Retouch Control Note Repeat question.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

First I put NoteRepeat set to MIDI on top of a Kong. Then I set the octave switch on the back of Note Repeat to an Octave below so it's C0 to F#0 which triggers NoteRepeat to play the Bass Drum. The reason being that C0 to F#0 to don't actually play the pad in Kong which I believe is the idea behind this function being include.
If I then Record and press a few MIDI notes then they record on the note lane for Kong and the Bass Drum repeats accordingly.
If I add a Drum Sequencer to the stack with a pattern playing (Bass Drum included) and then trigger NoteRepeat I am in effect getting two Bass Drums triggered at the same time. One by Drum Sequencer and One by NoteRepeat.
I've tried creating a new track for NoteRepeat but the MIDI notes don't record in that. If I turn MIDI off and use my mouse on the x-y pad then those parameters record as expected..
I can't work out how to trigger the repeat by MIDI without the actual Bass Drum being recorded and me ending up with a double hit when using in conjunction with Drum Sequencer.
Hope you can understand from my description. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. Would be very grateful for any help. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

23 May 2020

Create a note track for combinator? Utilize combinator keyboard splits to decide what notes go where?
I'm not at computer now so I can't tinker but that's the kinda path I'd be heading down...

Bes
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

do you want the Drum Seq to play the kick only when the Note Repeat is not playing?
thats an interesting idea i might try to figure it out tomorrow as i don't have time right now
- Certified Reason expert

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

Bes wrote:
23 May 2020
do you want the Drum Seq to play the kick only when the Note Repeat is not playing?
thats an interesting idea i might try to figure it out tomorrow as i don't have time right now
Exactly. Kind of like a beat repeater. You understand what I mean with that double note right? Just some way to avoid that happening.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
23 May 2020
Create a note track for combinator? Utilize combinator keyboard splits to decide what notes go where?
I'm not at computer now so I can't tinker but that's the kinda path I'd be heading down...
Thanks for the suggestion man. I’m not so good at that sort of stuff to be honest and I reckon Bes might come up with something. :)

I just started revisiting Retouch Control players after a long break and I’ve got to say I’m really enjoying them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

23 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
23 May 2020
zoidkirb wrote:
23 May 2020
Thanks for the suggestion man. I’m not so good at that sort of stuff to be honest and I reckon Bes might come up with something. :)

I just started revisiting Retouch Control players after a long break and I’ve got to say I’m really enjoying them.
I used note repeat extensively on one song in the past and really liked it. I remember it's always a bit fiddly getting it to do exactly what you want. Part of that is that its the kind of device that inspires creative routing ideas.
I use gridN and morpher a lot too.
Great devices, not much talk about them or good tutorials around, and they kinda have their quirks.

Bes
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gunweqr6lhg5u ... e.zip?dl=0

2 methods here, the first uses DAD's One Note Stand and Enlightenspeed's Note Filter to block the signal of the kick when you trigger the Note Repeater. Method 2 just uses DAD's One Note Stand to change the destination of Drum Sequencers Channel 1 so that when you trigger Note Repeater the DS is playing G8 and switches back to C1 upon gate close

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

Bes wrote:
23 May 2020
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gunweqr6lhg5u ... e.zip?dl=0

2 methods here, the first uses DAD's One Note Stand and Enlightenspeed's Note Filter to block the signal of the kick when you trigger the Note Repeater. Method 2 just uses DAD's One Note Stand to change the destination of Drum Sequencers Channel 1 so that when you trigger Note Repeater the DS is playing G8 and switches back to C1 upon gate close
Thanks Bes. Much appreciated but I'm not sure either of them is working properly. Using either version if I change the patch on NoteRepeat it stops working. ie.No sound.
On the one without NoteFilter if I change the drum the note on NoteRepeat and then fill in the corresponding drum on all the notes in the lane on DrumSequencer and record I get a flanging sound. so basically that's only working on the bass drum and not any others. Messing with any of the other settings in Drum sequencer changing drums and triggered note in NoteRepeater cuts out the sound.
Maybe I'm using it wrong?
Last edited by MrFigg on 24 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

but was the patch i provided in its original state working the way you would like? make sure to check that the switch on the reverse of Note Repeat is set to C0 everytime you load a new patch

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

Bes wrote:
24 May 2020
but was the patch i provided in its original state working the way you would like? make sure to check that the switch on the reverse of Note Repeat is set to C0 everytime you load a new patch
I added a few more comments above No basically it's not. Sorry man...I really appreciate you taking the time but I can't get it working. I think NoteRepeat would need some sort of buffer which records the incoming signal for then mutes the signal from that particular note in drumseuqncer when the MIDI keys are pressed.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

I think the only workaround would be to have one Kong with NoteRepeat and one Kong with DrumSequencer. Record both and then go in on the DrumSequencer lane and delete the notes for the drum being triggered by NoteRepeat there.

Edit: Changing the NoteRepeat to C0 makes no difference. Changing patch on NoteRepeat still results in no sound :(.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

the combi patches i made up were very specific to only performing one action. that is forcing the Note Repeat player to replace channel 1 on the Drum Sequencer when activated by midi C0-F0. it is the combinator programmer that is doing the work, no doubt if you change any of the parameters there or elsewhere it could quite easily stop working as intended. check out the combi programmer page for the Drum Sequencer and notice the value change for Key1 (the bottom row of the Drum Sequencer) is switching between value 36 and 127 when it receives any gate information thanks to DAD's One Note Stand feeding its gate back into CV in 1. if this isn't making any sense then don't worry about it, i had fun putting the patch together :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

Bes wrote:
24 May 2020
the combi patches i made up were very specific to only performing one action. that is forcing the Note Repeat player to replace channel 1 on the Drum Sequencer when activated by midi C0-F0. it is the combinator programmer that is doing the work, no doubt if you change any of the parameters there or elsewhere it could quite easily stop working as intended. check out the combi programmer page for the Drum Sequencer and notice the value change for Key1 (the bottom row of the Drum Sequencer) is switching between value 36 and 127 when it receives any gate information thanks to DAD's One Note Stand feeding its gate back into CV in 1. if this isn't making any sense then don't worry about it, i had fun putting the patch together :)
I fiddled a bit with the combi pprogrammer and changed from Key1 to Key2 when trying to trigger the snare (2nd from bottom on the drum sequencer) but that didn't help either.
In any case thanks Bes. Appreciated. But I guess by that you mean there's not so much to do about the double hits other than the workaround I suggested above?
Last edited by MrFigg on 24 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

yea, i mean the patch definitely works here for me but we all have to create our own workarounds that we understand and if recording the two devices and using the reason sequencer to edit the notes you want then i love it. a lot of people will be making music that way every day

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

Bes wrote:
24 May 2020
yea, i mean the patch definitely works here for me but we all have to create our own workarounds that we understand and if recording the two devices and using the reason sequencer to edit the notes you want then i love it. a lot of people will be making music that way every day
Sure. I guess another idea would be to use NoteRepeat to record single snippets of different drums in their own tracks and the cut and paste them afterwards.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

yep everyone's got their own way of working :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2020

You know something Bes. I just realised I’ve been making this more complicated than it is. I don’t need to have say the hi hat running in DrumSequencer at all. I can just have NoteRepeat playing the hi hat instead at whatever intervals I want then fill in the bits between the bits. Maaaaan. Sorry. Don’t know why I missed that completely. Sorry hahaha. But Thankyou very much for taking the time.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information