Autosub by Forgotten Clank Studios now in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

20 May 2020

AFAIU Autosub is focused on generating specific harmonics in the low end AND keeps track of the overall gain of the signal, which might be important for the sub mixing. The Subtractor generates more harmonics, except you use some sine waves, which creates only the desired harmonics. In that case you wouldnt need a filter either. In my little understanding of that stuff...
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 May 2020

madmacman wrote:
20 May 2020
I did a quick comparison:

Subtractor --> MClass Comp --> Synapse AF-4 Lowpass --> MClass Maximizer

vs.

AutoSub
I'd like to point out three more differences that are not visible on the spectrum display and may make a difference to the perceived low-end:
  • The phase is not being altered because there is no filtering. All the partials are phase-aligned and the attack is not smeared.
  • Autosub has automatic gain compensation. When the filter cuts off part of the Subtractor patch, some volume is lost.
  • Autosub's adjustment of the partials' volume is not a simple lowpass filter but a little more complicated which may contribute to some notes being heard even better. I don't think it's possible to create a patch in any synth that matches this behaviour for every note.

madmacman

20 May 2020

Yes, probably I would get cleaner results with additive synthesis. This was just for "quick" test against my usual "how to" of creating sub synth voices somewhere in the past. The heavy compression is the approach to "level" the results independently from the played note.

@ForgottenClank

Absolutely - I didn't want to chime in with the usual "see, Reason already can do this". It was a mere comparison against my accustomed approach. And in fact, AutoSub did win! :)

aeox
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

edit: dev replied already

Zac

20 May 2020

Bought :D

Noiserunner

20 May 2020

Bought, too
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

The killer feature of Autosub (IMO) is that it add extra harmonics dependent on note played. Play a lower note and more harmonics are added, that way you can still hear it. Play a higher note and fever harmonics are added as the fundamental is higher up and easier to hear (you avoid too much buzz). Add the auto leveling thingy and that combination is the killer feature. Very hard to do with subtractive synth, but oh so useful.

The amount of time this can save in mixing/mastering if the sub isn't sitting right is worth a lot of hours saved...

If the developer is able to add a stereo spread of the harmonics (unison even, like a slightly de-tuned double and panned L/R) then it will have a low mono-sub fundamental and width on the harmonics creating a perceived fatness beyond belief. But even in its current state I dig this 100%.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MannequinRaces

20 May 2020

I’m intrigued by this device but if I’m not making booty shakin’ music so I need this? For example I normally do chiptune, indie rock, experimental electronic, crazy sound design, etc..

aeox
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
20 May 2020
I’m intrigued by this device but if I’m not making booty shakin’ music so I need this? For example I normally do chiptune, indie rock, experimental electronic, crazy sound design, etc..
It's good for anything :thumbs_up:

BedsitAudio

20 May 2020

I would have loved to be able to use the filters on my existing bass instruments. As a more tweakable alternative to A.R.T.'s "Bottom" preset.

Faastwalker

22 May 2020

FINALLY set some time aside to TRY. I like it. I like sub bass so it makes sense. But what is the 'filter' section doing? I don't hear any difference playing with the controls on this section! :?

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

22 May 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
22 May 2020
FINALLY set some time aside to TRY. I like it. I like sub bass so it makes sense. But what is the 'filter' section doing? I don't hear any difference playing with the controls on this section! :?
It depends on how you've set the filters and which notes you are playing. With all the faders down there won't be any difference whatsoever. But if you turn up any of the faders something will happen with low notes (more harmonics, less fundamental etc.).

Faastwalker

22 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
22 May 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
22 May 2020
It depends on how you've set the filters and which notes you are playing. With all the faders down there won't be any difference whatsoever. But if you turn up any of the faders something will happen with low notes (more harmonics, less fundamental etc.).
Got it. I'm tempted to buy it just for the GUI ......... and I love sub bass :D

Kalm

22 May 2020

Just bought it. Just in time for a direct purpose that I've been going nuts about lol
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

BRIGGS

25 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
22 May 2020
Just bought it. Just in time for a direct purpose that I've been going nuts about lol
Same here. It solves many problems. :puf_smile:
r11s

antic604

25 May 2020

So, have the shadows under knobs & faders been fixed yet?

EDIT: Oh, they were!!! Buying today :thumbs_up: :clap:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

30 Jun 2020

Quick info: Version 1.2 is now available for free which introduces Polyphony and a new "Release ASAP" mode.

PhillipOrdonez

30 Jun 2020

Thank you Forgotten Clank! I don't know if I'll ever use polyphony, but will try the release ASAP mode :)

Zac

30 Jun 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
30 Jun 2020
Quick info: Version 1.2 is now available for free which introduces Polyphony and a new "Release ASAP" mode.
Thanks, look forward to the update

Sterioevo

30 Jun 2020

As per a previous post, I can report back that the Autosub provides excellent sub response on a small PA system with dedicated subs (2 x JBL PRX 618xlf & 615's). I would even go so far as to state that levels need to be managed when used in conjunction with more traditional music (acoustic guitars, drums and bass) as it is possible to absolutely dominate and overpower the bottom end without adversely affecting the mids and upwards.
My tests involved combining a Autosub with a fender precision bass, by printing the bass recordings to midi and crossing over at around 150hz. The Autosub was nicely present in the mix in the isolated top speakers (I think the pa crosses over at 100hz). I did however need to manage the bottom end levels when introducing the subs as the Autosub was overpowering down there, especially as compared to the dry bass recordings.
The takeaway for me being that you really need a good overall (sub and tops) monitoring environment with the Autosub, which comes as no surprise...
I also played some more bass music focused stuff and the results were more than pleasing - some serious air pushing, full and satisfying.
Autosub delivers in spades (I won't bring up the conforming feature shrink).
Now there is some new feature to check out...

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

06 Jul 2020

A really inconvenient bug has slipped through where you can't really use the filter section. Unfortunately, I am currently on holiday but will fix it ASAP when I get back.

For the time being, I would advise against updating to v1.2. Sorry!

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

17 Jul 2020

v1.3 is available now and should work properly!

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jul 2020

Can't wait to try soon!

Ottostrom

18 Jul 2020

Can confirm that it is behaving like normal again :thumbs_up:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

18 Jul 2020

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Jul 2020
Can confirm that it is behaving like normal again :thumbs_up:
Great to hear, thanks for reporting back!

• Information