Any ideas or requests for a new RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Hi All,
Well I have finally taken the plunge and delved deep into the world of DSP, ODE's, Real time modelling of circuits etc etc.

I would now like to make a RE that is based on some real world circuits rather than math functions and wave tables.

Please feel free to suggest something, it can be anything as long as the circuit is in the public domain and can be used freely.

Depending on the effort involved I will aim to release the RE for free, if not then certainly at the lowest pricing tier possible.

Thanks,
Murf.

Bes
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

a music structure device would be good to have. something that would be able to follow the reason transport and count out lengths of sections and then switch patterns of other devices like matrix or kompulsion. assignable sections for verse, chorus, pre/post chorus, bridge intro/outro etc each with standard variations like aaba etc
- Certified Reason expert

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Bes wrote:
26 May 2020
a music structure device would be good to have. something that would be able to follow the reason transport and count out lengths of sections and then switch patterns of other devices like matrix or kompulsion. assignable sections for verse, chorus, pre/post chorus, bridge intro/outro etc each with standard variations like aaba etc
Thanks for the suggestion but I am looking for Virtual Analog synth suggestions that can be modeled from a real world circuit diagram rather than RE's that interact with MIDI or the sequencer, transport etc. (players and such), although I will keep this one in mind for down the track when I delve into those.

Loque

26 May 2020

Modulate two or more sources. There is no free FM, RM/AM or PM device, taking 2 sources.
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

oh yea i totally missed the question. is convolution resonance something you would be into? i'm looking for a tone colouring device not a reverb. loques suggestion is great too
- Certified Reason expert

zoidkirb

26 May 2020

No idea on real world circuits but I'll put my vote behind any kind of fm synthesis please.

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
26 May 2020
No idea on real world circuits but I'll put my vote behind any kind of fm synthesis please.
I am currently working on a port of BogAudio's FM-OP module from VCV rack into a RE (with Matt's permissions)

A sine-wave oscillator and simple synth voice designed to allow patching up the classic FM algorithms (using multiple instances). Features:

Linear through-zero FM response.
CV-controllable FM depth.
CV-controllable FM self-feedback.
CV-controllable output level. The LEVEL knob and CV have a linear-in-decibels (exponential in amplitude) response; a context-menu setting makes this linear in amplitude.
An on-board ADSR, controlled by the GATE input, with selectable routing to output level, feedback and depth, with CV control over the sustain level.
A main frequency knob calibrated for setting the frequency as a ratio of the frequency dictated by the V/OCT input - assuming a single V/OCT CV is routed to multiple FM-OPs, this allows the relative frequency of each operator to be set via ratios.

https://github.com/bogaudio/BogaudioModules

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Loque wrote:
26 May 2020
Modulate two or more sources. There is no free FM, RM/AM or PM device, taking 2 sources.
I will work on this idea thanks Loque.

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Bes wrote:
26 May 2020
oh yea i totally missed the question. is convolution resonance something you would be into? i'm looking for a tone colouring device not a reverb. loques suggestion is great too
Not really seen it before, got any examples/devices?

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

challism

26 May 2020

I know this isn't a synth, but maybe you can kick the idea around a bit. I'd love to see a good emulation of the uni-vibe effects pedal like Jimi Hendrix used. There are some nice tries but most of them miss the mark, I think. I'm unaware of any that actually came close. I would love to see something like that in the RE format. Maybe Kuassa could do one?

Is it just me or is it odd that one of the most iconic pedals from one of the most influential and well-known guitarists (talking about Jimi's Uni-vibe) seems to be pretty much non-existent in the software marketplace. I mean compare how many Uni-Vibe software copies there are to how many Crybaby software copies there are. Or any popular pedal, really. It must be a very difficult sound to copy well.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Neo

26 May 2020

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

robotgard

26 May 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

Gristleizer.
http://gristleizer.com/

The schematics first the original are pretty easy to find online.
Attachments
0F08404D-076C-43DE-B03E-2FD9B022E681.png
0F08404D-076C-43DE-B03E-2FD9B022E681.png (260.85 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
2411C79A-374B-40BE-A24D-7FC55A624BFF.png
2411C79A-374B-40BE-A24D-7FC55A624BFF.png (394.85 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Pedals!! love the ideas keep them coming thanks heaps!!

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2020

A CV utility module like Maths or similar would be cool, especially with an audio input option. Most of that module is very simple/basic stuff, so no need to copy it directly from a schematic - could even improve on it anyway, would be happy to help with design/suggestions and testing!
Selig Audio, LLC

Jackjackdaw

26 May 2020

selig wrote:
26 May 2020
A CV utility module like Maths or similar would be cool, especially with an audio input option. Most of that module is very simple/basic stuff, so no need to copy it directly from a schematic - could even improve on it anyway, would be happy to help with design/suggestions and testing!
Ive always fancied an envelope generator with an end of cycle cv output, something like Maths or the Befaco one, Rampage?

chimp_spanner

26 May 2020

I would love, love, loooove a recreation of Electro Harmonix POG. I don't know if schematics are even available for it but to this day it's still one of the best polyphonic pitch shifters I've used, and I'm assuming it's not digital and so could be replicated?

DaveyG

26 May 2020

I think guitar pedals could be a rich vein to plunder for RE material.
Remember that fx pedals tend to aim at the IN-YOUR-FACE end of the market.

"Ooh, that tone control is quite subtle", said no-one, of any guitar pedal., ever.

And please make one with controls that go to 11.

Murf
RE Developer

26 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
26 May 2020
And please make one with controls that go to 11.
The "TGTE" effects RE
(These Go To Eleven)

BRIGGS

26 May 2020

If you like pedals, and are looking for ideas...

The rabbit hole is endless. There are tons of guitar pedals! :puf_smile:

see: https://www.youtube.com/user/jhspedals/videos
r11s

bak

26 May 2020

Something like polyplex from Native instruments

Stygian Abyss

26 May 2020

I'd suggest some Mutable Instruments modules, especially Clouds. They are open source digital audio sources and effects originating from Eurorack that have already been ported into VCV format.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 May 2020
I'd love to see a good emulation of the uni-vibe effects pedal like Jimi Hendrix used. There are some nice tries but most of them miss the mark, I think. I'm unaware of any that actually came close.
Have you tried Audiority Tube Modulator or Amplitube's Univibe?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

rorystorm

26 May 2020

+1 to the euroports particularly rampage.... what I'd really like is a Turing machine re. I'd thought I could do the same kinds of thing with psq1684 but..... also a Quant for translating lfos into notes would be amaz6.

• Information