Share your story why you upgrade/buy Reason 11 as rack plugin ?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
taipeiwalkerhk
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2018

Post 20 May 2020

Hi,

Would you please share your story for the captioned/subject ? Like many other users, I have a primary DAW (my case Bitwig recently switched from Live 10) and I also got Reason 10. I d/l Reason 11 and it works pretty well in Bitwig.

However, I can't justify to upgrade by spending around $199 to Reason 11 suite just to use it as a plugin or FX. And I may not use Reason 11 as my DAW to make music alone where I found I loved the workflow of Bitwig so even though Suite comes with some nice REs/FXs but I will not just make songs within Reason 11 alone. So please let me know if you have a primary DAW (cubase, live, FLstudio you name it) how do you justify to buy/upgrade Reason 11 ? Appreciated you to share your story.

Cheers!
Cowby

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2548
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 20 May 2020

I'm not sure other peoples opinions are gonna help you out here. If you don't want to work in Reason and you don't think it's worth upgrading to R11 Suite just to use Reason as a plugin, then I think you just answered your own question.

For me the R11 Suite upgrade was totally worth it. Been having loads of fun with all that's included. I use Reason as my DAW btw. And the addition of Beatmap only made it better. I don't know if Beatmap is something that interests you at all. If it is then I'd say that kind of plugin is pretty unique to Reason.
Another perspective is to shift DAWs between Bitwig and Reason for some variation. Different tools usually creates different results. I'm sure both DAWs have their quilities. Does it have to be either or?

I don't know. Ultimately only you know what's gonna work for you.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2470
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 20 May 2020

yeah, it really depends on how you want to work. if you want/need lots of great instruments/plugins, Suite can be a great deal. if that sort of thing is secondary, you may as well save some money and not buy it.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7786
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 20 May 2020

Well, i do not use another DAW, so i wouldnt answere here, but i can tell you, that if you are looking for some semi modular system, with no limits, good fx, synths and a big bunch of sounds, you may get Reason. On top you get the DAW with pitch editor, can create Recycle loops and what ever...

Maybe just one note: For nearly everything you already can do i Reason, all other vendors/companies need to create extra stuff. Every fcking VST needs LFOs and such stuff, in Reason you already have everything and connect everything with everything, you have envelope followers, LFOs, generators, MIDI Players, you can route audio everywhere into everything, modulate the sh!t out of everything, you can even convert audio into CV and vice versa, you could also create sounds with CV if you like. And some synths like Grain alone are easily worth 100 bucks, nothing beats Grain out there and you have other great Synths like Parsec and Europa and so on... Just look for the phrase "you can already do it in Reason" in this forum or in the internet :-D

Well, a good offer IMO, even if you only want to use it in your rack. Sometimes you need to pay the 200 bucks just for 1(!) freaking synth or fx and this is a joke! Somtimes the ppl here forget how crazy cheap Reason really is.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

madmacman
Posts: 586
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 20 May 2020

It all comes down to the question: Do you work exclusively "in-the-box" or not? Which means: Does the Plus of plugins give you any benefit?

If the answer is "YES", then go for it! Forget about Reason as a DAW and enjoy all the RE's (and stock plugins) inside Bitwig.

If the answer is "NO", then there are another two options:
  • Is the "standard" version of R11 worth its upgrade price tag? Then go for R11 standard ($129 or less at some 3rd party vendors)
  • You cannot justify any further invest at all? Then stick with R10, try ReWire (I suppose Bitwig supports ReWire?) or use R10 for sound design. As Loque said: Grain is excellent - and you already have it. Create some nice loops and export them as stems.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 20 May 2020

Loque wrote:
20 May 2020
if you are looking for some semi modular system, with no limits, good fx, synths and a big bunch of sounds, you may get Reason.
He already has Reason 10 and is only wondering if it's worth to upgrade to 11 for Rack VST functionality :)
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tallrobphilp
Posts: 23
Joined: 30 May 2018

Post 20 May 2020

It was an easy decision for me. I bought the Reason 11 Suite upgrade from Reason 10 because although I really DON'T like the Reason sequencer, piano roll etc I think it's a very fun set of toys and a lot of fun for sound design. I use Bitwig as well and by using the VST inside Bitwig I get the best of both worlds. Bitwig has amazing modulation features, some great built-in FX and a very fast workflow for bouncing down to audio, chopping, slicing, manipulation etc. In the past I got overexcited and bought loads of RE devices which I didn't really use because I just couldn't get on board with Reason as a DAW, but now I've unlocked the value in all those devices and being able to build my own fun racks and composite synths etc is great.

