Dragging Clips Out Of Reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

09 Nov 2015

Hi!

Reason should have the ability of dragging a midi clip, one box for instance, straight out of the Reason sequencer and onto the desktop. Just something I discovered I wanted to do. I wanted to use an 8 bar midi clip in another DAW to access sounds using a VST instrument, and I always have to (if it's just one specific midi part I want), delete everything bar that one part and export file as midi file. Annoying having to delete everything. Not only dragging it, there should be an option in the file menu too, to Export Loop as Midi File, not just Export Loop As Audio File.

Also, when Exporting Loop As Audio File, every track between the locators gets exported. Is there a way of just exporting one specific 8 bar section in a track?

Also as for dragging, there should also be the ability to drag an audio file onto your desktop too. Maybe also, the ability of dragging a midi clip or audio clip into a folder in your browser.

Thoughts?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

esselfortium

09 Nov 2015

Good idea, this would be nice to have!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

09 Nov 2015

100% agree, very cool idea indeed!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

mbfrancis

16 Nov 2015

I use Bounce to Disk for audio clips all the time, especially for Melodyne. Would be nice to drag/drop, although it's not that slow now.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

motuscott

16 Nov 2015

Also, when Exporting Loop As Audio File, every track between the locators gets exported. Is there a way of just exporting one specific 8 bar section in a track?
Solo the track or tracks you want then export as audio file.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2015

mbfrancis wrote:I use Bounce to Disk for audio clips all the time, especially for Melodyne. Would be nice to drag/drop, although it's not that slow now.
Agreed this process isn't a show stopper as is. But for overall consistency, and a more direct way of working, this would be great.

Imagine for example dragging your vocal track directly into melodyne, working on it, then dragging it right back into Reason! You'd never need to find the audio file and open it or remember where you saved it or what you named it. One can dream…
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

17 Nov 2015

Props: Stop being a boring company, stop leading a boring life! (I'll give 100 quatloos to someone who gets the reference!) :lol:

Yes, I'm in favor of this. Please just do it :)

Creativemind

18 Nov 2015

Yes bounce to disk bounces everything. As far as I know, unless you delete all tracks and leave just the one 4 or 8 bar or whatever clip present in your track there is no way of exporting a midi clip or audio clip singularly. Annoying. I agree, Propellerhead are so far behind Logic, FL Studio or Cubase etc. Before the Props get Reason up to their level it'll be Reason 10. When's that gonna be, 2017 if we're lucky.

motuscott

18 Nov 2015

You can export an audio clip singularly. See my post above.

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

motuscott wrote:You can export an audio clip singularly. See my post above.
Even quicker is to select the clip and use "Bounce Clip to Disk…"
Which is an even better example of why (for consistency's sake) Note Clips should also follow the same behavior IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

18 Nov 2015

Live & learn.
I tried to get Selig banned but he's too smart for the likes of me.

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

motuscott wrote:Live & learn.
I tried to get Selig banned but he's too smart for the likes of me.
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

18 Nov 2015

I never even noticed Bounce under the header Edit menu. Dang!

Creativemind

19 Nov 2015

All these posts bounce this and bounce that, I was talking midi primarily anyway. Bounce is render to audio isn't it.

motuscott

21 Nov 2015

Selig is referring to your original point, me not so much.

Creativemind

22 Nov 2015

What I'm saying though, is you can't export a single midi clip, say 4 or 8 bar clip out of reason to your desktop or memory stick. It's so aggravating. A 'Drag Out' feature would be awesome but then just add audio into the equation too.

Creativemind

22 Nov 2015

Ok, so you can bounce a midi file out of Reason in the Bounce Mixer Channels section in the File menu. I just drew in an 8 bar Thor sequence. It went to the end marker though, even though the clip was selected and the left / right locators were either side of the clip. I went back into the menu and changed Range To Bounce to 'Loop Left and Right Locator' but then midi wasn't available as an option. Arrrgh!

I am looking in the right place aren't I Selig? I can't see Bounce Clip To Disk?

Creativemind

22 Nov 2015

Ok, so I know what to do now. Move the end marker to the end of the midi clip and then use the start of song to end marker.

2 things though:-

1) If the clip I wanted to export as midi was somewhere in the middle of a 12 track song, and a different midi arrangement than the midi clip at the beginning of that track, I would have to move the clip I want to the beginning of that track, or create a different track and stick it in there as it won't let me use the left / right locators, only start of song to the end marker.

2) It creates a bounce folder with 2 files in it. Then you have to go through all the rigmarole of deleting files and such like.

Just let me drag the clip out or export the 1 clip lol!

ghv3

20 Jan 2016

I would like to just see a way to add midi clips to a favorites list (like you can organize patches in the browser), so I can build up my personal collection of short ideas and such. This could be done with the "export midi clip" right-click/file-menu option too.

gak

20 Jan 2016

Agreed

Been batch about that since I got into reason.

joeyluck

20 Jan 2016

selig wrote:
mbfrancis wrote:I use Bounce to Disk for audio clips all the time, especially for Melodyne. Would be nice to drag/drop, although it's not that slow now.
Agreed this process isn't a show stopper as is. But for overall consistency, and a more direct way of working, this would be great.

Imagine for example dragging your vocal track directly into melodyne, working on it, then dragging it right back into Reason! You'd never need to find the audio file and open it or remember where you saved it or what you named it. One can dream…
Allihoopa!

No? Is that not it?

gak

21 Jan 2016

Let's all hope for a good propellerhead day tomorrow!

Not holding my breath though.

bigguy1

23 May 2020

I would really appreciate dragging midi and audio clips out of reason. Now that EZbass is out, which can generate bass midi from other audio and midi clips ist would make the workflow much better.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

Euww, that's like 4 years ago. I think I asked for it too. Very useful in case you come up with an idea you want to use sometime int the future.

I have tried to find a VST that can record some midi notes and save it as a clip on the HD. Still looking...
Anybody know of such a thingy?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

27 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
18 Nov 2015
Yes bounce to disk bounces everything. As far as I know, unless you delete all tracks and leave just the one 4 or 8 bar or whatever clip present in your track there is no way of exporting a midi clip or audio clip singularly. Annoying. I agree, Propellerhead are so far behind Logic, FL Studio or Cubase etc. Before the Props get Reason up to their level it'll be Reason 10. When's that gonna be, 2017 if we're lucky.
How off the mark was I? try Reason 13 lol!

• Information