Sample and Hold - Experiment

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MDelaney

21 May 2020

I've been a long time fiddler in Reason, but just joined the forum and using Reason 10, and I recently watched a documentary that focused on the ARP 2600 and specifically delved into Pete Towshends use of it on a couple of Who tracks.

So while in quarantine, I thought it would be fun to try and run my guitar into Reason and see if Reason has the same/similar tools to produce the same effect.

The two tracks I am focused on are The Relay, and Who are You - I've started with the Relay- playing a basic chord progression of the song into an audio track and then I''ve tried Thor, Malstrom, and kind of hit a dead end.. so I went back to look online for more info on what exactly Pete was doing. On the Relay, he feeds his guitar output into the 2600's VCF. Then using the sample and hold function, the output is connected to the VCF which automatically turns the frequency of the filter to different random positions in a rhythmic style.

So with that information in hand, I figured I needed a VCF - so I downloaded the free Modrack VCF - I can sort of hear the sound I am looking for when turning the frequency knob, but I'm looking for something to control/randomize the Frequency knob values. I tried to see if you could hook up the matrix pattern sequencer - but I couldn't get that to work.

So it seems like I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get the sample and hold functionality to control the VCF frequency dial - or I'm looking at this all wrong in the first place?

I'm sure my whole line of questioning is going to expose how much I really dont know what I'm doing here, but anyone have any thoughts on things to try, I would love to hear.

Thanks

selig
RE Developer

21 May 2020

One quick and easy way is to use Thor and it's Filter 3, and use the step sequencer (CV1) set to play the steps in random order, and set the steps up to have a good spread of setting from the highest to the lowest that sound good to you. You'll have to use the mod matrix to route the guitar through the filter, but it's pretty straight forward. Ask here if it's not clear what I'm describing!
Selig Audio, LLC

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2020

If you want random you can use Pulsar LFO, set it to stepped random and then run the cv output to control the filter frequency in Modrack VCF

MDelaney

22 May 2020

selig wrote:
21 May 2020
One quick and easy way is to use Thor and it's Filter 3, and use the step sequencer (CV1) set to play the steps in random order, and set the steps up to have a good spread of setting from the highest to the lowest that sound good to you. You'll have to use the mod matrix to route the guitar through the filter, but it's pretty straight forward. Ask here if it's not clear what I'm describing!
This seems like it has some good potential. I have the guitar wired through Filter 3, and I can turn the frequency knob on Filter 3 to hear the different sounds I want to hear, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use the step sequencer to vary the frequency on Filter 3? Is that even possible. Ideally, each knob on the step sequencer would be set to a different frequency and then I could just use the random setting...

selig
RE Developer

22 May 2020

MDelaney wrote:
22 May 2020
selig wrote:
21 May 2020
This seems like it has some good potential. I have the guitar wired through Filter 3, and I can turn the frequency knob on Filter 3 to hear the different sounds I want to hear, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use the step sequencer to vary the frequency on Filter 3? Is that even possible. Ideally, each knob on the step sequencer would be set to a different frequency and then I could just use the random setting...
Yup - Use either Curve 1 or 2 (or anything really), then use the mod matrix to route it to Filter 3 Frequency. Set the EDIT knob in the step sequencer to the track you're using, let's say Curve 1, then right click anywhere not on a knob (but still on Thor), and choose "Randomize Pattern" from down near the bottom of the pop up list. Finally, select the "Direction" to Random and Bob's your uncle! ;)
[Run Mode should be Repeat, select the desired Rate, adjust mod matrix "amount" and Filter 3 Frequency knob to taste!
Take it even further by adding LFO 2 as the "Scale" source in the mod matrix, amount 100, and setup LFO 2 with Tempo Sync and same rate as step sequencer, choosing the random or slow random waveform - this will further randomize the results! Of course you can simply route LFO 2 to Filter three set on the Random waveform for an even quicker solution (why didn't I think of that first?!?).]
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information