One other thing - the players in Reason are really something special. Bitwig has some MIDI manipulation devices but these ones are a cut above and they're great for an idiot like me who has almost zero musical theory knowledge.

telecode101
Posts: 14
Joined: 28 Mar 2019

Post 20 May 2020

it would be great if Reason Studios had a detailed doc listing of what the sound content is that comes with Reason 11 Suite. Sort of like Steinberg with Cubase and even IKM with SampleTank,. I am still flipping back and forth on deciding do I want to get the suite. I sort of like the way the DAW and mixer work.

Also, does anyone know if there is a detailed doc or YT vid on how do you print a mix for mastering within Reason ?

taipeiwalkerhk
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2018

Post 21 May 2020

Quick one. Is the sales period until end of May and it is the best deal period which is even better than Black Friday ?

telecode101
Posts: 14
Joined: 28 Mar 2019

Post 21 May 2020

taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
21 May 2020
Quick one. Is the sales period until end of May and it is the best deal period which is even better than Black Friday ?
The Black Friday deal was $99 upgrade to Reason 10 std. My understanding is, Reason increased the price of the DAW with the release of 11. (I may be wrong).

taipeiwalkerhk
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2018

Post 21 May 2020

telecode101 wrote:
21 May 2020
taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
21 May 2020
Quick one. Is the sales period until end of May and it is the best deal period which is even better than Black Friday ?
The Black Friday deal was $99 upgrade to Reason 10 std. My understanding is, Reason increased the price of the DAW with the release of 11. (I may be wrong).
Thanks man, I should be more specific ... During Black Friday/Cyber Monday, do we still have 50% off of the REs

telecode101
Posts: 14
Joined: 28 Mar 2019

Post 21 May 2020

taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
21 May 2020
telecode101 wrote:
21 May 2020


The Black Friday deal was $99 upgrade to Reason 10 std. My understanding is, Reason increased the price of the DAW with the release of 11. (I may be wrong).
Thanks man, I should be more specific ... During Black Friday/Cyber Monday, do we still have 50% off of the REs
i dont know. i think there are more regular regulars more in the loop here than myself. they prbly need to answer

Goriila Texas
Posts: 615
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 21 May 2020

One little small (secret sauce)thing Reason does no other DAW does that was worth $129 You wouldn't believe how small but still worth $129. YOU have to play with it to decide if it's worth upgrading because what works for me might not work for you.

I upgraded for sound design options in plugin form with less cpu than rewire to answer your question.

teddymcw
Posts: 335
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 21 May 2020

telecode101 wrote:
21 May 2020
taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
21 May 2020


Thanks man, I should be more specific ... During Black Friday/Cyber Monday, do we still have 50% off of the REs
i dont know. i think there are more regular regulars more in the loop here than myself. they prbly need to answer
Ya the sales for Black Friday should be very comparable, if not slightly better, than what is offered now. One catch is that not every dev will put their stuff for sale each big sale to the next. Some like Kuassa seem to have big discounts every month or so in some place or another. It’s worth having a mental dashboard of what you’re really interested in and asking here again for ppl that keep track, many do. Cheers

EdGrip
Posts: 1946
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 21 May 2020

I upgraded from 9 to 11, skipping 10, and that bought me plenty of stuff even without the Rack Plugin.

In the meantime I bought a copy of Live 10 Suite and a Push 2 for a good price, and I've been enjoying the novelty and different philosophy and workflow of Live. I miss the easy and limitless intermodulation possibilities of Reason. Max 4 Live is cool but it's CPU hungry and no substitute for Reason in that regard (although some of the devices are super fun!).

