New Double Dry/Wet RE by Andrew Russell

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Bes
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2020

Welcome New RE Developer Andrew Russell

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... le-drywet/

Simplify your parallel processing with this one easy-to-use device.

Use as your go-to signal mixer for fast fine-tuning. Open up exciting creative possibilities!

Product details
Chiefly designed for parallel processing: split your audio signal into multiple paths, apply different effects, then mix those signals back together in perfect balance. If you’ve never tried parallel processing, here are some examples:

Try adding distortion your instrument, but apply reverb to the unprocessed signal
Apply multiple distortion effects, then mix towards the best sound
Make a cleaner delay + reverb by putting them in parallel
Do parallel (New York) compression – try it with double compressors (New New York?)
Double Dry/Wet makes it easy to create and play with parallel effects, without the fuss of matching levels on a regular mixer.

Thanks to its clever design, Double Dry/Wet can also fill in when you need a quick 1U signal-mixing device. The user manual gives recipes for configuring Double Dry/Wet as:

Dual Parallel Dry/Wet Control
Dual Serial Dry/Wet Control
Crossfader (linear or constant power)
5x Audio Splitter
Up to 3x Audio Merger
2-Channel Mixer
Gain Control from -∞ up to 18 dB
Chain multiple copies of Double Dry/Wet together for even greater possibilities!
Last edited by Bes on 24 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
- Certified Reason expert

Loque

24 Feb 2020

Cool idea. How does it compare to SPEM?
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2020

i really like the simple design of this one. the SPEM interface was too busy for me

also one of the best layed out manuals i've looked through in a while :thumbs_up:

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Feb 2020

What about FX delay compensation? Does it assume FXs to be instant and compensate only for one 64-sample batch?

EDIT: Just trialed it, no compensation. Simply wiring Send to Return directly gives a COMB+ filter effect. Inserting a polarity invertor between Send and Return gives a COMB- filter.

That's the inherent problem with the Send/Return scheme - the mixer cannot know the delay an FX will introduce. The host (Reason) does know that and can compensate, so a Dry/Wet mixer should generally be built as a combination of a separate splitter, an FX, and an A/B mixer.

This RE can add a switch to compensate for the most common scenario of a zero delay FX like a simple EQ or a compressor.

Zac

24 Feb 2020

I'm glad to see this. I have been using the key in combinator in the fsb utilities folder and replacing the eq with whatever device I want to use.

I will try this and see if it provides enough benefits over the combi. As reported above, latency compensation is always an issue and if a device like this can find a way to help with that either by manually reporting or somehow compensating via using a sample delay that device would be incredibly useful to me. And the moon on a stick would be compensating for variable delay ;)

Biolumin3sc3nt

24 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
24 Feb 2020
What about FX delay compensation? Does it assume FXs to be instant and compensate only for one 64-sample batch?

EDIT: Just trialed it, no compensation. Simply wiring Send to Return directly gives a COMB+ filter effect. Inserting a polarity invertor between Send and Return gives a COMB- filter.

That's the inherent problem with the Send/Return scheme - the mixer cannot know the delay an FX will introduce. The host (Reason) does know that and can compensate, so a Dry/Wet mixer should generally be built as a combination of a separate splitter, an FX, and an A/B mixer.

This RE can add a switch to compensate for the most common scenario of a zero delay FX like a simple EQ or a compressor.
Yeah, that makes sense tho

challism

26 Feb 2020

Does this bring anything new to the table? For $15, it seems like you can easily get the same results by using an audio splitter and three instances of GroovyMelon's Crossfader, thrown in a Combi with the rotary knobs routed to the crossfaders. Am I missing something, other than this being more convenient than putting together a Combi?

I suppose delay compensation can be manually achieved by using the free RE "VMG-01" chained in the signal.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 Feb 2020
Does this bring anything new to the table? For $15, it seems like you can easily get the same results by using an audio splitter and three instances of GroovyMelon's Crossfader, thrown in a Combi with the rotary knobs routed to the crossfaders. Am I missing something, other than this being more convenient than putting together a Combi?

