Can you rank the order of players that you use more often?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

20 May 2020

I assume Scales and chords is the first for almost all?

which come next?

Thanks

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

AB Transpose
Chord Detector

Then even race between:
ST100
Note Echo
Dual Arp
Note Humanizer
Midi Compressor
CV Player
Drum Sequencer
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

rcube

20 May 2020

Drum Sequencer
Scales &Chords
Dual Arpeggio
Kompulsion

- The last three are not being used as much after I discovered HookPad :)

Seckin

20 May 2020

None, really. I prefer to be my own player.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

VariableX

20 May 2020

man i use tons of players, im a player junkie fo sho 😂
Obvs since i got Sequences its top, but I still use drum seq, kompulsion, scales and chords, evolution, quad note, delta, chord detector ones, RND, eucalid, there is more 😂

PhillipOrdonez

20 May 2020

Sequences, evolution, Delta, beatmap... I do use a ton more though. Players rule.

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2020

1.Drum sequencer keeps me a Reason user.
2. Quad Note Generator. Pretty bad for melodic stuff but excellent as a rhythm generator.
3.Note Echo , i mainly use this in combinators as a note on delay, especially good because i can modulate the delay time to humanise patches
4. Sequences by RB. Never makes it to tracks but i use all the time while designing sounds.
5.Autolatch by Static Cling, because i like to leave gates open while stuff happens

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

Just gotten into using players.
There are only 3 that I use though.

Beatmap
Evolution
Delta

gullum

21 May 2020

Does that say enough they are grayed out because I don't use them
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 09.59.04.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 09.59.04.png (131.33 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Bes
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

the majority of my workflow comes from kompulsion, chordline and delta and autolatch
when i do stuff with drums or a big machine of triggers i like to use ToneRows
- Certified Reason expert

EdGrip

21 May 2020

If a sequence of notes can't be played by my two hands on a piano, completely intentionally, I am not interested in hearing them. I certainly don't want any note I hear to be a surprise to me, or anyone else.

dioxide

21 May 2020

Player Receive Notes
UTL Modifier
Chords and Scales
Sequences

What I really need is PH Player versions of Redrum, Matrix and RPG8.

PhillipOrdonez

21 May 2020

I actually don't use scales and chords that much, as op imagines everyone does... The ones I listed are the ones I use the most, and s&c is nowhere near the top.

PhillipOrdonez

21 May 2020

Bes wrote:
21 May 2020
the majority of my workflow comes from kompulsion, chordline and delta and autolatch
when i do stuff with drums or a big machine of triggers i like to use ToneRows
I'd like to get more use out of tonerows, I just never know how to implement it into my workflow... I need to try to use it more often.

BlkRd

21 May 2020

EdGrip wrote:
21 May 2020
If a sequence of notes can't be played by my two hands on a piano, completely intentionally, I am not interested in hearing them. I certainly don't want any note I hear to be a surprise to me, or anyone else.
I never play my instruments with any strict intent, over and above a feel for a groove. I just feel around and play. Noodle, etc. I think the best creativity is spontaneous and surprises you. I love jamming and then thinking where did that come from. Its really exciting.

I felt similar about the players when announced, but I absolutely rate them. Regardless of playing myself, i find myself using them creatively on almost all tracks now. I especially like using them in the FX Rack within bitwig, feeding into a multitude of cool synths and vsts. You can be very intentional about the chords and notes you are programming. It's a whole other aspect of the spectrum of creativity using them. They are great for all "levels" of musician. I feel that with the ability to play yourself you can get these creative tools to take you so much further.

There are also times im not at my keyboard. I can load them up on my surface pro in bitwig or reason and create complex melodies, polyrythms and all sorts else while lying on my sofa with a nice green tea. When i get to the studio, i can get myself jamming along on the keyboard or guitar, taking things to even more interesting spaces.