But now I can use those Reason devices in Live! So the Rack Plugin came at a serendipitous moment for me.
Often if I just have some idea I want to try out, I'll open Reason, because I'm familiar with it. Glad to have version 11 - Europa and Grain are new to me, odd though that may sound now.

telecode101
Posts: 14
Joined: 28 Mar 2019

Post 21 May 2020

EdGrip wrote:
21 May 2020
I upgraded from 9 to 11, skipping 10, and that bought me plenty of stuff even without the Rack Plugin.

In the meantime I bought a copy of Live 10 Suite and a Push 2 for a good price, and I've been enjoying the novelty and different philosophy and workflow of Live. I miss the easy and limitless intermodulation possibilities of Reason. Max 4 Live is cool but it's CPU hungry and no substitute for Reason in that regard (although some of the devices are super fun!).

But now I can use those Reason devices in Live! So the Rack Plugin came at a serendipitous moment for me.
Often if I just have some idea I want to try out, I'll open Reason, because I'm familiar with it. Glad to have version 11 - Europa and Grain are new to me, odd though that may sound now.
What functionality of Reason is Max for Live comparable with?

EdGrip
Posts: 1946
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 21 May 2020

Modulating parameters, basically. But it's very limited. Much better in Bitwig, but you don't get the fun 3rd party devices in Bitwig.

Dave Beep
Posts: 27
Joined: 16 May 2020

Post 23 May 2020

I bought Reason 11 Suite as I had 9 for a while, wanted some new sound sources and seemed like a good way to get a few extra soft synths and stuff in one go, particularly as I am familiar with Reason and the routing etc, which helps with accessibility/learning curve.

The idea of being able to work in a tidy way with VST instead of ReWire within Ableton Live also appealed.

I didn't realise that they had dropped Rewire, so I'm a bit miffed about losing that option. It's a shame not to be able to create a simple part in Reason Standalone, and then later easily record it in to a Live clip with some on the fly tweaking etc.
telecode101 wrote:
20 May 2020
it would be great if Reason Studios had a detailed doc listing of what the sound content is that comes with Reason 11 Suite.
Yeah I thought this. To be honest though it's a bit misleading. The additional sounds/samples are basically just the content for the bundled sample-based instruments. Don't see any extra samples and loops outside of that. Suite is still worth it coming from Reason 9.

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 446
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Austin

Post 23 May 2020

Put the buss compressor and dynamics channel in other DAWs. I've considered for the longest time the DYN channel the best tool for side-chaining drums. No other compressor curves really did it for me like that. Second, Reason's Bus compressor is surprisingly similar to the Duality G Comp I used (both being very snappy with long release tails). The compression curve just works on rhythmic based music with minimum distortion and yada yada. The EQ channel is good too but at that point I might as well mix in Reason lmao
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Boog Model D | Follow me on Instagram

User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1287
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 23 May 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
23 May 2020
I bought Reason 11 Suite as I had 9 for a while, wanted some new sound sources and seemed like a good way to get a few extra soft synths and stuff in one go, particularly as I am familiar with Reason and the routing etc, which helps with accessibility/learning curve.

The idea of being able to work in a tidy way with VST instead of ReWire within Ableton Live also appealed.

I didn't realise that they had dropped Rewire, so I'm a bit miffed about losing that option. It's a shame not to be able to create a simple part in Reason Standalone, and then later easily record it in to a Live clip with some on the fly tweaking etc.
telecode101 wrote:
20 May 2020
it would be great if Reason Studios had a detailed doc listing of what the sound content is that comes with Reason 11 Suite.
Yeah I thought this. To be honest though it's a bit misleading. The additional sounds/samples are basically just the content for the bundled sample-based instruments. Don't see any extra samples and loops outside of that. Suite is still worth it coming from Reason 9.
Have you checked the manage content menu?
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 286
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 24 May 2020

telecode101 wrote:
21 May 2020

What functionality of Reason is Max for Live comparable with?
Everything and nothing. You can't really compare these two like that because Reason is basically a DAW whereas Max for Live is a visual programming environment embedded into Live.

Simply put: I can do anything in M4l which I can do in Reason but it'll take more effort because I'll have to build it myself. But it's most definitely doable, some years ago I build an Aligator mock up in M4l and it did a decent job. Not as good as the original but that was not because of a M4l limitation or something.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests