optimize" to get to a reduced file size.
And delete unused recordings…

[also wanted to add that Reason uses a different editing/selection approach. Reason has an object based selection concept, so you select an object or a group of objects (single/multiple notes, automation data points, audio or MIDI clips, channels, devices etc. and then do what you want to that selection.
Many/most(/all?) other DAWs use time based selection concepts, where everything on the selected track is 'selected' if it falls within the timeline selection.
So specifically with audio clips, to 'select' anything less than an entire clip in Reason, you must first reduce the size of the clip to the size your desired selection. For example, using the Razor tool to option/copy a new clip from an existing clip or to simply adjust/trim the clip itself. A bit backwards if you're coming from a timeline selection DAW, but workable none the less IMO (I migrated easily after years of Pro Tools editing).]
Selig Audio, LLC

qbx

23 Jun 2022

Thanks for your replies :)

I am using Reason 8.3, but i see this "Bounce in Place" is available later in Reason 12.

in Reason 8.3, i can't get this to work
I start with 1 audio clip on 1 audio lane on my 1 audio track
i see that in SINGLE TAKE MODE, using CTRL-E to access COMP EDIT does not do anything as it is only a single clip

then select razor tool and place it at BAR 19
it creates a slice
then i click on the Pointer Tool
and now the 2 portions can be highlighted by a dark border as I select 1 portion or the other

At this point, if i click on CTRL-E, it enters COMP MODE and shows the lane as Audi lane, "Imported..".
i return to Single Take Mode and try this Bounce to New Recordings

then i can verify a lane with the word BOUNCE so I see that it has been bounced with only bars 1-19
the other "imported" lane is still there

At this point, i can only guess what to do
I select the original lane clip bars 1-19 and choose to "delete unused recordings"
it deletes the "imported" lane, but retains the "bounced" lane in COMP EDIT View

the original lane in its entirety is still there.

and when i save and optimize it, it still has about the same large MB
SO i don;t know what i am doing wrong

if i choose Bounce to Disk, i can shrink the MB.

I hope this is all clear

jam-s

23 Jun 2022

In Reason 8.3 you can also bounce clips to new samples (see p. 211 of the manual) and then remove the original recording.
Also the feature "Bounce in place" was called "Bounce Clip(s) to New Recording(s)". (Manual pp. 218 ff)

qbx

24 Jun 2022

thanks JAM-S for the quick reply.
i think i finally understand that this BOUNCE to NEW RECORDINGS & DELETE UNUSED RECORDINGS together do not actually deleted the portion of the clip that i want to delete and thereby reduce the file size.

I have found a 2-step process to do this
step 1 to in fact use the BOUNCE & DELETE technique
step 2 actually delete the portion of the clip i don't want in the original clip, then save as new file name
this reduces the 300+ MB to 7MB and saves the part of the clips I want

I suppose these are 2 steps that were used to create function BOUNCE IN PLACE .

this forum is a real help as people like you and others all share some insight.

• Information