Pitch Edit Rack Extension

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tropicalpepe

22 May 2020

I used to use the Pitch edit mode to tune vocals and now with the VST rack I have lost this functionality.

Hoping to get the pitch edit function made into an RE just like the SSL stuff.

For now can anyone recommend an alternative workflow?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020
I used to use the Pitch edit mode to tune vocals and now with the VST rack I have lost this functionality.

Melodyne.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

madmacman

22 May 2020

tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020

Well, Pitch Edit is more a sequencer task, and less a plugin. Back in the days of first Melodyne, integration of the plugin was a chore: copying audio track into Melodyne buffer, editing, and copying back into the host.

The invention of ARA as standard for pitch edit integration was for good reasons. So if you moved to another host, then check what kind of ARA support it provides and buy a decent third party plugin. With Reason Pitch Edit as a RE you won’t be happy.

tropicalpepe

22 May 2020

madmacman wrote:
22 May 2020
tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020

Well, Pitch Edit is more a sequencer task, and less a plugin. Back in the days of first Melodyne, integration of the plugin was a chore: copying audio track into Melodyne buffer, editing, and copying back into the host.

The invention of ARA as standard for pitch edit integration was for good reasons. So if you moved to another host, then check what kind of ARA support it provides and buy a decent third party plugin. With Reason Pitch Edit as a RE you won’t be happy.
I see what you’re saying. Unfortunately I’m using Ableton which doesn’t do this as far as I’m aware.

I might check out Melodyne it’s just that it’s $100 for something that I hypothetically already have.

Thanks for the answers guys

jam-s

25 May 2020

You can still use Reason to do your pitch edit and then export the vocals back into Live.

robotgard

25 May 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 May 2020

tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020
madmacman wrote:
22 May 2020

I see what you’re saying. Unfortunately I’m using Ableton which doesn’t do this as far as I’m aware.

I might check out Melodyne it’s just that it’s $100 for something that I hypothetically already have.

Basic Melodyne is 50 bucks when it goes on sale, though the basic doesn't offer that much more than Reason sequencer. BUT it does detect bass notes, Reason does not.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

poshook

19 Nov 2022

Boombastix wrote:
25 May 2020
tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020

Basic Melodyne is 50 bucks when it goes on sale, though the basic doesn't offer that much more than Reason sequencer. BUT it does detect bass notes, Reason does not.
Melodyne even the flagship version is nowhere near to the quality of Reason pitch edit when we talk about extreme (creative) pitch correction. It sound fine with small correction to keep original notes as they are, but when you experiment and need to completely reconstruct the melody, it sounds awful. Pitch edit is the best one zero latency pitch correction tool in my book hand down. I would pay whole Reason+ subscription just for it.

guitfnky

19 Nov 2022

I can't speak for the quality of either when it comes to pushing them to extremes, but Reason's pitch editing is not great. Melodyne's is better, but not by a ton. Reason is awful for just ending up with random spots where it's doubling the audio for some reason, resulting in very brief chorusing. Melodyne doesn't do that at least, but the editing can get finicky sometimes and doesn't always behave how you expect. Reason also has that problem, but less frequently.

when it comes to the functionality of Melodyne's basic offering vs. Reason, the statement 'it doesn't offer that much more than Reason' is correct--but it would be more accurate to say it actually offers less than Reason's pitch editing. as I recall, their base offering doesn't allow you to scale the pitch accuracy of a selected note--I think it only allows you to snap notes to the grid. I could be wrong about that, as I upgraded some time ago (and they could have changed what you actually get since then), but I think that's how it worked.

really hope they add a similar integrated pitch editor into Live at some point soon. that's the only major feature I'm missing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jlgrimes

03 Jan 2023

tropicalpepe wrote:
22 May 2020
madmacman wrote:
22 May 2020

Ableton not having ARA kind of sucks.

An okay workaround is have Ableton open up audio using Melodyne as an external Audio Editor.

An alternative is to use Reason instead of Melodyne and that way you should be able to use Reason to pitch edit audio.

• Information