I suppose delay compensation can be manually achieved by using the free RE "VMG-01" chained in the signal.
Was wondering the same thing about bringing anything new. Since that RE was released there’s been another two added to the shop and (and I may be wrong) there’s nothing new they bring to the table either. Also, as yet, there hasn’t been any mention or discussion of them here in the forum and that can’t be a good sign. Can it? I don’t mean to put any developers down. I’m glad they’re putting the time in but as far as I can see those particular REs do stuff which already exists. Here’s the link to the devices.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... %20Russell
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Sterioevo

12 May 2020

Happy customer here.
Simple, quick and effective.
Tried it, straight away knew it is something that will be very productive.
Bought.

bieh

20 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
12 May 2020
challism wrote:
26 Feb 2020

Was wondering the same thing about bringing anything new. Since that RE was released there’s been another two added to the shop and (and I may be wrong) there’s nothing new they bring to the table either. Also, as yet, there hasn’t been any mention or discussion of them here in the forum and that can’t be a good sign. Can it? I don’t mean to put any developers down. I’m glad they’re putting the time in but as far as I can see those particular REs do stuff which already exists. Here’s the link to the devices.

I think Denote and Velocity Curve both bring something new. Denote has individual note muting that other devices lack, and detects drum gates that don't show up at all on Selig Note View. Velocity Curve has more and better controls than MIDI Compressor, and, I feel, a better look and better use of rack space.

Andrew Russell

22 May 2020

orthodox wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Hi everyone. I just want to say thanks for the feedback.

You're totally right about the delay problem. Big oversight on my part :oops:. I'll see what I can do in an update.

motuscott

22 May 2020

Double New York compression = New York, New York

I got a million of 'em...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

22 May 2020

bieh wrote:
20 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
12 May 2020

I think Denote and Velocity Curve both bring something new. Denote has individual note muting that other devices lack, and detects drum gates that don't show up at all on Selig Note View. Velocity Curve has more and better controls than MIDI Compressor, and, I feel, a better look and better use of rack space.
I agree that those two bring something new, or at least a different approach. I have Denote (thanks for the free gift, Andrew) and I love it. It's a very helpful tool. It is great for muting entire sections/ranges of notes you don't want. And it's a nice note viewer too. Velocity Curve looks really good, too, and I'm considering it during the MM sale. I like the GUI of both of those, they look great.

That being said, this thread is about the Double Wet/Dry RE. That is what my comment was about, not the other two REs you mentioned, bieh. I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about. Welcome to the RT forum, btw.
motuscott wrote:
22 May 2020

bwah ha ha ha! You have a million? Give us some more, then.

bieh

22 May 2020

Sorry to post further on a secondary aspects of this thread, but I've realised that to be fair on Selig I should clarify my earlier post by saying that I don't mean all drum gates don't show up on Selig Note View, nor that I think it's necessarily a bug. It happens only in limited circumstances with certain types of devices connected, and I'd have to test that again to remind myself what they are.

Andrew Russell

11 Jun 2020

Now updated to version 2.0

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I've released an update to Double Dry/Wet. (Blog post.)

This fixes some, but not all, of the issues raised here about delay compensation. This turned out to be more complex than I was expecting, so I wrote a blog post about it here. I'm working on a separate device that will address remaining issues with parallel signal offsets, but VMG-01 will also work for you in a pinch.

This update also adds CV control, which I'd encourage everyone to check out. Connecting this up to an ADSR or LFO can give you some truly fantastic sounds. It's a really tiny feature, but it makes a huge difference to what you can do with the device, and so I'm really excited about it.

I'd be keen to hear what people are doing with it, and for any other feedback. Thanks again everyone for your support.

selig
RE Developer

11 Jun 2020

bieh wrote:
22 May 2020
Sorry to post further on a secondary aspects of this thread, but I've realised that to be fair on Selig I should clarify my earlier post by saying that I don't mean all drum gates don't show up on Selig Note View, nor that I think it's necessarily a bug. It happens only in limited circumstances with certain types of devices connected, and I'd have to test that again to remind myself what they are.
On the contrary, I consider this a service - you didn't have to take the time to do this, and it helps not only me but also all the folks who use NoteView! I consider this a potential bug and will test it myself to see if I can clear it up, and of course I appreciate any confirmations from the field. :)
[EDIT: seems the drum sequencer causes occasional "missed" notes in the display - will dig into it. And apologies to Andrew for hijacking his excellent thread!]
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

