What are you feeding Grain with?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Zac

19 May 2020

I'm only now really beginning to use my own samples with grain and I'm curious what you use?

At the minute I'm having great fun sampling EDS06 and Rostromo (soon to be Nostromo).

It's nice to make percussive sounds into synth patches and vice versa.

Loque

19 May 2020

I thnk its not so important what you feed it in, rather what you make of the feeded sample.
* For pads, i let it evolve
* For bass, i take a good "wave" of the sample
* For plucks everything, less moving
* Synths everything, less moving
* and so on...
Its rather the question, do you want the sound evolve or not?

And if you want to get a step further, you generate a sound, feed into a FM capable synth or use Europa and load the sample as Filter and you can go into the next loop. Add some fx in between...

Really, the door of the universe is open with Grain. Its just your own limits. But since i know, this comes from the new NI overpriced device, just try your own voice. Add some pitch shifting, FM or RM, resonate it with Kilohearts, Resonans or whatever...go deep into the rabit hole. The final sound comes more from the additional setup rather the base wave or sample.

Did yo uever thought to create something rythmik and combine it with something else? Like FM, Grain sample into the oscialltor or feed Europa?

So, i think this is my answer: No limits...and the result sometimes is a happy accident :-D
Reason12, Win10

Zac

19 May 2020

Loque wrote:
19 May 2020
I thnk its not so important what you feed it in, rather what you make of the feeded sample.
* For pads, i let it evolve
* For bass, i take a good "wave" of the sample
* For plucks everything, less moving
* Synths everything, less moving
* and so on...
Its rather the question, do you want the sound evolve or not?

And if you want to get a step further, you generate a sound, feed into a FM capable synth or use Europa and load the sample as Filter and you can go into the next loop. Add some fx in between...

Really, the door of the universe is open with Grain. Its just your own limits. But since i know, this comes from the new NI overpriced device, just try your own voice. Add some pitch shifting, FM or RM, resonate it with Kilohearts, Resonans or whatever...go deep into the rabit hole. The final sound comes more from the additional setup rather the base wave or sample.

Did yo uever thought to create something rythmik and combine it with something else? Like FM, Grain sample into the oscialltor or feed Europa?

So, i think this is my answer: No limits...and the result sometimes is a happy accident :-D
Haha good answer. Lot's to try there.

BRIGGS

19 May 2020

Tuned noise in Thor only sounds good in certain octave ranges...maybe Grain is better at these sounds.

Looks like I have work to do. :puf_smile:
r11s

motuscott

19 May 2020

These days, a six foot long tube.

😷
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

moggadeet

19 May 2020

Did you check the stream last week? It was somewhat related, with Koichi Sanchez tossing samples into Grain and improvising musical ideas off that.

Zac

19 May 2020

moggadeet wrote:
19 May 2020
Did you check the stream last week? It was somewhat related, with Koichi Sanchez tossing samples into Grain and improvising musical ideas off that.

No, I didn't, I'll take a look :thumbs_up:

Jackjackdaw

19 May 2020

I feed it with my guitar. An example...

guitfnky

19 May 2020

my favorite thing recently is to use Grain for cannibalism. lately, I only feed it an existing part from the song I’m currently working on—last time it was the main verse guitar. next time it might be a bounced synth or vocal.

it’s true it matters less which sample you use specifically, but in an odd way, it also matters more. what you choose to do after you’ve imported one sample will likely be drastically different than if you imported another instead. the end result will probably be very different too.

I’m sure importing something from the same song doesn’t result in a more usable sound, necessarily, but it feels interesting—like a weird way no one else knows about to ensure everything is rowing in the same direction in your song-boat. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

FGL

20 May 2020

Voices and Sample Packs are also very nice. Also the Romplers inside oft Reason or all kind of Recording.

challism

21 May 2020

I fed it with my guitar. It ate the whole thing in one gulp. I'm hesitant to feed it any more guitars. I'm going to miss that Strat.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

challism wrote:
21 May 2020
I fed it with my guitar. It ate the whole thing in one gulp. I'm hesitant to feed it any more guitars. I'm going to miss that Strat.
Give it the Strat man. They’re way too twangy anyway.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

21 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2020
challism wrote:
21 May 2020
😂

I just bought a Squier Strat after realizing I hadn’t even touched a Strat-style guitar in probably 20 years, and thought it would be nice to fill out my tonal options a bit. definitely a different beast (and that hum... 😳).

