What type of synthesis is this?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

10 Apr 2020

Does that type of synthesis have a name, where you place two or more wave cycles next to each-other (kind of like the Thermal RE)?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

10 Apr 2020

RobC wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Does that type of synthesis have a name, where you place two or more wave cycles next to each-other (kind of like the Thermal RE)?
Looks to be some sort of wavetable synthesis - if the description is accurate, then it's actually a kind of pseudo-graintable, not a million miles away from what Malstrom does.

RobC

10 Apr 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
10 Apr 2020
RobC wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Looks to be some sort of wavetable synthesis - if the description is accurate, then it's actually a kind of pseudo-graintable, not a million miles away from what Malstrom does.
Thermal seems to work like you describe, but doesn't exactly sound like what I said. I could be wrong though.

See, I did a bit of testing today. I, too had this serial waveform cycle idea in mind, but never got around trying it. I rendered two sawtooth waves, where the second one of them is an octave lower and tuned 25 cents up. I edited out a cycle of each, then paired them up. The wave length isn't changed in this case. Everything is so to say, 'raw'.
It's kind of interesting what sounds can come out like this, with pairing sounds up, instead of mixing, though I'm sure there are more efficient ways than doing everything manually.

Here's the test cycle (it's like a partial). Needs to be put in a sampler, then looped forward. Or forward-backward. Tuning could be problematic, it seems, but who says it can't be useful for creating SFX and alike. Though the Fwd-Bwd loop seems to tune it again.

thedjjudah

27 Apr 2020

I haven’t checked out thermal, Although what you said sounds like phase modulation. The PM Oscillator in Thor does this.

RobC

22 May 2020

thedjjudah wrote:
27 Apr 2020
I haven’t checked out thermal, Although what you said sounds like phase modulation. The PM Oscillator in Thor does this.
Aw, dang it, I really should check out these synthesis types more deeply, instead of my usual mentality of "No subtractor-like FM and phase offset modulation? Then no thank you *butthurt*".

That said, while they say it's Casio's earlier "cheap digital synthesis", I think it can do some really cool things! They really could name synthesis types more simply though. Phase Modulation doesn't really tell me, that it's pretty much a couple of 'serial oscillators'.

Nevertheless, I'm always thrilled when I not only discover, but actually also easily understand an additional type of synthesis. The more synthesizing possibilities, the better! Gotta catch em all! (No, I actually never played pokemon. x D)

Thanks!

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2020

PD is completely accurate in description. FM was a big old fibbedy fib as it was always PD as literal FM is a ghastly sounding thing. Try it yourself in Thor using just a pair of Analog OSC and in the Mod Matrix: OSC 2 > OSC 1 Freq

As for the OP, that is a simple form of Wave Sequencing synthesis. Nothing really different from Analog except if you chain wave cycles together they drop in freq. Again, you can try that in Thor only instead of layering two Analog OSC, grab one PD Osc, and switch in the 2nd waveform so you have two different shapes and you'll hear the octave seem to drop.

Later wave sequencers like Korg Wavestation worked out how to play one wave after another instead of making them into one waveform (that get longer & longer, therefore, deeper & deeper)

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TheDragonborg

25 May 2020

Benedict wrote:
25 May 2020
PD is completely accurate in description. FM was a big old fibbedy fib as it was always PD as literal FM is a ghastly sounding thing. Try it yourself in Thor using just a pair of Analog OSC and in the Mod Matrix: OSC 2 > OSC 1 Freq

As for the OP, that is a simple form of Wave Sequencing synthesis. Nothing really different from Analog except if you chain wave cycles together they drop in freq. Again, you can try that in Thor only instead of layering two Analog OSC, grab one PD Osc, and switch in the 2nd waveform so you have two different shapes and you'll hear the octave seem to drop.

Later wave sequencers like Korg Wavestation worked out how to play one wave after another instead of making them into one waveform (that get longer & longer, therefore, deeper & deeper)

If I had the money I would totally grab the new Korg Wavestate...

RobC

24 Jan 2021

Benedict wrote:
25 May 2020

Oh, I very much like the flexibility of real FM.

I gotta say, I'm a bit confused. If there's a cycle of sawtooth, then a cycle of square (both cycles the same frequency), then they really drop in frequency? I gotta try this...

RobC

24 Jan 2021

Benedict wrote:
25 May 2020
you'll hear the octave seem to drop.
Meanwhile I realized, I already created a pair of cycles. : )

Anyway, it sounds as if the sound would also be played one octave lower at the same time. Interesting how our brains decode it. Slightly reminds me of how additional ghost notes appear when distorting chords.

• Information