11 Jun 2020

motuscott wrote:
22 May 2020

Or "Detroit, Detroit" aka Motown Compression - Bob Olhsson (Motown, mastering engineer guru) has mentioned they were using this technique in the 1960s:
"Mike McLean actually got the idea from a classical music technique used by DGG and Lawrence adapted it. At the time the best limiter we had was a Fairchild 670 which sounded pretty funky on vocals. We also were recording lead vocals on track one of our 8-tracks because dealing with the lack of HF response and hum did less harm to vocals than other things. The bass went on track 8 for the same reason. After we went 16 track which had a flat response on all the tracks, we pretty much dropped that technique in favor of just using an LA-2A or an Electrodyne compressor. I continued using parallel compression for tracking vocals without Lawrence's eq. or the noise gate that Bob Dennis didn't mention in his article."
From this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... -quot.html
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

11 Jun 2020

Andrew Russell wrote:
11 Jun 2020

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I've released an update to Double Dry/Wet. (Blog post.)

This fixes some, but not all, of the issues raised here about delay compensation. This turned out to be more complex than I was expecting, so I wrote a blog post about it here. I'm working on a separate device that will address remaining issues with parallel signal offsets, but VMG-01 will also work for you in a pinch.

This update also adds CV control, which I'd encourage everyone to check out. Connecting this up to an ADSR or LFO can give you some truly fantastic sounds. It's a really tiny feature, but it makes a huge difference to what you can do with the device, and so I'm really excited about it.

I'd be keen to hear what people are doing with it, and for any other feedback. Thanks again everyone for your support.
Hey Andrew! Welcome aboard. I'm just demoing this but I'll absolutely pick it up. Super useful for sound design. Nice presentation too and awesome to see you responding so quickly to user feedback. Congrats!

Zac

11 Jun 2020

Andrew Russell wrote:
11 Jun 2020

Nice update and blog post. I look forward to the new device and picking this one up.

challism

17 May 2022

I thought I would bump this thread during MM...
I have finally tried this device while it's on sale for $9. I wanted to amend my earlier statement when I was questioning how this device is different than using a couple of Groovy Melons.

The big difference to me, and what sets Double Dry/Wet (DD/W) apart is that it acts like an audio splitter. The dry signal runs into DD/W's input and then it has 2 "channels" for insert effects. To do the same ting with a couple of Groovy Melons would be complicated. This device makes it easier. Verdict: Both devices are great!

I'm going to buy DD/W during MM.

PhillipOrdonez

17 May 2022

Wow sterioevo was banned? What did he do? 😱

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 May 2022

challism wrote:
17 May 2022
I thought I would bump this thread during MM...
I have finally tried this device while it's on sale for $9. I wanted to amend my earlier statement when I was questioning how this device is different than using a couple of Groovy Melons.

The big difference to me, and what sets Double Dry/Wet (DD/W) apart is that it acts like an audio splitter. The dry signal runs into DD/W's input and then it has 2 "channels" for insert effects. To do the same ting with a couple of Groovy Melons would be complicated. This device makes it easier. Verdict: Both devices are great!

I'm going to buy DD/W during MM.
If I remember correctly there’s a problem with latency which causes phasing.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

17 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
17 May 2022

Thanks for pointing that out. I see that earlier in this thread now. Hmmm bummer. I wonder if Andrew is going to continue his attempts to fix this. Device has been out for a while now. I only tried it for a few minutes and thought I would buy it. Now I'm not so sure.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 May 2022
Wow sterioevo was banned? What did he do? 😱
I don't know. Looking into it.

Bes
Competition Winner

17 May 2022

challism wrote:
17 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
17 May 2022

Thanks for pointing that out. I see that earlier in this thread now. Hmmm bummer. I wonder if Andrew is going to continue his attempts to fix this. Device has been out for a while now. I only tried it for a few minutes and thought I would buy it. Now I'm not so sure.
New in Version 2.0:
- CV control
- Internal delay compensation

my thoughts were that the phase issue was fixed with update 2.0 but can't confirm

challism

17 May 2022

Bes wrote:
17 May 2022
challism wrote:
17 May 2022

New in Version 2.0:
- CV control
- Internal delay compensation

my thoughts were that the phase issue was fixed with update 2.0 but can't confirm
I'm running it through the tests trying to find phasing.
This setup seems to be causing a lot of phasing for some strange reason. ;)
phasing.JPG
phasing.JPG (100.48 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

• Information