In ignorance and through my ego I thought this would be computers making music for people, but having had to go through the learning curves to get the most out of them properly, I can see that there is no way they are writing songs for anyone. They are also good for beginners to learn music theory even, as you see all the chords, notes and relationships between.

Anyway, not personal, just quoted that comment as it got me thinking!

Hope we are all having fun regardless of our styles,

Peace

*Edit, In my self important rant i forgot to say the ones i use...
All the props ones included in suite at different times - though i stiill predominatly use a series of redrums as my drum sequencers

joeyluck

21 May 2020

Hard to choose an order. These are my most used Players.

Workflow essentials:
Velocity Curve - Andrew Russell
AB Transpose - Tonicmint

Make it new and different in a snap:
AutoLatch - Static Cling
Negate - Tonicmint

Get inspired:
Beat Map - Robotic Bean / RS
Evolution Sequencer - Lectric Panda
Quad Note Generator - Lectric Panda / RS

Swiss Army knife:
Delta MIDI Computer - Static Cling

DougalDarkly

21 May 2020

Been using Drum Sequencer for a while (without 'surprise' notes btw, although I cannot play drums IRL) along with endless and surprising fun with Evolution.

I also use some of the more 'utility' player devices like InRange, AB Transpose, NoteView and CV Player Tap extensively.

Bewlay

21 May 2020

Is Drum Sequencer new in Reason 11? Bit of a tricky one for internet searches.
I've used Dual Arpeggio a couple of times, I think, but the players generally get left un-used by me. So far anyway.
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

PhillipOrdonez

21 May 2020

Bewlay wrote:
21 May 2020
Is Drum Sequencer new in Reason 11? Bit of a tricky one for internet searches.
I've used Dual Arpeggio a couple of times, I think, but the players generally get left un-used by me. So far anyway.
It isn't new in Reason 11. I got it free with the 10 upgrade I think. Is it included in Reason 11 standard?

EdGrip

21 May 2020

BlkRd wrote:
21 May 2020
EdGrip wrote:
21 May 2020
I never play my instruments with any strict intent, over and above a feel for a groove. I just feel around and play. Noodle, etc. I think the best creativity is spontaneous and surprises you. I love jamming and then thinking where did that come from. Its really exciting.

I felt similar about the players when announced, but I absolutely rate them. Regardless of playing myself, i find myself using them creatively on almost all tracks now. I especially like using them in the FX Rack within bitwig, feeding into a multitude of cool synths and vsts. You can be very intentional about the chords and notes you are programming. It's a whole other aspect of the spectrum of creativity using them. They are great for all "levels" of musician. I feel that with the ability to play yourself you can get these creative tools to take you so much further.

There are also times im not at my keyboard. I can load them up on my surface pro in bitwig or reason and create complex melodies, polyrythms and all sorts else while lying on my sofa with a nice green tea. When i get to the studio, i can get myself jamming along on the keyboard or guitar, taking things to even more interesting spaces.

In ignorance and through my ego I thought this would be computers making music for people, but having had to go through the learning curves to get the most out of them properly, I can see that there is no way they are writing songs for anyone. They are also good for beginners to learn music theory even, as you see all the chords, notes and relationships between.

Anyway, not personal, just quoted that comment as it got me thinking!

Hope we are all having fun regardless of our styles,

Peace

*Edit, In my self important rant i forgot to say the ones i use...
All the props ones included in suite at different times - though i stiill predominatly use a series of redrums as my drum sequencers
Yes! That's my feelings too. My post was sarcasm, but I know you can't always get that across on the internet. There's still a bit of an attitude that things like Players are toys, or a poor alternative to simply being a really good keyboard player. It's an attitude that lacks imagination (create "prepared pianos" by piling up Euclidean Rhythms and restricting them to one note) and also self-awareness (everyone's hands do certain things when they sit at a piano. Habit and muscle memory.)

Different ways of sculpting. You can start with an armature and add clay, or you can start with a lump of clay and cut away. Surrender your hard-earned skills to chaos. Kill your darlings.

• Information