Learning synth programming - no piano skills

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Social Exodus

21 May 2020

I am truly wanting to learn to program synths since my fretting thumb is basically shot and I have a hard time playing my guitar anymore. I have basic understanding of piano, and the linear keyboard structure, plus a solid grasp on chord structure (1-3-5 = M, 1, 3b, 5 = m, etc) and can find these on a keyboard, especially in the key of C (duh). But I am definitely NOT a piano player by any stretch.

So my question is how much skill would I need to get into programming and playing basic synth lines? I can bang through some things easily enough, but I play one handed since my left hand might as well be a club on a keyboard at this point. I am also 61 and arthritic...so am I hopelessly tied to tinkering? I plan to take the free course at syntorial to shore up what I do know about oscillators, filters, modulators and envelopes -- which is actually pretty far along in the technical sense -- just not in the musical sense so much.

Thoughts? Advice?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Loque

21 May 2020

Synth programming is a differnt thing than playing. Both can be learned.

SInce you already played an instrument and have a rythmik fealing, playing a synth/paino shouldnt be that hard. But for fluid playing, you should have healthy fingers and stuff. Maybe some Players can help you, like
* Scales&Chord
* https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... e-monitor/
* https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -detector/

Synths programming can always be done, even with only one hand. Or just browse the patches and tweak them a little bit.
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2020

Programming synths doesnt need to be about playing the piano it can be about painting with sound. I am an experienced guitar player, i know about music but i intentionally approach synths while leaving theory at the door so i can sculpt the sound in creative ways.

Social Exodus

21 May 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 May 2020
Programming synths doesnt need to be about playing the piano it can be about painting with sound. I am an experienced guitar player, i know about music but i intentionally approach synths while leaving theory at the door so i can sculpt the sound in creative ways.
Great advice, thanks. 'Cause this ain't guitar lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

rogfrich

21 May 2020

I'm also a guitarist first and foremost. I do a lot of midi sequencing in the piano roll, or with drum sequencers. I find I approach it completely differently than playing the guitar - less organic and more cerebral. My programmed music always sounds more "grid-like" and rigid.

If you're trying to program realistic sounding instruments, then the key is to think like a player of that instrument. A drummer has four limbs (unless they're in Def Leppard) so they can play four hits only at once. They can't play an open hi-hat and a closed hi-hat at the same time. That kind of thing. Of course, if you're not shooting for realism, that's not an issue and you can go wild.

motuscott

21 May 2020

I'm ancient as well.
Synth programming/understanding has nothing to do with physicality. You have nothing stopping you from this.
As far as responding to physical decline, welcome to the club captain, take a number
Hope that's not too harsh. Everything ages... just not necessarily well. This one's on you.
Yes, I'm an asshole, but I may have a year or two more experience at it than your average Reasontalker.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Social Exodus

22 May 2020

motuscott wrote:
21 May 2020
I'm ancient as well.
Synth programming/understanding has nothing to do with physicality. You have nothing stopping you from this.
As far as responding to physical decline, welcome to the club captain, take a number
Hope that's not too harsh. Everything ages... just not necessarily well. This one's on you.
Yes, I'm an asshole, but I may have a year or two more experience at it than your average Reasontalker.
I have thick skin (military retiree) lol

This particular ache and pain showed up just this year along with COVID. Quite a joy.

You're not an asshole, you're a curmudgeon. Embrace it lol

Thanks for the thoughts 😉

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

motuscott

22 May 2020

Thanks for talking me down.
Not joking.

DougalDarkly

22 May 2020

I suffer from Arthritis too, especially in my knuckles, so even using a mouse can be painful at times, let alone playing for a couple of hours - I say embrace the sequencer!

You can click stuff in on the piano roll, one note at a time, step-sequence using one of the cool players, even getting some of them to come up with the 'fiddly bits' for you.

I take advantage of all these methods to save my fingers from doing ALL the work - AND I still like 'playing it in' a lot too - again, sequencing is your friend here - slow it down, play in the fiddly bit (loaded with all that juicy human expression) then speed it back up again - virtuoso status maintained!

Good luck!

motuscott

22 May 2020

Step Note Recorder is on sale.
Punch it in.
Let God sort out the details later...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

Social Exodus,

I know a lot of people composing with a mouse and keyboard. For live stuff you need some dexterity so you might have some problem but for ongoing work even a mouse can suffice.

That being said, if you still feel comfortable with your strongest hand, maybe you can invest in a small unweighted keyboard, so that it doesn't put more stress on your fingers, and pulse. The important thing now is a balance between not being completely stopped and doing stuff that won't hurt you more.

And remember everybody has limitations. Mine are my eyes, I was born almost blind from my left eye and am completely near sighted from tiredness in the right one... This guys all asking for high-res and what i needed was bigger buttons!!!

Oh well...

Good Luck, man!

• Information