that said, it’s been an interesting (and fun) challenge to try to find tones I like with it. I prefer the meatier humbucker sound, but wondering if this might be a better option for my band, since we’ve been unsuccessfully fighting a war on muddiness for almost as long as I hadn’t touched a Strat. we’re all fighting for dominance in the low end, and something’s got to give. 😆

I might have to go and fire this up and pull a sample into Grain and get some tweaking before work...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2020

😂

I just bought a Squier Strat after realizing I hadn’t even touched a Strat-style guitar in probably 20 years, and thought it would be nice to fill out my tonal options a bit. definitely a different beast (and that hum... 😳).

that said, it’s been an interesting (and fun) challenge to try to find tones I like with it. I prefer the meatier humbucker sound, but wondering if this might be a better option for my band, since we’ve been unsuccessfully fighting a war on muddiness for almost as long as I hadn’t touched a Strat. we’re all fighting for dominance in the low end, and something’s got to give. 😆

I might have to go and fire this up and pull a sample into Grain and get some tweaking before work...
A humbucker man for the best part of my life and the I woke up to P90s. Oh yes!!! But...that hum. Damn you mains electricity :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

21 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 May 2020

😂

A humbucker man for the best part of my life and the I woke up to P90s. Oh yes!!! But...that hum. Damn you mains electricity :)
oddly enough, I don’t think I’ve ever actually played through P90s. I am not proud. 🤨

motuscott

21 May 2020

I've been using a borrowed Strat for two years cos I thought I was going to line the cavity of my Jazzmaster with copper tape, and replace a few funky switches...
What was that song, "And then I got high"...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

motuscott wrote:
21 May 2020
I've been using a borrowed Strat for two years cos I thought I was going to line the cavity of my Jazzmaster with copper tape, and replace a few funky switches...
What was that song, "And then I got high"...
My ‘74 SG was full of silver paper. Piece of crap.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2020

On the subject of pickups. I recently got a fishman rare earth active humbucker sound hole pickup for my acoustic. I just wanted something with no background noise/hum which it does, but i was blown away by the sound quality. Its the best acoustic guitar sound ive ever laid down with mic or direct. I recommend it.

guitfnky

21 May 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 May 2020
On the subject of pickups. I recently got a fishman rare earth active humbucker sound hole pickup for my acoustic. I just wanted something with no background noise/hum which it does, but i was blown away by the sound quality. Its the best acoustic guitar sound ive ever laid down with mic or direct. I recommend it.
interesting, I’ll have to check out some clips on that. I’ve never heard a good sounding acoustic pickup—they’ve always sounded terrible and unconvincing to my ears, so mics have always been the way to go for me. I’d love to hear these if they’ve finally managed to nail an authentic acoustic tone.

edit: just checked out their promo video...the single coil still sounds horrible to my ears. the humbucker sounds much better than the other acoustic pickups I’ve ever heard, but I’d still opt for a mic, given the chance (i.e. not live). but man, the humbucker with the built in mic combo? that sounds fantastic. :geek:
Last edited by guitfnky on 21 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2020

Ive always hated direct acoustics as well. I have had a fishman under saddle thingy for years and hated it the whole time. Hated piezo mics , hated every plugged in acoustic ive ever played. acoustic guitars have always sounded shit plugged in, but this one sounds mint.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

I had a Seymour Duncan SA-1 tube pick-up which I stuck in the soundhole of my Fender Newporter fastened with silver tape for playing live and found that totally ok. Then I got a Guild GAD-50E which is seriously a beautiful instrument. It's got a Fishman Acoustic Matrix VT System with Under Saddle Pickup and End Pin Mounted Active Preamp but I really hate the sound of it lined so it only got used live once which is a shame.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

NDKay

02 Jun 2020

I fell glorious in Love with the "Uggla" Presets. So I play a lot around with which part of the Presets sample gets worked on, because it has so many really nice glitchy synth sounds.

Because of this i started to play around with FX One Shot Sounds as samples.... and what can i say, its fun ( the definitive edition) :D
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

NDKay

02 Jun 2020

moggadeet wrote:
19 May 2020

btw, does anybody have the song file from the vid ?

i really would like to adapt the "direct-rec" principle for grain into my standard Template.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

Grain Fed! ;)
I like feeding it melodic snippets, or anything that has timbral variation over the length of the sample.
Selig Audio, LLC

mjxl

02 Jun 2020

Feed Grain anything, everything goes imo.

Would anyone have ANY idea what this sound came from, if it wasn't for the filename.
(Probably best not to listen to any of my shit sounds, but here goes lol)

https://www.mjxl.net/rsnsounds/CarreraGT-Graind.wav

• Information