Is there a free DrOctorex alternative?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Mistro17

22 May 2020

I really want to use DrOctorex to chop up some loops but I can't until I get a new keyboard (my control knobs and faders are ghosting affecting this device). In the mean time, I'm wondering if there's a free alternative until I get my controller situation sorted. Any suggestions is appreciated.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
22 May 2020
I really want to use DrOctorex to chop up some loops but I can't until I get a new keyboard (my control knobs and faders are ghosting affecting this device). In the mean time, I'm wondering if there's a free alternative until I get my controller situation sorted. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Maybe this:
https://pongasoft.com/vst/SAM-SPL64.html#release-notes
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

https://www.fxpansion.com/products/geist2/

https://serato.com/sample

these are two different beast but both have their strengths.

Geist2 has a free Lite version!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

VIVIsect

22 May 2020

Check out Momentum from Big Fish Audio:

https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

There is also https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html but I don't recomment it, it's a bit clunky and ultimately a platform to sell samples.

Edit: it seems like VIVIsect was faster :D
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

danc

22 May 2020

diminished wrote:
22 May 2020
There is also https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html but I don't recomment it, it's a bit clunky and ultimately a platform to sell samples.

Edit: it seems like VIVIsect was faster :D
I use Momentum and after learning what seemed like odd UX... I actually find it quick and easy to use. Plus it has some useful FX you can throw at each clip.

Also look at Sugar Bytes Egoist - which can be fun with chopping up loops.
Check my Soundcloud:

Jackjackdaw

22 May 2020

I dont really get the issue. Why would a broken keyboard work better on a different instrument? It will still be broken.

WarStar

22 May 2020

Unless I'm missing something but you don't really cut samples in OctoRex but rather trigger/launch them... right? Plus any sample used in OctoRex needs to be a rex file..

You can always cut samples using the sequencer and the left and right markers and save as loop.. this is how I do it.. plus you can use NNXT to play your cut samples without the need of a rex file.. just an idea and it's free lol

Mistro17

22 May 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 May 2020
I dont really get the issue. Why would a broken keyboard work better on a different instrument? It will still be broken.

The vast majority of my vst and stock instruments work except a few because my Akai MPK49 have preset control over some devices. When I load up a DrOctorex and run it, you can see the filter knobs and other parameters moving without my input causing the loop to go very low or silent after about 20 seconds. I confirmed this yesterday by playing with the knobs and faders on the Akai. There's some kind of glitch goin on in the board most likely causing the ghost signals. This is also affecting Europa, Thor and NN-XT for me so I need a new keyboard. Other than that, the keys work just fine. I wish I can disable everything but the keyboard.
WarStar wrote:
22 May 2020
Unless I'm missing something but you don't really cut samples in OctoRex but rather trigger/launch them... right? Plus any sample used in OctoRex needs to be a rex file..

You can always cut samples using the sequencer and the left and right markers and save as loop.. this is how I do it.. plus you can use NNXT to play your cut samples without the need of a rex file.. just an idea and it's free lol
It's been a long while since I used DrOctorex and now that you mention it, I do remember using recycle.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I grabbed Momentum and have it installed. But now to figure out how to get my WAV files in there. Or is there any special preparation that have to be done to WAV files before loading them in? I'm trying to drag some of my existing sounds and loops (wav and one I made with recycle many years ago) and nothing seems to stick.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
22 May 2020

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I grabbed Momentum and have it installed. But now to figure out how to get my WAV files in there. Or is there any special preparation that have to be done to WAV files before loading them in? I'm trying to drag some of my existing sounds and loops (wav and one I made with recycle many years ago) and nothing seems to stick.
You need to be on the right page or tab.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

22 May 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
22 May 2020

The vast majority of my vst and stock instruments work except a few because my Akai MPK49 have preset control over some devices. When I load up a DrOctorex and run it, you can see the filter knobs and other parameters moving without my input causing the loop to go very low or silent after about 20 seconds. I confirmed this yesterday by playing with the knobs and faders on the Akai. There's some kind of glitch goin on in the board most likely causing the ghost signals. This is also affecting Europa, Thor and NN-XT for me so I need a new keyboard. Other than that, the keys work just fine. I wish I can disable everything but the keyboard.
You are solving the wrong problem.
Your problem is that your keyboard is broken. Fix or replace the keyboard.

Mistro17

22 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
22 May 2020

Edited
The keyboard I have my eye on cost around $400 which I can't do right now. I'm also doing research to pick a good one that will not have this issue as much over time. Gonna be a little while before I get a new one.
Last edited by Mistro17 on 22 May 2020, edited 2 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

22 May 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
22 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
22 May 2020

You should read my original post carefully.
You could have typed the reason in the time it took you to tell them to read your original post, LOL!
As for your controller, did you try moving the controls back and forth a few times ("exercising" them)? That usually clears them up, which lets you work until you get a new one.
You can also put Dr Octarex in a Combinator and use it that way easily enough, which will allow notes but not controller data to get through.
Selig Audio, LLC

Mistro17

22 May 2020

selig wrote:
22 May 2020
Mistro17 wrote:
22 May 2020

You should read my original post carefully.
You could have typed the reason in the time it took you to tell them to read your original post, LOL!
As for your controller, did you try moving the controls back and forth a few times ("exercising" them)? That usually clears them up, which lets you work until you get a new one.
You can also put Dr Octarex in a Combinator and use it that way easily enough, which will allow notes but not controller data to get through.
Yeah, I thought of that after submitting my original short response.

I did try moving the faders and knobs back and forth many times and it didn't help. This keyboard was purchased back in 2004 and collected a lot of dust over the years. My friend who bought it gave it to me in 2017 when I got Reason 9. So I'm not surprised it have some issues. Gonna try the combinater thing. I didn't know that.

Mistro17

22 May 2020

UPDATE

Looks like I don't need any alternatives after all. Thanks to selig I'm using all my instruments with no issues again. I wish I knew about the combinator thing earlier. I will be doing it this way until I get a new keyboard. Thanks. I'm still digging into Momentum though. Seems like a great thing to play with. We learn every day.

• Information